Dokken & Lynch Mob (and related bands)

Nicely produced by Shirley. You obviously can't salvage Don's voice at this point, but it's a good one and sounds nice.

None of these three most recently posted tracks do anything for me.

“Fugitive” definitely sounds like Dokken. Don’s voice isn’t bad but I kinda wish he’d do country instead of metal. There’s no power left in his cords.

“Sledgehammer” is whatever.

“Radioactive” really gets me. The original song is 4000x better than whatever they’re doing here. Musically it’s interesting but nothing mindblowing, and then the vocals on top of it? It sounds like a drunken Joe Walsh doing cocaine to focus on the words. Now I’m no Imagine Dragons fan, but damn man. In the original song the moment they hit that “I feel it in my bones” it’s utterly powerful, like we are all standing united as empires fall. The music blasts triumphantly and the gang vocals feel like a revolution. I never thought I’d say this but I really miss Dan Reynolds here. I don’t know who’s singing on this track but it is some weak sauce. It’s like going in to McDonald’s and ordering a Big Mac but there’s literally no meat on it. Motherfucker. I know inflation sucks right now but please. All you’ve got here is bread and lettuce and I can’t probably eat that anyway. If I want a Big Mac I want a Big Mac. If I want a lettuce sandwich with Thousand Island dressing and three pieces of bread, I’ll just make a lettuce sandwich with Thousand Island dressing and three pieces of bread. How the fuck are you gonna stand there and tell me that this is your signature item when the end result is legitimately a sad disappointment. I’m paying four dollars for a lettuce sandwich with Thousand Island dressing and three pieces of bread. Okay? How are you gonna advertise your damn album with a song that shits completely all over the original, which is anyway one of like three good songs that damn Some Dungeons, No Dragons band has ever released, with shitty synths and shittier vocals? Who does that? Why would you do that to me? I am a proud and hardworking American. And I want my music to reflect that. I listen to “Radioactive”. I wipe my brow. I sweat my rust. I listen to YOUR “Radioactive”. I wipe my ass. I slap my nuts. Give me Dungeness Crabs & Dragons any day of the weak. Give me Danielewski Reinaldo any day of the weak. Who the hell is singing in that cover and why is he 96% responsibly for the current climate disaster unfolding? Glaciers are trying to liquidate to avoid hearing any more of his voice. Anyway, “Radioactive” indeed. If I listen to anymore of that I’ll probably contract cancer. 3/10 not bad it just sucks is all. #DieselReviews

First (and probably only) single from Guitars At The End Of The World. The core is a straightforward uptempo bluesy number, but the songwriting detours are what elevate it. Love it.

Hot take on Heavy Hitters II is that the music is well done, but the singer they chose to work with is a bad fit for about 2/3 of the material. He's technically a totally fine singer, and he fits well with the funk and soul covers, but that whiny, thin-timbred voice of his doesn't go well with songs that need a softer or deeper feel. You get used to him after repeated listens, but some of these songs would have worked much better with a different singer.

Also, the verses of "Radioactive" have some serious "Solar Confinement" DNA running through them...

The Lynch Mob albums haven't really grabbed me after the first two back in the 90s, and based on this single I don't think my position on that is likely to change.

Hot take on Guitars At The End Of The World after one listen is that it's comparable in quality, breadth, and level of experimentation to Seamless, which was excellent. Need some more time to let it sink in.

I also just realized that Orchestral Mayhem, which came out in 2010, is actually Lynch's first all-instrumental album, so I'm not sure why Rat Pak was marketing Seamless as such. (I rediscovered this while putting together a playlist of all of Lynch's instrumental tracks...)

This one is actually quite good musically, though I think Don fumbles the chorus melodies and harmonies. This was an issue on his first solo album, too — he doesn’t really maintain the momentum or give a payoff, he kind of meanders off the road instead. Kudos to Jon Levin, though.

Interesting, sounds like Babylon is the end of the road for Lynch Mob, and George is going to focus on other projects.

If you haven’t voted in Part 1, Round 28 of the Greatest Metal Song Cup yet, Sweet & Lynch’s “Me Without You” is neck and neck with Aerosmith’s “Back In The Saddle”, and could use your help to avoid elimination! Voting ends later today.

EDIT: It lost in the end, but thanks to anyone who pitched in.

Last edited:
Back