Dokken & Lynch Mob (and related bands)

1609-GeorgeLynchJeffPilson-WickedUnderground-10x10-1-559x559.jpg

Interesting, I didn't realize this album was re-released in 2020 with a bonus track and new cover art. Gotta say the new art is way better, IMO...

Thanks for the info. Listened to that album a few years ago, and I will check it out again now.

I remember that Lynch tried some more modern sounding metal riffs and effects on that album, while it also had some traditional stuff.

Last edited:
Reactions: Jer
Thanks for the info. Listened to that album a few years ago, and I will check it out again now.

I remember that Lynch tried some more modern sounding metal riffs and effects on that album, while also it had some traditional stuff.
Yeah, I liked that album a lot, and I still bust it out from time to time. I remember the early demos they posted online for "When You Bleed" and "The Evil That You Are" had just badass, rip-roaring Dokken vibes, but the final album versions didn't have the same amount of life to them. Still really strong overall, though.

Lynch & Pilson also played on this tribute, together with Dee Snider, Bob Kulick and Jason Bonham.

I liked the extended solo section.

I skipped the opening silliness and jumped straight to the meat of the interview. The interviewer is a bit cringey, but Lynch offers up some surprisingly honest responses.

Apparently Frontiers rejected half of the upcoming Sweet & Lynch album, something that’s never happened to Lynch before. He rewrote 4 songs, then two of the rewrites were also rejected and he had to rewrite them again. He said he was ultimately happy with the end result, but he used all of the rejected Sweet & Lynch songs for his new Lynch Mob album instead, ironically also being published by Frontiers, who apparently didn’t realize what he’d done. Interesting.

Also interesting, I didn’t know this was even a thing — you can buy a version of George Lynch’s Seamless with all the guitar solos removed if you want to play your own solos on top of them instead. Huh.

I actually got into Lynch's music thanks to watching the Sweet & Lynch - The Wish video when it came out in 2014.

I also remember reading that the first time that they met in person was to take some promo shots and to record that video.

Last edited:
Reactions: Jer
Oof, I was blissfully unaware of this rap-metal version of "Kiss Of Death" from Lynch Mob's infamous Smoke This period. Allow me to share my pain with the rest of you:

An odd Maiden-related quote from this piece:

Regarding the experience of working with Shirley for the first time, Don said: "Kevin Shirley is an amazing engineer. When he first started mixing the record, I was really disappointed. He gave me the first song and I went, 'This sounds like '80s.' And he goes, 'Well, I thought that's what you were going for.' And I said, 'That ship has sailed, man. I want a modern record — punchy, aggressive, in your face. I don't want a bunch of reverb, I don't want a bunch of echo. I don't want a bunch of production — just harmonies I want still.' So he goes, 'Oh, okay, I get it.' I said, 'Look, I just heard the IRON MAIDEN album. That thing kicks ass. Just go that direction.' So he did."

An odd Maiden-related quote from this piece:

Regarding the experience of working with Shirley for the first time, Don said: "Kevin Shirley is an amazing engineer. When he first started mixing the record, I was really disappointed. He gave me the first song and I went, 'This sounds like '80s.' And he goes, 'Well, I thought that's what you were going for.' And I said, 'That ship has sailed, man. I want a modern record — punchy, aggressive, in your face. I don't want a bunch of reverb, I don't want a bunch of echo. I don't want a bunch of production — just harmonies I want still.' So he goes, 'Oh, okay, I get it.' I said, 'Look, I just heard the IRON MAIDEN album. That thing kicks ass. Just go that direction.' So he did."

Cool! I wouldn't have minded an 80's sounding record, doing the retro thing - but Shirley worked on this? Definitely going to add it to my collection, no matter what it sounds like.

Hmm, not so sure about the two singles released so far from Heavy Hitters II (Imagine Dragons' "Radioactive" and Peter Gabriel's "Sledgehammer")...

Weird video. And Don's voice sounds completely busted and propped up by studio gimmicks to me, though the end result isn't awful. But it's painful to think about Jon Levin claiming that Don was "totally nailing it" in the studio.

The song itself is fine. Some nice guitar bits, some nice melodic bits, though nothing particularly great IMO.

Weird video. And Don's voice sounds completely busted and propped up by studio gimmicks to me, though the end result isn't awful. But it's painful to think about Jon Levin claiming that Don was "totally nailing it" in the studio.

The song itself is fine. Some nice guitar bits, some nice melodic bits, though nothing particularly great IMO.

I kind of liked the video. It reminded me of their 80's videos. "Breaking the Chains" was supremely weird.

Have long since come to terms with what vocal ability there is left. But I think it's a nice song, and basically coming out of (album) retirement and releasing an album 11 years since the last one? I think this is great, all things considered. No embarrassment needed. We can of course have different perspectives, but at this point - does it rock? Very much.

Only Don is left of the classic lineup, and it still sounds 100% Dokken. They could have made an ass out of themselves trying to do something else.

Back