Does the rebooted 'classic' tours...

I disagree on Nicko. Nicko makes more mistakes, live. And his overall drumming is less impressive than in the old days. One listening session to Somewhere in Time or Live After Death or A Real Live One is all that's needed. And it's normal. He was in his prime back then, I even believe he said that himself. Of course, it's still amazing to hear a 60-plus guy give all he has, but he has become less stable.

I'd take Nicko's drumming on "Flight 666" than at any other point in his time with Maiden. As I said, he played songs too fast in the 80s-90s, which also meant that Bruce found it really hard to sing them live.

I agree that his drumming this year has been a bit on the slow side for the song you have mentioned though.

Well, I certainly wouldn't agree with the "guitard god" bit, considering how many fantastic guitarists are around nowadays (again, before I receive any remark from the Adrian Smith League, no provocation intended), but you are right with Bruce and Nicko.

For Maiden standards the guy is a guitar god. :lol: And thankfully not a fast shredder. He combines skills and feeling in a way that not many guitarists come (Michael Schenker is probably the best example of what I mean; Adrian is now on that league). ;)

I know that. I don't mean to provoke, either. I just don't remember ever seeing him post anything even remotely acknowledging any achievements of his.

Harrisdevot has a personal dislike for Adrian. He'll never admit Adrian's done anything good, even if he discovers life on Mars or cure for AIDS. He'll just say some of Steve's genius has rubbed off on him.

This is absolutely untrue. I just think he is slightly overrated as a song writer and as a guitar player... which doesn't mean I dislike him (the man certainly doesn't do anything that would lead any Maiden fan to dislike him). Read what I wrote a few posts earlier : I recognize he has greatly improved over the years, and love some of his songs. I just don't see him as the genius some of you imagine and I just prefer Harris' (and most of Murray's) songs.

I get into occasional bickering with my friend, who believes Adrian Smith is also a "god amongst guitarists", where I've always been more of a Dave Murray fan.

Do I hate Adrian because I like Dave more? Hell no. He is a remarkable guitarist; I've just always preferred Dave's style and most of his solos over Adrian's. Dave Murray is probably the sole reason I learned how to play guitar. But anyways, I would have to agree with harrisdevot's above post that Adrian is a bit overrated. It seems that a majority of Iron Maiden fans (at least the ones that I've ever come across) prefer Adrian to Dave; sometimes without legit reason, other than that he is just the more "popular" guitarist. And while there is nothing wrong with that, I am just not with them on the matter. Heh

Last edited:
Great ! Let's say that if Maiden were a group a fishermen, Adrian would captain them. That said, this is one these things that make him sympathic : this is miles away from the "star system" bullshit (though he couldn't help to have a picture taken :p).

44.jpg

Why can't we be friends?

Wait a minute. I need a lawyer ; I have got the right to be defended.
Well, maybe it would be great to be a martyr of holy Harry:angel:.

1. I don't mind if people like one Maiden member better than the rest. Provided that's not Dennis Stratton, of course.
2. I perfectly understand why one may prefer other band members over Adrian. But I haven't seen any Adrian fan on the forum talking bull about any other band member. Except for Dennis Stratton.
3. Fishermen have to take pictures. How could they possibly prove they caught a 700 kg carp if they don't have it on a picture?

Has anyone ever actually said they prefer Janick over Smith and Murray?

Don't be silly!

I don't think that, from a technical point of view, Janick's addition has improved the band (no provocation intended, just a personal remark ).

I disagree. Every Maiden album has a rhythm guitar recorded underneath unison and solo sections. A third guitarist allows for that sound to be represented live. Live versions of songs from 80's and 90's sound incredibly thin compared to the new shows, because they are fuller nowadays. And though he may be sloppy sometimes, his stage presence really does add a lot, cause God knows Davey and H are not showmen.

I think the history tours are brilliant, and I've still yet to see one. I don't think "Give Em Ed" really counts...

As far as their improvement in recent years, I completely agree. Nicko might not be as fluid as he once was, but for the most part, he's more solid. There's some recordings from the Maiden England-era that sound like The Ramones and Bruce can't even sing along because the beat is so fast. Adrian continues to improve dramatically every year in his playing and Janick continues to improve and contribute as a very good songwriter. Bruce is light years better than he ever was at gigs, no question. And considering he's louder than everyone else for two hours a night, that's very important. Steve, well, Steve is invincible and performs exactly the way he did at 22. Dave may be simplifying things a bit, but I think that's bound to happen (especially on history tours). He's played the same solos for 30+ years, I'm sure the challenge is long gone. He takes more risks live when they play new material.

Back