Does the rebooted 'classic' tours...

I wouldn't have thought so, they're just a small taster of past tours for those of us who missed out first time around. I suppose you'd need to talk to someone who was at the original ones, but I imagine the atmosphere for one thing is different, especially where the venues today are much bigger.

I do not think so at all, and I think part of the reason is that are not trying to create an exact duplicate of the 1980s .. which for a lot of reasons would be impossible ... most of all that they are 30-ish years older.

I think these are a good idea to highlight certain eras of the band and play some songs that would not normally be played and some of which will never be played again.

I will not claim their set lists are perfect, but the formula of history tour/new material tour/history tour is about as good as it gets with older bands (most of which do not play anything new) .

I should add ... besides the band being 30-ish years older .. I am that much older too.

On the way to the original SiT tour for example, I remember I went with 3 friends, we had tickets .. but no money for t-shirts, smokes (various kinds), and food. So, we stopped at a grocery store where they used to keep the bottles from bottle return in the front (google it if you do not know what this is :) )

We took those bottles, took them in the store for the deposit, then would wait for them to put them back in the return and take them to the next store and return those (plus any other bottles they may have had) and did this thought about 20 stores on the way to the show (we left 4 hours early) and made enough money for all of us to get shirts, smokes (both kinds) and food.

Then did the same thing on the way to Dallas to see the show there as well.

I do not need to do that anymore ... besides Maiden being different ... the old fans (if they care to admit it or not) have generally grown up a bit as well and as in my case really enjoy seeing my kids getting into Maiden.

I don't think so. Those classic tours are still classic...and as Bearfan said they haven't gone out there to "rewrite" anything or duplicate the past...In that aspect it is different than bands that for example re-record their albums and what not.

But it's a great question! The whole idea of going out there and commemorating those past tours and albums was definitely a smart idea business/financial wise to get some more touring done and make some money...That's for sure.

I think the Early Days tour was the best homage to its era. SBIT was great, but not perfect ( what with FOTD, not planning for ME and thus having a bunch of Seventh Son in 2008 instead of, say, Flight of Icarus, Phantom, Children of the Damned)... and ME is
the shoddiest. Lazy setlist, uninspired stage set, and no Infinite Dreams! I don't know if it cheapens the original, but it certainly doesn't do it justice.

I agree that Early Days tour was the best history tour. Sure, we didn't get retro stages but that setlist was fucking awesome.

I agree that Early Days tour was the best history tour. Sure, we didn't get retro stages but that setlist was fucking awesome.

Funnily enough, I would have preferred to hear songs like 'The prisoner', 'Children of the damned' or 'Flight of Icarus' on that tour rather than 'Another life', 'Drifter' or 'Sanctuary'. 'Remember tomorrow' and 'Where eagles dare' were amazing though.

I guess it is all a matter of taste. My personal favourite is possibly the "Somewhere back in time" tour, and I think I liked the "Maiden England" one more than "The early days" tour.

Definitely a matter of taste, because I would take all the songs they played over the ones you mentioned. :p

I didn't see SBIT, so I only have the few bootlegs and Flight 666 to go by, but it was my least favorite of the three. I think they really missed out on some opportunities with that one. Maiden England was amazing though, possibly the best Maiden show I've ever seen.

By the way, when I said Early Days was the best of the three, I just meant as far as setlists go.

Definitely a matter of taste, because I would take all the songs they played over the ones you mentioned. :p

I didn't see SBIT, so I only have the few bootlegs and Flight 666 to go by, but it was my least favorite of the three. I think they really missed out on some opportunities with that one. Maiden England was amazing though, possibly the best Maiden show I've ever seen.

By the way, when I said Early Days was the best of the three, I just meant as far as setlists go.

I have never been a fan of "Killers" ("Fillers" is how I call it :lol: ), so I'd rather have listened to more 1982-1983 songs on that tour instead. It was a good setlist with some amazing gems ('Remember tomorrow', 'Where eagles dare', 'Revelations'), but the encore was, in my humble opinion, a bit of a let-down. I did really enjoy the show though. :)

Happily, I'm probably going to be pleased with whatever they do next, because there's still so many songs I've never heard live.

I have never been a fan of "Killers" ("Fillers" is how I call it :lol: ), so I'd rather have listened to more 1982-1983 songs on that tour instead. It was a good setlist with some amazing gems ('Remember tomorrow', 'Where eagles dare', 'Revelations'), but the encore was, in my humble opinion, a bit of a let-down. I did really enjoy the show though. :)
Yea well I love Killers, so there you go.

Like most of you, The Early Days has been my favorite tour, among those history tours. But, it had clearly nothing to do with the original versions, simply because DiAnno wasn't onstage for the 80-81 songs. I loved hearing Another Life and Remember Tomorrow live for the first time, and it was great to get Were Eagles Dare. The following tours are more ambiguous : they are closer to the original ones, without exactly replicating them. I love the part of nostalgy in it, but those tours are just a pale reflection of the past. And Bearfan perfectly got the point : we also got older, and we are also listening to songs from OUR past, which bring back some memories. In some respect, it helps to understand better how important Maiden have been for some of us.

I think we sometimes tend to see the past with rose tinted glasses. Maiden are nowadays a much better live band than 30 years ago. OK, part of the agression that comes with youth has disappeared, but from a musicianship point of view things have improved significantly.

Maiden are nowadays a much better live band than 30 years ago. OK, part of the agression that comes with youth has disappeared, but from a musicianship point of view things have improved significantly.

Really ? They were a really tight band back in the 80s. And, taken invidually, while Adrian has improved a lot, it's not the case with Davey, who tend to oversimplify his solos, and I don't think that, from a technical point of view, Janick's addition has improved the band (no provocation intended, just a personal remark ).

Really ? They were a really tight band back in the 80s. And, taken invidually, while Adrian has improved a lot, it's not the case with Davey, who tend to oversimplify his solos, and I don't think that, from a technical point of view, Janick's addition has improved the band (no provocation intended, just a personal remark ).

Apart from Davey, who has gone lazier with his solos, all the other band members have improved significantly as musicians, particularly Adrian (the guy is a guitar god nowadays), Nicko (thankfully he does not speed up the songs like crazy anymore) and Bruce, who is MILES better live now than in the 80s.

Well, I certainly wouldn't agree with the "guitard god" bit, considering how many fantastic guitarists are around nowadays (again, before I receive any remark from the Adrian Smith League, no provocation intended), but you are right with Bruce and Nicko.

I disagree on Nicko. Nicko makes more mistakes, live. And his overall drumming is less impressive than in the old days. One listening session to Somewhere in Time or Live After Death or A Real Live One is all that's needed. And it's normal. He was in his prime back then, I even believe he said that himself. Of course, it's still amazing to hear a 60-plus guy give all he has, but he has become less stable.

Back