DIO

Saw Last In Line last night and they were spot on. Featuring Vivian Campbell & Vinnie Appice with Phil Soussan on bass and Andrew Freeman on vocals. Andy NAILED the vocals and every band member did great. Here is something Andy said from stage: "Every song we play live, whether old or new, was co-written by Vivian and Vinnie so let's take the tag "cover band" and throw it away. There are only four guys up here making this music; no holograms, nobody backstage, no back tracks; the way it should be". I thought that was pretty cool. The one time Phil spoke to the audience was to pay tribute to the late Jimmy Bain.

One odd thing I noticed: not once did they mention DIO!. Anyway, prior to this show being announced I did not know much about them and confused them with Dio Disciples. Did not even know LIL put out a cd of original material 2 years ago. Really rocks!

Strange they rarely play anything off Sacred Heart. The original songs they play sounded great live!

https://www.setlist.fm/setlist/last-in-line/2018/the-pub-fountains-stafford-tx-3ecf9df.html

A friend of mine has asked me to do a Dio ''Best Of'' compilation for him - he knows the most famous songs by him and he is a fan of heavy metal and rock, but he do not want to listen to the full albums (which is strange to me) and that's where I have to help.

Basically, he wants a 20 song ''best of'' from Dio, which is a hard task, because he has many great songs ! At first, I wanted to include at least one song per album, but some of his later albums are not so good compared to the first two classic albums full of hits, which are ''best of'' from him as a whole albums !

So guys, this is the list that I created for him and I ask you if you like it, or I need to add other song or more songs, or to swap some song.... :)

DIO Best Of 1983-2004:

1.Stand Up And Shout
2.Holy Diver
3.Caught In The Middle
4.Don't Talk To Strangers
5.Straight Through The Heart
6.Rainbow In The Dark
7.We Rock
8.The Last In Line
9.I Speed At Night
10.One Night In The City
11.Evil Eyes
12.Mystery
13.Egypt (The Chains Are On)
14.King Of Rock and Roll
15.Sacred Heart
16.Rock 'N' Roll Children
17.Hungry For Heaven
18.Dream Evil
19.All The Fools Sailed Away
20.I Could Have Been A Dreamer

I also have considered these other songs, which can be added to the list:

- Time To Burn (bonus studio song from the Intermission live album '86)
- Wild One
- Hey Angel
- As Long As It's Not About Love
- Losing My Insanity

Last edited:
In the main that is a pretty good selection of songs, and probably enough to give him a starter. If he doesn’t want to go and investigate the albums fully afterwards, then so be it.

If I was to add anymore then I think there are a couple of good tracks on Magica, Fever Dreams and Challis, while Killing the Dragon is a pretty solid album, and something from it could be included, perhaps, Push or Better in the Dark.

So this is for the Dio standalone act only, not spanning his whole career?
Push is a big one - it had good coverage when it came out. I've always been a fan of Master of the Moon.
Yes :yes: But now when you mentioned it, I think I will do for myself a ''Best Of'' of Dio, including his best songs with Rainbow and Black Sabbath. :ok:

Oh yeah, Push is a good song. Master of the Moon is a very heavy album, especially the title track, which has a good chorus.
In the main that is a pretty good selection of songs, and probably enough to give him a starter. If he doesn’t want to go and investigate the albums fully afterwards, then so be it.

If I was to add anymore then I think there are a couple of good tracks on Magica, Fever Dreams and Challis, while Killing the Dragon is a pretty solid album, and something from it could be included, perhaps, Push or Better in the Dark.
Yeah, I also think this is a very good list with all of the greatest hits by Dio :)

Well, I myself have to back and listen again these albums - it has been a while. But I find hard to include a song from the albums Strange Highways and Angry Machines - any suggestions ?

Last edited:
The title off Strange Highways is my favourite. Hunter of the Heart for Angry Machines.

I actually meant the title track. The rest of the album is decent, but the title track is the best song.

Oh, ok then. Dio is a master and a magical singer ! So many amazing and legendary songs that he had sang.... :notworthy:

Have you considered "Throw Away Children" from Killing The Dragon? Kind of older DIO meets newer DIO.

Good to see love for Caught in the Middle and All The Fools Sailed Away ;)

Have you considered "Throw Away Children" from Killing The Dragon? Kind of older DIO meets newer DIO.

Good to see love for Caught in the Middle and All The Fools Sailed Away ;)

Actually, yes. Throw Away Children is not a bad song, again very heavy riff, but it has that classic Dio feel in it.

Caught In The Middle is very underrated - great rock song with fantastic tempo, and the chorus is gold ! All The Fools Sailed Away always has been a classic to me. :)

Last edited:
A friend of mine has asked me to do a Dio ''Best Of'' compilation for him - he knows the most famous songs by him and he is a fan of heavy metal and rock, but he do not want to listen to the full albums (which is strange to me) and that's where I have to help.

Basically, he wants a 20 song ''best of'' from Dio, which is a hard task, because he has many great songs ! At first, I wanted to include at least one song per album, but some of his later albums are not so good compared to the first two classic albums full of hits, which are ''best of'' from him as a whole albums !

So guys, this is the list that I created for him and I ask you if you like it, or I need to add other song or more songs, or to swap some song.... :)

DIO Best Of 1983-2004:

1.Stand Up And Shout
2.Holy Diver
3.Caught In The Middle
4.Don't Talk To Strangers
5.Straight Through The Heart
6.Rainbow In The Dark
7.We Rock
8.The Last In Line
9.I Speed At Night
10.One Night In The City
11.Evil Eyes
12.Mystery
13.Egypt (The Chains Are On)
14.King Of Rock and Roll
15.Sacred Heart
16.Rock 'N' Roll Children
17.Hungry For Heaven
18.Dream Evil
19.All The Fools Sailed Away
20.I Could Have Been A Dreamer

I also have considered these other songs, which can be added to the list:

- Time To Burn (bonus studio song from the Intermission live album '86)
- Wild One
- Hey Angel
- As Long as It's Not About Love
- Losing My Insanity

List is good but IMO no Dio playlist is complete with only his solo bands material, his work in Rainbow and Sabbath is just too good to pass up that being said id add in the following tracks from those bands as a 2nd set:
Rainbow:
1. Stargazer (Rough Mix, adds a synth intro which I feel completes the song, the rest is the same)
2. Tarot Woman
3. Gates of Babylon
4. Long Live Rock and Roll
5. Kill the King
6. Man on the Silver Mountain
7. Mistreated (Live)
8. Catch the Rainbow
9. Temple of the King
10. A Light in the Black
Black Sabbath/Heaven and Hell
11. Computer God
12. The Mob Rules
13. Neon Nights
14. Sign of the Southern Cross
15. Die Young
16. Bible Black
17. I
18. Children of the Sea
19. Follow the Tears
20. Heaven and Hell

Honourable Mentions:
After All, Falling off the edge of the world, lonely is the word and lady evil

List is good but IMO no Dio playlist is complete with only his solo bands material, his work in Rainbow and Sabbath is just too good to pass up that being said id add in the following tracks from those bands as a 2nd set:

That's true, but my task was only for Dio solo albums ! His albums with Rainbow are gold and with Black Sabbath has a great classics. Great selection of songs btw. ;)

Back