DC Extended Universe Thread (Spoilers inside!)

Saw Suicide Squad.
It's a mess. It's not pretentious as BvS and has more heart, but probable studio interference ruined it. Joker was really really bad. I think they should've gone with less members, Killer Croc and Katana didn't have much to do. Enchantress's CGI final battle was really bad. Actress is OK, just doesn't fit the role. I think they should've kept her for the sequel anyway, her storyline was incredibly rushed. Harley Quinn was OK but is massively overrated; same goes for the actress. (P.S. I also don't think she's as hot as all the hype suggests :p) Also I felt that some of the flashbacks were not good for the pace of the movie. Batman's cameo was cool. Flash... I honestly think the suit looks gross and the actor is super annoying. At least the visuals were much better than that of BvS.

Buzz in Hollywood is that Suicide Squad totally stinks. Too bad, I was kind of looking forward to that one. Oh well, at least that's $50 I can spend on something else. Maybe I'll catch it on Netflix in six months.

Luckily my theater has a weekly matinee for $5, otherwise I'd rarely go.

I like having a sister that is a manager at one of the theatre chains here. Free tickets abound!

Luckily my theater has a weekly matinee for $5, otherwise I'd rarely go.
I do rarely go. The home theater experience is much better, at least for me. A movie has to really justify big-screen and million-dollar sound system viewing to get me to the cineplex nowadays. I think the last film I saw in a movie theater was the Captain America vs. Iron Man movie, and before that was Christmastime, when I saw The Hateful 8 and the Star Wars movie.

I read another crappy review of Suicide Squad today. Someone I know was an extra in it and he's gutted with the poor reviews it's been receiving.

Cinema here is something like £10 a ticket.

Price here greatly varies by which theater. Edwards (Regal) is at least $15 while AMC matinee can be as low as $4!

Saw Suicide Squad.
Glad we saw a bit more of Batman than the trailer indicated. The mid-credits scene was a disappointment. Although I am glad DC finally had a credits scene and at least now we know HOW Bruce is finding the future JL members. I agree there were too many members to Task Force X. Croc did not have enough to do. Will Smith is too nice to play Deadshot; not heartless enough. I think Robbie nailed Harley, and yes she is a babe. Jared's take on Joker is different than we have seen before but like David Ayers said, if he is to be portrayed as the king of the night life, the over the top colors in his clothing and car, as well as his teeth and tattoos, fit. Sure hope we will see more of them in the Batman movie.

Viola Davis does get to show us how cold-blooded Amanda is. I like the fact this film ties in more with the JL than I thought it would. The Enchantress is obviously DC's way to introduce magic into the DCEU, but she was too much like a character from The Grudge or Conjuring movies for me.
I enjoyed the film, but at times it just seemed...too much

I feel in 10 months, Wonder Woman will finally give the EU some respect. Her appearance in BvS was the ONLY time the audience cheered. Plus the reaction to her trailer is very good.

I feel in 10 months, Wonder Woman will finally give the EU some respect.
And then we'll be saying that Justice League will give it respect. It's not going to happen unless Warner Bros has major overhauls and even then I really think the whole foundation of the universe is flawed. By the time they get their act together, the super hero bubble will be ready to burst, if it hasn't already.

Also, we still don't even know if Gal Gadot can act. People liked her in BVS because it was cool seeing that character on the big screen (finally!) and her action parts were cool. Can she carry a movie though?

After watching Dawn of Justice, seeing the trailer for it and reading few thoughts on the movie I had no desire to watch this one. But it was boring Monday afternoon and my cinema had a 2D viewing (which is extremly rare) so I decided to go. Lowered my expectations as much as I could and I did somehow enjoyed it.
Don't get me wrong - it's still a really bad movie, but I liked it more then Dawn of Justice. Maybe because I lowered my expectations but probably because it doesn't try to be serious and preachy as BvS. There are numerous things that bug me in this one but it didn't "push itself" on me like BvS, which made it more enjoyable. But I must say a thing or two about Joker/Jared Leto.

There were a lot of buzz during the cast announcement, trailers, and premieres that was eventually concluded with a lawsuit that he wasn't enough in the movie (only 15 min of screen time as far as I could read). Don't care for that because his representation in this movie (and current DC universe) is what bothered me. First, I think his acting was OK, as in acting only (mimics, gestures, voice etc.). But his charachter portrayal was awful. From what I could experience him from comics, cartoons and movies Joker is agressive lunatic sociopath but he is also - a gentleman. Definitely not some Russion billionare Instagram wannabe star (that I've later read was inspiration for Jared Leto when he was preparing for the role, WTF?!). I mean Joker doesn't give a damn about gold watches and chains, VIP rooms in clubs and luxury and definitely doesn't have the need to write on his forehead "damaged", because his actions should say that. It's just awful. Jared Leto maybe had wrong starting point but I think studio interference messed it up completely because I can see they've done that to some other charachters also - Alfred became from a preachy butler with quirky mom remarks to know-it-all tech genius sidekick; Lex Luthor, a mastermind became fake-Zuckenberg Joker-wannabe etc. I know they need to bring those charachter to modern times and younger audiences, but they could also find a way to keep "the class" that those charachters had in previous portrayals. What's next: Batgirl as uptown golddigger party girl? Penguin as student geek/outcast Bitcoin deceiver? I don't have anything against them "modernized" but they should keep some core element of what they trully are.

Last of all, this is probably what bothered me the most. At the beginning of the movie there were few moments where they've really woken up DC nostalgia in me. I think in the scene where Batman arrests Deadshot I thought: "They can really build up this new DC universe nicely if they watch the pacing". But then it all merged and blurred in typical Hollywood shoutouts and fights that were probably made just because "they would look cool". Bah. Just two thumbs down, no toe curving for this one.

So JL is releasing the same month as Thor: Ragnorok. Which do you think will do more box office?
Thor will be joined by Hulk with probable Planet Hulk storyline. Fans have been screaming for a Hulk solo film since the first Avengers film; especially this plot line

On the other hand, some fans have been waiting a lifetime for the JL film... Guess it all depends which is going to end up being the better made film

If I had to bet, Ragnarok will earn more because Marvel has better reputation. It'll also depend on pre-release reviews and Wonder Woman's reception.

Back