Dave Murray

24 frets makes a pretty huge difference, not so much because of the two extra notes but the 21st and 22nd frets feel much more comfortable. It makes leads in that register much easier to play, especially fast John Petrucci type stuff.

A 24-fret neck sure feels different from a 22-fret one but musically speaking, the 22nd fret can be bent and there are not that many solos that require a full octave on the fretboard.
I know what you mean though, my previous guitar had 24 frets and although my current guitar sounds much better and offers more options, the stuff way up on the fretboard can feel extremely difficult to play compared to a longer neck.

Yea that's what I mean. Those extra two frets aren't necessary, but having them there makes it easier to play in that register. Plus it finishes off the octave, instead of missing two notes.

Those extra notes can come in handy though. Check the solo at the end of Octavarium by Dream Theater for A good example.

The first tour dates are February, and going by a few things Bruce has said fairly recently about his recovery and his voice, Maiden's pre-tour rehearsals could still be a few months away.

I just read something from Dave re British Lion, which I'm going to put in the Dave thread because it's more about him.

Edit: ignore that last bit, looks like the magazine was quoting Steve, not Dave.
@Brigantium , where did your post go?

I had the same question... Seriously, this Classic Rock interview is fantastic, the best stuff have read in ages about Maiden. A must read. Thanks a lot for mentionning it Brigantium.

@Brigantium , where did your post go?
I had the same question... Seriously, this Classic Rock interview is fantastic, the best stuff have read in ages about Maiden. A must read. Thanks a lot for mentionning it Brigantium.

Sorry, my bad. It was a quote from Steve talking about how he could play with British Lion after Maiden come to an end. It looked like it was Dave speaking, seeing it was on a page with a large picture of Dave, headed 'Dave Murray'. On closer inspection it was just continuation of Steve's interview.

Yes, the article is extremely good. I particularly liked the interviews with Steve and Nicko.

Dave playing a guitar solo on Psycho Motel's second record from 1997.
This is one of my faves songs from Psycho Motel band. I can tell that H and Dave had and still have great chemistry between each other. I like solo on this song, emotional

Not strictly my find, it's doing the rounds in a few Maiden FB groups, but good to see Dave out doing something.

I've always imagined that Dave is just chilling under a palm tree in complete solitude when not on tour ;)

Excellent Brigs! One of the few real on-topic posts out here. ;) And the best for sure. Unique moment, as hell.

If not mistaken, Dave mentioned the artist they covered (Robin Trowers) as inspiration for the The Man of Sorrows (the end).

Last edited:
Yea that's what I mean. Those extra two frets aren't necessary, but having them there makes it easier to play in that register. Plus it finishes off the octave, instead of missing two notes.

Those extra notes can come in handy though. Check the solo at the end of Octavarium by Dream Theater for A good example.

24 fret guitars move neck pickup position further to the bridge. Sound is different. In last few years I've started messing with more 70's like leads, esp. slow Pink Floyd type, and my last guitar purchase was consciously 22 fret. All other electric guitars I've owned in last 15 years were 24 frets.

24 fret guitars move neck pickup position further to the bridge. Sound is different. In last few years I've started messing with more 70's like leads, esp. slow Pink Floyd type, and my last guitar purchase was consciously 22 fret. All other electric guitars I've owned in last 15 years were 24 frets.

There are some videos where Joe Satriani explains how moving the neck pickup changes the tone. Because of that he went with mini humbucker as oposed to full humbucker on his JS2400's. The pickup is closer to the neck and has more similar tone to the full humbucker on the 22 fret neck guitar.

Back