Dance of Death DVD Audio

chaosapiant

Ancient Marinade
In looking to expand my Maiden collection, I'd like to know if the Dance of Death DVD Audio is "worth it" for purchase. New copies go for $100+ on Ebay, and I'm wondering how much work went into making this album sound good in 5.1 surround. I've got the original CD release, the Onkyo lossless remaster, the 2015 digital MP3 remaster, and the remastered album reissued on Vinyl. So far the Onkyo version sounds the best to my ears, though I haven't heard the vinyl version. I've touched the vinyl version a little bit, gave it some love and some eskimo kisses and smelled the wrapper while staring intently at my horrified girlfriend, but never listenend.

So how's the DVD audio?

I bought it 10+ years ago, when it was more reasonably priced. The 5.1 mix is more dynamic and has less distortion. Not that the "DR ratings" are perfect, but you can see the data here: http://dr.loudness-war.info/album/list?artist=iron+maiden&album=dance+of+death. I prefer listening to the 5.1-->2.0 stereo "downmix" in my car, etc., for that reason, but bear in mind that is a significant remix and therefore sounds quite different than what you are used to from the other versions. I don't think it is worth $100, and the 5.1 surround mix isn't really anything special. But if you can get a VG+ condition used copy for less money, then I would recommend it, particularly if it has collector value to you.

I bought it 10+ years ago, when it was more reasonably priced. The 5.1 mix is more dynamic and has less distortion. Not that the "DR ratings" are perfect, but you can see the data here: http://dr.loudness-war.info/album/list?artist=iron+maiden&album=dance+of+death. I prefer listening to the 5.1-->2.0 stereo "downmix" in my car, etc., for that reason, but bear in mind that is a significant remix and therefore sounds quite different than what you are used to from the other versions. I don't think it is worth $100, and the 5.1 surround mix isn't really anything special. But if you can get a VG+ condition used copy for less money, then I would recommend it, particularly if it has collector value to you.

Agreed!

Does anyone know if there is any drop in quality in playing this in a regular dvd player as opposed to a dedicated dvd-audio player?

Does anyone know if there is any drop in quality in playing this in a regular dvd player as opposed to a dedicated dvd-audio player?

I have never played it in a dedicated DVD-audio player, but to these ears it sounds in a regular DVD player miles better than the original CD.

a dedicated DVD-audio player
I didn't know those existed! It sounds just fine on my Oppo universal DVD/DVD-A/Blu-Ray/SACD player -- which, I was saddened to learn, has been discontinued. It is an awesome machine, but another victim of streaming.
:dead:
How would it sound in a DVD drive in a computer with a pair of surround sound headphones?
Well, it sure wouldn't be in 5.1!! To get the 5.1 mix you'd need a 5.1 home theater setup. You could also downmix it to 2.0, but that requires some tinkering and third-party software, I don't think standard OEM-installed applications will do that. Bear in mind that there is also a 2.0 (i.e., stereo) version on the DVD-A, but it sounds pretty close, if not identical, to the CD -- way too loud, with clipping and distortion, sounds like unwashed ass -- so you definitely should NOT plunk down hard-earned cash to get the DVD-A if you are only going to be able to listen to the stereo version anyway.

I play mine on a regular dvd player plugged into my hifi, but I read at the time DVD-Audio's came out they sold dedicated DVD-Audio players as well. I presume they must have been aimed at the audiophile market.

Back