Covers that are better than the originals... or just covers

I felt the same way for a long time @Onhell, but eventually got a Spotify subscription and regretted refusing to get it for such a long time. It's incredibly convenient. I continue to archive music and listen to my archived stuff, but Spotify has been great for listening to music while travelling and discovering new music.

I felt the same way for a long time @Onhell, but eventually got a Spotify subscription and regretted refusing to get it for such a long time. It's incredibly convenient. I continue to archive music and listen to my archived stuff, but Spotify has been great for listening to music while travelling and discovering new music.

I keep hearing this, I might break eventually. My current economy doesn't allow me to induldge in more subscriptions, so I'll cave in one day. My priority list right now is purchasing a car and then a home.... spotify can wait lol.

I keep hearing this, I might break eventually. My current economy doesn't allow me to induldge in more subscriptions, so I'll cave in one day. My priority list right now is purchasing a car and then a home.... spotify can wait lol.
But you can surely listen to music on Spotify for free? Interrupted by ads, yes, but still a good way to check things.

But you can surely listen to music on Spotify for free? Interrupted by ads, yes, but still a good way to check things.
From what I've heard, I'm most likely wrong, it's a bit like Pandora. I put in an artist or song I want to listen to and it is buried in a playlist of similar artists and even if you get the artist pretty soon you don't get the SONG you want until like 10 or so songs later AND, like you said, ads. Ads don't bother me too much on radio like they do on Youtube, but there's a reason I put an adblock on my browser.

Dunno, I've only used it on a few occasions, like playing V1's album before my CD arrived, or some baroque CDs that are difficult to find or out of print - it just plays the album I've chosen with occasional ads. Or rather the same ad again and again. Perhaps it would be different if used it more frequently, or didn't play specific albums, can't say.

From what I've heard, I'm most likely wrong, it's a bit like Pandora. I put in an artist or song I want to listen to and it is buried in a playlist of similar artists and even if you get the artist pretty soon you don't get the SONG you want until like 10 or so songs later AND, like you said, ads. Ads don't bother me too much on radio like they do on Youtube, but there's a reason I put an adblock on my browser.
Yes, that's pretty much what the free mobile version is like. However, the free computer version is a lot more usable. Ads are the only annoyance, at least that's what it was like when I used to have the free version.

In this case, it is difficult to say which of those two is better. On a great music by Diane Warren, a French set of lyrics were written, as well as English ones. Enjoy. :)

My band have just put out a cover of the track, I Think We're Alone Now, not sure it is better than the iconic version Tiffany did in the 80s, but I think it is better than the original version by Tommy James and the Shondells

Terrorvision doing Bring Your Daughter... To The Slaughter.

I would not say it is better than the Maiden version (cheesy lyrics aside, I quite like it), but it is pretty good.

If a cover stays too close to the original it can either be: a) worship for the band you're covering or b)gaining commercial success covering a hit song of the past. With a moustache like that, I'm not sure in which category good old Giorgio fits...

Last edited:
I love Postmodern Jukebox, their retro covers of pop hits are usually really good. This one recently popped up on my facebook feed and while I like the song (I'm not familiar with the original) and the featured singer is one of my Youtube crushes, I could not stop looking at the tamourine player lol. This guy is a scene stealer and show stopper. I was originally going to share it on the mental health thread, because I think we should all tackle life with the same unbridled enthusiasm, but at the end of the day it's just a cool cover:

Last edited:
Back