Coronavirus

I won't be eligible for a booster for awhile, we have not even announced them for people in my age group yet. However, we are now vaccinating 5-11 year olds, which should reduce the spread vector of coronavirus aggressively.

Speaking of aggressive, it seems that some demonstrations against the restrictions imposed by some European governments have ended in violence. :(

So for the first time, I did a test on the suspicion that I might have caught Covid. It was negative, but I really should find the time for the booster jab next week, which is difficult with all my appointments.
As usual, the Dutch are slow. 80 and older are getting it now. I think in Januari 60-79 and sometime afterwards the younger ones.

I have been boosted.

I was made eligible early on as someone who works with small (mostly unvaccinated) children, however many states including my own were already starting to push for all adults to get vaccinated. It seems like the CDC is also now on board with that policy. Very easy to get a shot, much easier process than when I got my first two doses (a weeks long nightmare vs easy booking online with plenty availability).

As far as side effects go, frankly I felt terrible the next day. Pretty much felt like a flu. But was fine the day after, as if nothing happened.

Overall it was a solid vaccination experience. 5.26/10 would recommend to all eligible people.

So apparently, what is now the Omicron variant should actually have been called the Nu variant, because it follows the Mu variant, but they skipped that letter because they realise people are stupid and would think it means "New variant". And the next letter in the Greek alphabet is Xi, and they skipped that in order to not offend Xi Jinping.

People are stupid, and Xi does have skin made of a single fragment of silk, so it makes sense.

There are various misfirings here. First, N is Ni, not Nu. Then Ξ is ksi not Xi. If you write it Xi it’s not wrong but you’ll have problem when the Greek X =chi arrives a few letters later.

Then you got Xi’s name which is pronounced Shee in Chinese not Xi. And not to forget that English Alphabet is the base of pinyin and all Chinese know to spell the English way. Thus no problem there. The real problem would be that 1.4 billion people or close to 20% of earth’s population would read that as Shee and maybe that’s the reason why WHO skipped it; the 1.4 billion, not the one man.

-----
This one begged for Limp Bizkit memes...too bad they renamed it.

Or if they had kept it Ni as they should, it would be too offensive towards the Knights who say Nee :D

So, it's still early into Omicron research, but a lot of news stories are suggesting that people in SA with it are overwhelmingly unvaccinated. SA is poorly vaccinated anyway, and mostly with Astra Zeneca, which was always anticipated to be less resistant to variants, so this is expected to an extent.

It takes Pfizer/Moderna 100 days to update their shots to provide effectiveness against a new variant of concern. Unless research suggests Omicron is either far deadlier or far more virulent than Delta, we are probably in the same place we were three days ago.

The version I heard was that Xi is a common surname (in China, at a guess) and they didn't want to go there.

I'm glad our government has shown caution for once about this. The other nations still had some mask wearing, only England had dropped practically every restriction out there, and case numbers have been rising for ages, even without another new variant turning up. As of Tuesday, masks are back on public transport and in shops. I can't find it now, but a recent study found mask wearing more effective as controlling the spread of covid than previously thought.

True, we don't know if this variant is more contagious and more or less harmful, but winter with very few restrictions isn't a good time to take chances. Too much history here of 'it's not dangerous until overwhelmingly proven'.

So, it's still early into Omicron research, but a lot of news stories are suggesting that people in SA with it are overwhelmingly unvaccinated. SA is poorly vaccinated anyway, and mostly with Astra Zeneca, which was always anticipated to be less resistant to variants, so this is expected to an extent.

It takes Pfizer/Moderna 100 days to update their shots to provide effectiveness against a new variant of concern. Unless research suggests Omicron is either far deadlier or far more virulent than Delta, we are probably in the same place we were three days ago.
Think the percentage of fully vaccinated in South Africa is only around 20%. From what the doctor who (Dr. Coetzee) who first spoke up about Omicron down there has said, the symptoms do appear to be mild. Different than normal COVID symptoms, but still mild.

We really don't know either way yet. There's a lot of quoting of one doctor in South Africa, mostly notably by the Telegraph (which thinks everyone who didn't get a good thrashing at private boarding school is a useless snowflake anyway) saying the one patient she'd seen with the variant had very mild symptoms. For that matter, all people I've spoken to recently who've had covid - presumably Delta variant which is dominant at the minute - have also had very mild symptoms, resembling a cold.

Back