Coronavirus

The vaccination priority is pretty much the same here, but they're still determined to end everything with a big bash on June 21

Well, my dad went to Walgreens without his mask on and they said despite restrictions being lifted, a mask was still mandatory in the store. So apparently, it's up to places of business and such whether or not they want to do what the CDC is allowing.

Well, my dad went to Walgreens without his mask on and they said despite restrictions being lifted, a mask was still mandatory in the store. So apparently, it's up to places of business and such whether or not they want to do what the CDC is allowing.
Yep. Sam’s Club went with the CDC guidance, but Walmart and Aldi haven’t changed policy yet. It was nice to shop without a mask at one place, at least…

I'm not really surprised. No business wants to be held liable if there's an outbreak associated with their store, and probably doesn't want staff going off sick either.

The vaccination priority is pretty much the same here, but they're still determined to end everything with a big bash on June 21

Third wave coming in 3, 2, 1...

For what is worth, the next academic year at work is going to look pretty much like this year: a combination of pre-recorded lectures and face-to-face socially distanced labs/tutorials.

Still beats me why they can't bring in localised lockdowns. Scotland has kept restrictions in Glasgow and I'm sure the legislative power exists in England too. If the Indian variant is totally out of control in a few areas, stepping up vaccination isn't going to provide protection for a few weeks and isn't going to provide the best possible protection until a few weeks after the second dose. Allowing (even if was already happening unofficially) households to mix indoors in those areas is going to cause mayhem. There are signs they're pushing the public sector back into offices which is really premature and those offices really aren't up to the job. Besides what's the point? If people work extremely well from home and there's no actual need, it's just a gesture and an attempt to get people to go back to blowing all their money on Starbucks and Maccy Ds.

Besides what's the point? If people work extremely well from home and there's no actual need, it's just a gesture and an attempt to get people to go back to blowing all their money on Starbucks and Maccy Ds.

The point is buying stuff you don't really need with the money you don't really have. That's an industry right there.

Also Starbucks should be set on fire, regardless of the pandemic.

The point is buying stuff you don't really need with the money you don't really have. That's an industry right there.

Also Starbucks should be set on fire, regardless of the pandemic.
I mean what's their official justification for forcing public sector staff back into offices. They won't come out and say it's example-setting because they want other employers to bring in trade for large tax dodging snack food and hospitality chains and reinstate the extortionate profits of commercial property portfolios. But they do keep making noise about how getting back behind desks in substandard offices is right and proper, and implying that staff at home are skivers.

But they do keep making noise about how getting back behind desks in substandard offices is right and proper, and implying that staff at home are skivers.

I don't know how it's at your end, but here if law enforced office standards, a lot of companies and agencies would use staff from home or a mixed approach. In other words, companies and agencies that ensure people spend half of their awake hours in comfortable environment, recognize this as an expense. Heating, cooling, chairs, desks, sanitary infrastructure, accessible fire escape routes. And then availability of specialized things, not only for accessibility for handicapped, but for your regular back pains and carpal tunnels and everything else chair career implies. Because a good employer, for his workspace, he tries to get close to the level of comfort of the average home, so his employees actually like being in the office. This costs money, and has an impact on environment. You use two different bathrooms, two different workstations, two kitchens, etc. , for 5 or 6 days a week. For your "needs" double (or worse) the energy output.

So enforcement of the office standards would make them lay off the rhetoric.

And we know who's yelling skivers all the time. The middle management that has no better things to do.

The failure of Conservative government in Ontario continues.

Ontario was on a phased rollout of vaccine eligibility by age. However, in order to secure political points he opened it up to everyone early. Now there's no vaccine appointments available for months, because everyone is booking them. Some people, in fact, are booking 2-3 to make sure they get in.

Ridiculous. Fucking ridiculous.

The failure of Conservative government in Ontario continues.

Ontario was on a phased rollout of vaccine eligibility by age. However, in order to secure political points he opened it up to everyone early. Now there's no vaccine appointments available for months, because everyone is booking them. Some people, in fact, are booking 2-3 to make sure they get in.

Ridiculous. Fucking ridiculous.

Young cunts at no risk talking appointments out of the hands of the elderly.

Well well well well. A miracle happened, I now have made a vaccine appointment. :) Things started moving very fast, my town apparently got larger vaccine amounts than expected, and my age group (early 40s) could now make an online reservation. Without my friend (from another town) who noticed it I hadn't known though, because it's only announced on the town website and no notifications are sent to inhabitants. But I got to be among the first ones to make the reservation and got a pretty decent slot for Friday next week. I'm allowed to go to the vaccination on company time, no need to take time off. If I get symptoms, it'll ruin Saturday and not any important work meeting. :lol: My dad got no symptoms and mom got mild ones, so if the reaction type is genetic, might be somewhere in between.

My dad got no symptoms and mom got mild ones, so if the reaction type is genetic, might be somewhere in between.

Younger people tend to suffer from more side effects than the older generation. Considering your age you might, or might not, get side effects (this is what I was told when I got my jab - I am in my mid 40s).

Back