Coronavirus

Sorry. a GP doctor is a general practitioner (I believe the Spanish equivalent is "médico de cabecera").

A GP surgery is a generic UK term for the location where a GP regularly sees patients.
Ohh I see. Thanks! I'm glad it's nothing serious. I was worried because I thought you would have an intervention and GP was some part of your body (Gallbladder or something like that). :facepalm: :lol:. Sorry and Congratulations for your first dose in May.

Ohh I see. Thanks! I'm glad it's nothing serious. I was worried because I thought you would have an intervention and GP was some part of your body (Gallbladder or something like that). :facepalm: :lol:. Sorry and Congratulations for your first dose in May.

Thanks. I agree the name (surgery) can lead to confusion!

You have just defined what being a teenager means most of the time! :lol:

Whilst a minority can be obnoxious, scapegoating the youth for the failures of our parents’ generation (and our failures) is not the way forward.
Nobody's implying that all teenagers are like that, because in a good many social circles absolutely none of them are like that. But there is a bit a phenomenon of aggressive packs throwing their weight around, and I can't agree with ignoring it, or whitewashing it with a defence of teenagers in general. More widespread acknowledgement that it's not big or clever for anyone of any age, and not just a case of 'boys will be boys' or 'what working class people do' could go a long way.

Thinking you're cooler than everyone else is one thing, harassing, throwing things at and punching people to demonstrate your superiority over people you consider worthless is a bit different. And that's been escalating over the past year here, really, in bigger numbers. It's not always about being disadvantaged, coming from a messed up family, or a reflection of wider society either. It's insular groups forming, developing their own mob mentality, and egging each other on flexing their muscles. It's probably been fuelled as much as anything by the reaction to there being restrictions on society, and a feeling of invincibility among people who aren't at risk of Covid.

I'm really, really glad I don't have kids, because I'd want to them to kinder people than that, but it would make them a target. and they'd be under pressure to fit in.

It's insular groups forming, developing their own mob mentality, and egging each other on flexing their muscles.
Sadly, this appears to be the direction the western world is currently headed in for most aspects of society. Kids doing it via social media and IRL bullying, adults doing it through politics, religion, and social media bomb throwing. Shared hatred apparently gives a lot of people purpose in life.

Merkel announced they're considering ending prioritisation in June, meaning anyone will become eligible then. I'm not holding my breath and I will only believe that I'm being vaccinated when the needle is pulled out of my arm.

EDIT: In case anyone's wondering why I'm so dramatic, my uncle was already in the vaccination centre and in line for his jab when news broke that AstraZeneca was being pulled and he was sent home. So yeah, the government hasn't done very much to earn my trust in this regard.

Sadly, this appears to be the direction the western world is currently headed in for most aspects of society. Kids doing it via social media and IRL bullying, adults doing it through politics, religion, and social media bomb throwing. Shared hatred apparently gives a lot of people purpose in life.

Well, the idea that we will live in peace and harmony and perfection and gentleness and friendliness and love and liberal democracy for any larger amount of time at any time in this here life... is a lie. Always has been.

It's just not possible. Metaphysically and theologically, philosophically, politically, psychologically. Man is a fallen breed.

It's always been ups and downs, rises and downfalls. I'd say that accepting that eases the mind. Alleviates the frustration.

In other news, the numbers of newly infected have dropped down considerably. Therefore people are starting to ignore safety rules again. Then again, the government does its best to be as chaotic, unhelpful and downright bizarre as possible. Hooray.
God only knows when people our age are going to be able to get the vaccine.

Last edited:
So my Mandarin powers are yet to unlock, but I have had muscle soreness, dry nose, headache, exhaustion and a slight fever. Basically I feel like I got hit by a truck and then trampled by Macy's Thanksgiving parade followed by all the Black Friday shoppers.

Not to mention that since I was very thirsty I didn't sleep a whole lot with all the bathroom trips in the middle of the night. I still have a slight headache and soreness, but overall a lot better.

Sorry to hear it, @Onhell. I had a headache, fatigue, and lightheadedness the day after I got the J&J vaccine, but it cleared up the following day.

Unfortunately, I have also noticed significant tinnitus which I’ve traced back to slightly after the time of my vaccination, and it hasn’t subsided. I haven’t noticed any actual loss of hearing, and it’s not distorting the music I listen to or anything, like post-concert tinnitus would — but when things are otherwise silent it’s a pretty loud constant ringing/whooshing that wasn’t there before, or at least wasn’t anywhere near this noticeable.

I looked up the J&J filing with the FDA and there were a few cases of tinnitus reported with the vaccine, and all but one case cleared up after a few weeks, so hopefully that will still happen for me as well. But honestly, as long as my hearing itself and my ability to enjoy music are unaffected, the ringing ears are an acceptable tradeoff for me.

Back