Coronavirus

I'd rather see the governments approve more pay for emergency physicians or ramp up production of nasal swabs.

We can clap after this is fucking over.

The logic you're applying right now is precisely the same as one applied when, for example, someone belittles the importance of a temporary power outage in a city because there are children in Africa dying of hunger. Yes, children dying in Africa is a more significant problem. Doesn't mean a temporary power outage is something to be dismissed. I think it's called relative privation.

No, the logic I am applying right now is outlined further down in a more detailed response. It is not about being unable to do one while another is happening, it is about government wasting critical instruction time to dilute a message.

The clapping itself is not what upsets me. What upsets me is that government has a limited window to convey information on a daily basis to the average person. If the politicians get up there and ramble on for an hour and a half, it becomes hard to sift through the crap and find the important stuff. They should be giving us updates on where we are and where we need to go. If someone watches a press briefing and takes away that "we need to clap" as the primary takeaway, that's not particularly good when what we need to do is encourage people to ramp up production of necessary medical goods, innovate solutions, donate their stashes of PPE to local hospitals, and stay home.

I think you are over blowing this .. watched the news this morning and saw a long segment on people/companies donating masks, etc in pretty massive numbers ... 3D printers cranking out face shields, Ford/GE doing respirators, Teslsa donated 1K respirators and working on more. California had a slew of masks from the wild fires, those being donated. A major fabric store is donating the materials for people to pick up, make them at home, bring them back to donate ... and on and on.

Personally, I am not a fan of symbolic gestures, but they make some people feel better and given isolation being a main part of this whole deal, doing something physically together (yet a bit apart) might help some people cope with isolation.

No, the logic I am applying right now is outlined further down in a more detailed response. It is not about being unable to do one while another is happening, it is about government wasting critical instruction time to dilute a message.

Ehhhh. Wasting critical instruction time? Telling people "it'd be cool to show apprecation to health workers by clapping at 8 PM" is "wasting critical instruction time?" Seriously? Talk about clutching at straws.

It's just a gesture to show our support to the health workers who are extremely overwhelmed at these moments trying to save our lives.
Also it's a gesture for other kind of workers, police, pharmacists, supermarket employees, cleaning staff, truckers who bring us the food… All that people are under pressure and working hard these days, and especially as a gesture of respect for the victims
At the same time is a motivating and positive gesture for ourselves and our neighbours at their windows clapping. We all want that this shit stops and people stops dying and back to normal life soon.

A bunch of people on my street were doing it with someone across the road from me being the cheerleader and encouraging people to take part. It was the sounds of LooseCannon, Perun and GhostOfCain dying inside. Then Planet Rock played 'Heroes' by David Bowie.

I don't think it cured anyone though.

Well then we'd all better bloody join in then! These will be the people who will be blamed after this passes over.

941.jpg

Last edited:
I returned to work today. My sickness cleared up around Monday or so but I was forced to stay out. I thought I was going to return yesterday but the doctor's didn't clear. I was just told they shut New Hampshire down. Luckily, my work isn't closing. We've been deemed a critical facility.

We've been doing the clapping thing since the first day of the quarantine. I mean, Serbs, I personally never did it because I cba going outside on the balcony when it's cold.

The US has now surpassed China and Italy to become the country with the highest number of confirmed coronavirus cases. Congratulations USA! America First!
We’re going to win. We’re going to win so much. We’re going to win at Chinese Virus, we’re going to win at dying. We’re going to win so much, you’re going to be so sick and tired of winning, you’re going to come to me and go ‘Please, please, we can’t win anymore.’ You’ve heard this one. You’ll say ‘Please, Mr. President, we beg you sir, we don’t want to win anymore. It’s too much. It’s not fair to everybody else.’ And I’m going to say ‘I’m sorry, but we’re going to keep winning, winning, winning, We’re going to make America great again.'

Back