Contest: Mom's Maiden Mixtape (nice prize included)

I can come up with something if that's really your thing Cornfed. But you will have to provide proof you actually made it and ate it. What's in it for us otherwise? Okay this thread is starting to turn sick. This might have been my fault.

By the way, I no longer take the blame for hijacking this thread. This has gotten absurd. Awaiting results from pilau to bring this thread back to its origin. Of course, if the prize is a recipe for tzatziki sauce with a 'special' ingredient, pilau will instantly become the MVP of this forum.

I think this is one of the three most epic cases of threadjacking I've witnessed on this board. The other two cases were a thread about a proposed Iron Maiden video game that ended up with us talking about boobs on video game covers after we had a three-page discussion on anti-semitism. The other one was, I think, something Foro posted about whales, which had us talking about Star Trek in the end.

Hell, it's not an easy task to evaluate 14 80-minutes long playlists when you're up to your neck with work!

I was wondering what the hell "tzatziki" was, then I checked it up on Wiki and it's the common "cacık" as we call it in Turkey. Surprised since it really is a Turkish food rather than a Greek one.

You guys should come to Turkey if you want to have a proper kebab, just saying. :D Even the regional preperations differ here (and so does the taste), don't know what you guys eat as kebab.

Friday Friday gotta get down on Friday!

Not a better day to announce our finalists than on Friday! And on Friday night! Right? Right? You know! (Avoiding getting bashed for being on delay like a boss! Step your game up, haters)

14 playlists later I have to say I was quite surprised, first of all with how many people entered the contest which is amazing, big thanks everyone!

Secondly, I was a big deal more surprised with some people's choices for mellow songs. I mean, come on, Rhyme of the Ancient Mariner? It has one of Maiden's most aggressive middle-sections. Sorry to break it to you, but Coming Home is a very heavy track — especially for a 50 year old woman who never rendezvoused with Heavy Metal before, yet I've seen it on perhaps 4 or 5 playlists.

Two very interesting statistics: the two songs featured most (and almost on all playlists!) are Afraid to Shoot Strangers and Still Life coming in second. This is where I understood I should have been a little more specific with a requirement I thought was obvious: The songs are supposed to be most accessible. I thought it was pretty obvious but I take the mistake on me. Still, these two songs are not accessible however you look at it, and just for the sake of reviewing, neither is Holy Smoke, nor are To Tame a Land, The Man Who Could Be King, or Children of the Damned Dad (;)) for that matter.

Some other choices which didn't help those who made them, are those like including Hallowed Be Thy Name because it's a must on every Maiden song list (if you can't figure out why read the last paragraph), relying mostly on 80s classics — which are much more aggressive than many other songs. Also didn't help some contestants was relying mostly on long and quiet songs. It's just not fun for the ear.

So, that was a run down of the contest so far, now for the finalists!

The playlists were obviously evaluated by song choices, but as well by structure, energy and song positioning.

I won't keep you waiting long because I know you're grinding your teeth (stop it) with anticipation! But I have a surprise for you all, because have 4 finalists tonight! That's right! 4 lucky members of our forum, only one of which will get my mom's recipe.

So without further ado, here they are:

Smalahove!
Forostar!
Mckindog!
and....
Bearfan!

Congratulations to our finalists, a big thanks for all those who took part, and by next week, hopefully we'll have a winner! :)
Stay tuned...

These lists will battle each other.
Songs in red are on more than one list.
Song in blue is on all lists.
Songs in green are unique picks.

Smalahove
1. Final Frontier (without the long intro)
2. Wasted Years
3. Can I Play With Madness
4. Stranger In A Strange Land
5. Sun And Steel
6. Hooks In You
7. Holy Smoke
8. Journeyman
9. Wildest Dreams
10. Flight Of Icarus
11. Revelations
12. From Here To Eternity
13. The Evil That Men Do
14. Run To The Hills
15. Hallowed By Thy Name

Forostar
01 Brave New World 6:18
02 Wasted Years 5:06
03 Afraid to Shoot Strangers 6:56
04 Running Free 3:17
05 Infinite Dreams 6:09
06 Reach Out 3:31
07 The Educated Fool 6:44
08 Rainmaker 3:48
09 Strange World 5:45
10 Deja-Vu 4:56
11 Quest for Fire 3:41
12 Doctor Doctor 4:50
13 Prodigal Son 6:11
14 Judas be My Guide 3:08
15 That Girl 5:04

mckindog
Wasted Years
From Here to Eternity
Flight of Icarus
The Educated Fool
That Girl
Reach Out
Weekend Warrior
Angel and the Gambler
Blood Brothers
When the Wild Wind Blows
Running Free (extended LAD version if it fits, LAD radio edit if it doesn't)
Journeyman
Fear of the Dark
Como Estais Amigos

bearfan
Women In Uniform (4:21)
Run To The Hills (3;50)
Stranger in a Strange Land (5:45)
From Here to Eternity (3:37)
Wasting Love (5:50)
Journeyman (7:07)
Revelations (6:50)
Sun and Steel (3:26)