Contest: Mom's Maiden Mixtape (nice prize included)

1. The Prophecy
2.Brave New World
3. Blood Brothers
4.Children Of The Damned
5. Revelations
6. Afraid to Shoot Strangers
7. No Prayer For The Dying
8. Coming Home
9. Journeyman
10. Wasted Years
11. Dance Of Death
12. When The Wild Wind Blows (En Vivo version)

Total running time: 78:41

I had a roommate in college who only went after girls who had boyfriends. His logic: if a girl doesn't have a boyfriend, then there is probably something wrong with her and she isn't worth getting together with. I'm not endorsing that logic exactly, but it's a pretty liberating notion if you previously considered your dating pool to consist only of the unattached.

EDIT: Curse you Ben Beast!!! How DARE you bring this thread back to its original topic!

What a discussion! :)

I am perilously preoccupied with work this weekend (yes, perilously). So, the three finalists will be announced beginning next week. Meanwhile, contest still open!

UPDATE
Contest will be closed on Sunday, 23:58 UTC - still plenty of time to post your list by tomorrow night! The 3 finalists will be announced on Tuesday - so stay tuned!

1. Wasted Years
2. Infinite Dreams
3. Still Life
4. Afraid To Shoot Strangers
5. The Prisoner
6. The Clairvoyant
7. Remember Tomorrow
8. That Girl
9. Children Of The Damned
10. Lord Of The Flies
11. Sea Of Madness
12. Out Of The Silent Planet
13. Rime Of The Ancient Mariner

Time: 79:35

I guess the pacing could be better (you can change the order if you want to), but I think the song selections are good. The songs give a good image of what the band is like (better than making a list full of non-representative songs) and the less accessible songs come at the end. The list mostly focuses on the classic era but with also a few songs from others.

I had a roommate in college who only went after girls who had boyfriends. His logic: if a girl doesn't have a boyfriend, then there is probably something wrong with her and she isn't worth getting together with. I'm not endorsing that logic exactly, but it's a pretty liberating notion if you previously considered your dating pool to consist only of the unattached.

So I guess your room mate did have actual girlfriend(s). Very convenient; if one of the chased girls didn't want to fully quit her boyfriend but still going out with your friend, at least they were understanding each other by playing hide and seek with their actual relationships and with each other.

I'm not completely ironic, I've done worse.. But being single after 13 years, I'm more selective than before, more careful, more serious. And I know that there's nothing wrong with that. Same with a girl who is alone. I want that girl.

Hmm,my first thought was " not exactly the most trustworthy of roommates."

Thank you everyone who entered the contest!

The contest is now closed for new entries. All song lists will be reviewed and the 3 best song lists will compete for a delicious recipe!

Subscribe to the thread and get notified when the finalists are announced!

Good luck ;)

Hmm,my first thought was " not exactly the most trustworthy of roommates."
Nah, he didn't screw over his buddies. But, if the girl was dating a guy he disliked, that was definitely an added bonus for him. He was an interesting guy: head of one of the two big African-American fraternities on campus -- had an Omega brand on both arms; I only saw him consume alcohol once, with hilarious consequences; most creatively filthy imagination of anyone I've ever met; started an gay phone-sex line business (he was straight) where he recorded himself saying crazy stuff and people would pay to call in and hear it, he didn't make too much money on it but more than you'd think; now a Black Muslim who lives in Saudi Arabia and strictly follows the customs, including no longer using toilet paper. When I was told by our mutual friend (and former fellow suite-mate) -- who was shocked and amazed -- that he'd converted to Islam, I calmly said, "Hm. Yeah, I can see that."

I won't pretend to understand it, but I'm told that strictly observant Muslims have some pretty regimented toilet protocols. For example, they use stones, not paper, must wipe a certain direction, must use one hand but not the other, and must cleanse with water. Something like that. Maybe different sects within the faith have different rules. I'm no expert, maybe one of our Islam experts will tell me I'm all wrong, but all I remember is hearing that he no longer uses toilet paper.

For example, they use stones, not paper, must wipe a certain direction, must use one hand but not the other, and must cleanse with water.

I confirm. They use the left hand because with right hand they eat. Thus is highly not appreciable to eat with the left (wiping) hand.
But I'm not sure about the stone thing, I always thought it's a direct touch, but I might be wrong..

:smartarse:

I realize that the contest is over ...

but here is a "setlist" that would probably work best
at successfully indoctrinating a woman in her 50s

(assuming there is a legitimate chance for success) ...

:applause:

The Trooper
The Prisoner
Flight of Icarus
Run to the Hills
2 Minutes to Midnight
Can I Play With Madness
Rime of the Ancient Mariner *
Wasted Years
The Clairvoyant *

* denotes potential risky selection

:edmetal:

GOOD LUCK !!
(especially if you're considering some of those earlier lists)

:p

I won't pretend to understand it, but I'm told that strictly observant Muslims have some pretty regimented toilet protocols. For example, they use stones, not paper, must wipe a certain direction, must use one hand but not the other, and must cleanse with water. Something like that. Maybe different sects within the faith have different rules. I'm no expert, maybe one of our Islam experts will tell me I'm all wrong, but all I remember is hearing that he no longer uses toilet paper.

I've never heard of using a stone, although I know that many Muslims consider left hand to be the wiping hand and the right the eating hand therefore not feeling good about people who use their left hand as the eating hand. (like myself) I'm not an Islam expert, I'm not a Muslim anyway but living in a Muslim majority country would give me a couple of ideas, I guess.

Yes, this may sound strange, outlandish, absurd and completely over-the-top, but the consequence of some interpretations of Islam is that you should not use toilet paper. The reason is that there is apparently a hadith (which I have yet to read) in which Muhammad recommends how to wipe your behind. This may sound obscene, but in an Islamic context, it makes a lot of sense, because one of the most important duties of a Muslim is to remain ritually clean (wudu'). In Islam, the doctrine is 'better safe than sorry', so there are guidelines for wudu' based on virtually all of life's situations, and much of it has to do with toilet situations (there are even more and extremely explicit regulations on sex). Now, the rules of Islam were written long before such a thing as toilet paper was invented, and Muhammad recommended using stones to wipe your behind to get the greatest degree of cleanliness after excretion. Most Muslims nowadays use toilet paper under the rationale (if they even think about it), that Muhammad would have recommended toilet paper, had it existed in his time. But some fundamentalist interpretations of Islam support only a direct and literal following of the Qur'an and the hadiths, meaning that if God or the Prophet didn't explicitly say it, it's not allowed. By that consequence, toilet paper is haram (ritually banned), and you must use stones because the Prophet said so. Of course, and I cannot stress this enough, only followers of certain fundamentalist movements will even think about checking what the Prophet has to say about your bowel movements and how to deal with them.

I wouldn't shake any hand of a fundamentalist Muslim, but yes, pretty much that.

I don't go out of my way to shake hands with fundamentalist anyone's ... but have in the past out of general politeness if it was offered.

Yeah, I know what you mean. Being polite to fundie wackos is one of those things in life you hate to do, but have to do.

Back