Congrats to Maiden for winning a Grammy!

Travis The Dragon

AFTERGLOW!!!
IRON MAIDEN was honored with a Grammy in the "Best Metal Performance" category in the pre-telecast ceremony at the 53rd annual Grammy Awards, which are being held tonight (Sunday, February 13) at the Staples Center in Los Angeles. IRON MAIDEN was nominated for the track "El Dorado", from the band's 2010 album "The Final Frontier".

The nominees in this year's "Metal" category were as follows:

* IRON MAIDEN - "El Dorado" (from "The Final Frontier")
* KORN - "Let The Guilt Go" (from "Korn III: Remember Who You Are")
* LAMB OF GOD - "In Your Words" (from "Wrath")
* MEGADETH - "Sudden Death" (from "Guitar Hero: Warriors Of Rock")
* SLAYER - "World Painted Blood" (from "World Painted Blood")
Source: http://www.roadrunnerrecords.com/blabbe ... mID=153882

I know many think the Grammies are a joke, but I think it's pretty sweet myself! MAJOR congrats Maiden! :yey:

The Grammies are a joke, regardless of whether or not they have given our band an award.

Mainstream recognition at this point? I bet someone will tell Steve when he wakes up, and do you know what he's gonna say?

"Who gives a shit!"

Very cool, they have been putting out the best music of anyone for decades, nice to see them win an award.

True it means little.  Fan support over the years, as Bruce indicates every time he's here, is what counts.  :ok:

By the way, I think 'El Dorado' is the weakest song on the album.  But still a good song.

Can you imagine Maiden winning an award for 'Starblind' or 'WtWWB'?

have the grammies come on TV yet? Doesn't one of them have to accept the award now. I have no clue how these things work.

Not sure, but when they are, they're edited and only show certain awards so it's hard to say if Maiden's will even be shown.. Also, if a band can't be there to accept an award, someone else will do it for them

As most have said who cares. Recognition from people who haven't a clue about music. This was announced in a pre-telecast ceremony. No ones there and no one "goes up" to get an award.

I just think it would be funny to see Bruce except the grammy and call the whole committee wankers.

LooseCannon said:
The Grammies are a joke
This.

And it's not really about it being mainstream recognition. It's simply because the people that run the Grammys and decide who's nominated/who wins haven't got a clue about 99% of other music that's out there.

It's like saying "This artist/song/album is the best out of 1% of music (that so happens to dominate MTV and the airwaves, which is why we can afford to have this circle-jerking/self-congratulatory/promotional ceremony)"

Nigel Tufnel said:
I like how the Band does'nt even acknowledge it on their website

I'm sure Rod is well aware of it. Maiden does go a little over the top on self-promotion, always bragging about their chart positions, etc. They see it as validation. But what does it say that when a group such as the Grammy nominators and voters (who many believe know nothing about music) laud Maiden as winners?

Now I'm off to go listen to some Jethro Tull.

Habberdasher said:
I'm sure Rod is well aware of it. Maiden does go a little over the top on self-promotion, always bragging about their chart positions, etc.
I don't think that is over the top. Getting Number one in most territories is a big accomplishment especially in this day and age and is something to be proud of. Putting their positions on the official website is fine and all bands do that.

I guess it is pretty nifty, but then again, this is the same award that was given to Jethro Tull in its debut year, so it can't really mean all that much in the long run. 

What's more impressive is that IM continues to sell albums and sell out major venues when they go out on tour, without having to form a package tour or becoming a total nostalgia act.  If I were a musician, I'd take that over a Grammy any day.   

Yeah, the Grammies suck, but if this gets Maiden a little more recognition in today's music world, then I'm not complaining.

It probably means nothing.

Even for El Dorado, there was no real contest in there.(apart from Sudden Death  :ninja: )

LooseCannon said:
The Grammies are a joke, regardless of whether or not they have given our band an award.

Mainstream recognition at this point? I bet someone will tell Steve when he wakes up, and do you know what he's gonna say?

"Who gives a shit!"

^ +1  :edmetal:

Back