Coming Home

How good is Coming Home on a scale of 1-10?

• Total voters
Daily Song: Coming Home

Welcome to the Daily Vote Thread! Rules are here.

Remember, only a decent review will count towards the contest.

Today's song: Coming Home

Yesterday's song remains open for voting! You can find it here.
The power ballad to end all power ballads? A fantastic song, a vehicle for Bruce to show that at his age he is still the master singer of all metal. The first time I heard this it brought tears to my eyes; you could simply hear the raw emotion within. It is still just as powerful. 10/10.

Re: Daily Song: Coming Home

Now this is where I find the album picks up. It is a ballad, but a very good one at that. There is bucketloads of raw emotion present in the song, the lyrics and vocals are excellent, and the music behind is very good as well. This song does reminds me of some of Bruce's solo ballads (for some unknown reason), but is still an excellent song. 9/10.

Unknown One said:
This song does reminds me of some of Bruce's solo ballads (for some unknown reason), but is still an excellent song. 9/10.

I concur with you. However, 'Coming Home' cannot touch his solo ballads whatsoever. Somehow, contrary to them, this one leaves me rather cold. I don't like the intro/outro and the verses are pretty run of the mill as well. The best thing about it is the chorus, yet that's not enough to rate the song higher than 7/10.

7/10. This song is OK. They have done better power ballads and I don't see much to scream home about this one.

Vap said:
It's decent. 8
Just wondering: You don't think that an eight is a bit too high for a song you consider merely decent?

I think there's been an inflation of the worth of the rankings here at Maidenfans lately.  :ninja:

This is a very good song. 7.

I loved it ever since I heard the samples. A masterpiece - 10/10!

9. It's not really ten, and i don't dig the repetition of intro riff prior to solos. On the other hand, everything else is perfect.

I find the chorus a bit too "hallelujah", but I really like all the other parts. Adrian's solo is sublime.

Reminds me a lot of Bruce's solo stuff. Foro's description of the chorus is a good, but it's alright to be a little over the top in a power ballad, and it's the first song on the album I feel like singing along to. It's also the first song on the album that approaches real greatness, and for that, it gets an 8.

8 - it's a solid song, breaks up the album nicely, has nothing too special about it unlike every other song on TFF. I actually give it a 7.8, but I think it's a bit better than Mother of Mercy and I rounded that up to an 8 as well, so this gets the same treatment.
BTW, this song is much better live than on the album. On the album it gets lost amongst the other gems, but live it stands on its own.

Many of you are referring to this one as a power ballad, and I suppose in the strictest definition it is, with the slower tempo and emotional lyrics. I just can't hear the term power ballad without thinking of some saccharine dripping "Baby I love you so much, I need you to come back" piece of dreck from an eighties hair band like Warrant or Poison. For me, Coming Home is light years beyond anything like that. Bruce's vocal and his lyrics are the real show here, although every single thing about this song clicks for me. 10/10.
For the record, not every "power ballad" makes me want to saw my ears off with a butter knife. Love to Love by UFO is an all time favourite, as is Led Zeppelin's Thank You.

I quite enjoy this one. Dare I say it's possibly one of my favourite tunes on The Final Frontier. Though I don't find it quite as moving as Out Of The Shadows (which to me is a similar song in its structure,) it still has that certain quality about it... something that makes you close your eyes and visualize getting away from the shitty reality of current life and soaring to a better place/time. Van Halen's Dreams is another song with such a characteristic for me.

Couldn't decide between 8 or 9... Eeney meeney miney moe says 8/10.

I can't help but compare this one to Out of the Shadows, and to be honest, it can't win. Coming Home is a great and moving song, and I like it very much. It is certainly honest and emotional, but it somehow lacks the ingenuity of Out of the Shadows. Also, that song dealt with one of the most elemental things in life, birth. This one is about an aeroplane, more or less. Still, I don't want to make this song bad. I had been expecting Bruce to write a song like this for ages, and the lyrics are poetic and beautiful, the music does a lot of talking by itself... and if Out of the Shadows was five and a half minutes of admiring Dave at his very best, this is the same for Adrian. One of his best moments, perhaps. 9/10.

To Albion's land...

...Bruce is incredible during the pre-chorus and chorus while Davey's sublime blues improv and Adrian's note-perfect solo are totally "classic Maiden" sounding and comparable to their immortal solos on Powerslave.

Back