Votes: 0 0.0%
  • ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

• ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Only North Americans are going for Europeans: Queen
Only Europeans (plus one or two North Americans) are going for a North American: Chuck Berry

Last edited:
Classic Rock Mega-Knockout: 256 to 128, Round 2 of 32

These songs battle for the #31 position...

B31.png

"Black Dog" (Led Zeppelin) [31] vs. "Jeremy" (Pearl Jam) [226]
"Black Dog", live in 1973:

"Jeremy", live in 1992:

"Come As You Are" (Nirvana) [98] vs. "Refugee" (Tom Petty) [159]
"Come As You Are", live in 1992:

"Refugee", live in 1980:

"Revolution" (The Beatles) [34] vs. "Gold Dust Woman" (Fleetwood Mac) [290]
"Revolution", live in 1968:

"Gold Dust Woman", live in 1977:

"Creep" (Radiohead) [95] vs. "Cocaine" (Eric Clapton) [162]
"Creep", live in 1994:

"Cocaine", live c. 1980:

One day left for Round 63
Also open: Round 64 , Round 1

My votes:

Can't go against my beloved grunge. Jeremy
No way I'm voting for grunge. Refugee
Fleetwood Mac has the more interesting song here. Gold Dust Woman
She don't lie, she don't lie, she don't lie... Cocaine

"Jeremy" is a good song, but "Black Dog" kicks complete ass. Plus, it holds up better -- it's timeless. This should be a no-brainer.
"Refugee" is great, and "Come As You Are" is not one of my favorite Nirvana tunes.
I thought the live version of the Mac song dragged a bit. No matter. "Revolution" should win anyway -- it also kicks complete ass. Guitar distortion used to great effect.
"Cocaine" is a nice little bluesy song, but it's overrated. Even many Radiohead fans dislike "Creep," but it still gets my vote here.

Last edited:
Never liked "Black Dog" all that much, so "Jeremy".
Seattle abides.
Well, you know...
I still hate "Creep", and much prefer "Cocaine".

Classic Rock Mega-Knockout: 256 to 128, Round 6 of 32

These songs battle for the #27 position...

B27.png

"Kashmir" (Led Zeppelin) [27] vs. "Run Like Hell" (Pink Floyd) [283]
"Kashmir", live in 1975:

"Run Like Hell", live in 1980:

"Old Man" (Neil Young) [411] vs. "It's Only Rock And Roll (But I Like It)" (The Rolling Stones) [155]
"Old Man", live in 1971:

"It's Only Rock And Roll (But I Like It)", live in 1975:

"We Will Rock You / We Are The Champions" (Queen) [38] vs. "Have You Ever Seen The Rain" (Creedence Clearwater Revival) [294]
"We Will Rock You / We Are The Champions", live in 19?? (Queen fans help please)

"Have You Ever Seen The Rain", John Fogerty live in 2005:
(No vintage vid available.)

"Like A Rolling Stone" (Bob Dylan) [91] vs. "Don't Fear The Reaper" (Blue Oyster Cult) [166]
"Like A Rolling Stone", live in 1991:
Song starts at 7:18 (6:30 is Dave introducing Bob)

"Don't Fear The Reaper", live in 1981:

One day left for Round 3
Also open: Round 4 , Round 5

My votes:

Never liked this Floyd song so much. I happily vote Kashmir.
I do like Old Man a bit better now than last round, but still voting Stones. It's Only Rock And Roll
Queen blows away CCR here. We Will Rock You
Brutal match in the last pair. Like A Rolling Stone

I have a funny story about the "Like A Rolling Stone" video I posted above. It's from Dave Letterman's 10th Anniversary Show (10 years on NBC after Carson, before the move to CBS). I was watching live with all my friends when it aired, but I was also tripping balls on LSD. It was around the end of the first verse that I realized I couldn't understand a single lyric Bob was singing; I figured it was the acid. Then (thank H) someone else spoke up: "Is he even speaking English?" Turns out, it wasn't the acid. Bob mumbles his way through the whole song. One of the most insanely garbled performances ever, even by Dylan standards.

I have a funny story about the "Like A Rolling Stone" video I posted above. It's from Dave Letterman's 10th Anniversary Show (10 years on NBC after Carson, before the move to CBS). I was watching live with all my friends when it aired, but I was also tripping balls on LSD. It was around the end of the first verse that I realized I couldn't understand a single lyric Bob was singing; I figured it was the acid. Then (thank H) someone else spoke up: "Is he even speaking English?" Turns out, it wasn't the acid. Bob mumbles his way through the whole song. One of the most insanely garbled performances ever, even by Dylan standards.

Ha! I've often thought Dylan should just hire someone else to sing his songs for him. (Maybe the Primordial guy. :innocent:) The band in this clip sounds incredible, Bob included (assuming that's his guitar prominent in the mix), but his vocals are so bad it makes me think it's a goof.

Ha! I've often thought Dylan should just hire someone else to sing his songs for him. (Maybe the Primordial guy. :innocent:) The band in this clip sounds incredible, Bob included (assuming that's his guitar prominent in the mix), but his vocals are so bad it makes me think it's a goof.

I think Bob was goofing us.

The most prominent guitar is the one being played by the long-haired guy in black behind Bob. I don't know who that is, but I think there's musician intros in the first part of that vid if you want to find out.

The other two guitarists (not counting Bob) are Sid McGinnis from Paul Shaffer's band, and Chrissie Hynde in blue in the middle. I can hear McGinnis, not sure about Hynde, and I can't pick Bob's guitar out of that mix at all. I see what he's playing, but I don't hear it.

It's very possible Bob's guitar isn't in the mix. There's already at least 2 guitars, 3 if Chrissie is also live. 4 gets to sounding cacophonous.

Back