• ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

• ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
I don't think famous drum fills are technical, generally speaking. They get famous because the average dude can drum along on the steering wheel. Even if it's just basically rolling fast on the snare drum... Wipeout, Don't You Forget About Me...

I didn't even recognize the drum fill without listening despite having heard the track countless times. :D
This. I probably listen to In Bloom more than the Phil Collins song and that fill never really stood out to me. If you want an iconic Nirvana drum performance, it's the beginning of Smells Like Teen Spirit.

In the Air Tonight is the only pop song I can think of where the drum fill is discussed more than the actual hook (or anything else for that matter). It's that iconic. And when Phil Collins plays the song live, he'll jump on the drum kit just for that one fill.

Well to me and my upbringing and with the people I knew who played the drums...the In Bloom track was one of the stand outs, exactly because of the way Grohl used the drums. Again I'm just saying..there is a difference between how non drummers and how drummers look at these tracks...Very apparent in this discussion :) That non drummers doesn't see how the In Bloom drum track is vital for that song doesn't surprise me....:D Also that the big and bombastic collins drums are better is also very typical...the bigger the better ...just not if you are an actual drummer :p

Last edited:
Not sure if it's a drummer vs non drummer thing. Foro and SMX are drummers and seem to feel the same way about In The Air Tonight as Flash and me.

And what is that exactly? I already said I also feel it's an OK fill at the exact right moment in a song. But that it's in no way unique, looking at it from a drumming perspective. I think we already came to this conclusion? Super simple fill...at the right time.

Last edited:
If you want an iconic Nirvana drum performance, it's the beginning of Smells Like Teen Spirit.

Right...and then if you ask me as a drummer...I'll say "Smells...." is in no way one of Grohls best drum performances..it's iconic yes...but it's not the best drumming..I'd say....Aneurysm, Scentless, All Apologies, amongst others...

But that it's in no way unique, looking at it from a drumming perspective. I think we already came to this conclusion? Super simple fill...at the right time.
Simple or not. I do not share your conclusion.

Find me one example of that exact pattern (even played on different elements of the kit would be fine), timed in that manner, and woves into a (regular) rhythm. Perhaps you'll find one done afterwards (inspired by this one naturally), but not before. ;)

What makes this extra intriguing is the last hit (on the 4th count; 1st being the position of where normally the bassdrum of the beat is, 3rd being normally where the snare drum is).

Wait, did we just have two pages of discussion/argument about the merits of Phil Collins' drum fill? Not just the fill, but the rhythm that follows it is cool. His song, "I Don't Care Anymore," which is similar in style and atmosphere to "In the Air Tonight," also has a simple but memorable drum beat.

By the way, those of you old enough to remember will never be able to disassociate "In the Air Tonight" from the TV show "Miami Vice." In all seriousness, this one scene made the nerdy Phil Collins really, really fucking cool. (And for those of you not old enough to remember, that thing that Don Johnson steps into is called a "phone booth." :smartarse:)

Last edited:
And what is that exactly? I already said I also feel it's an OK fill at the exact right moment in a song. But that it's in no way unique, looking at it from a drumming perspective. I think we already came to this conclusion? Super simple fill...at the right time.

You're (for some reason) keen on discussing the drumming technique aspect of it. Simple, difficult, or anything else. That fill is likely the most iconic drum fill of all time. Not "the greatest fill", "the most proficient fill", but the most iconic. Kinda like how The Number of the Beast is by far the most iconic Maiden album there is.

Classic Rock Mega-Knockout: 32 to 16, Round 2 of 4

Songs in gold have survived beyond their seeding.
E03.png

"Hotel California" (The Eagles) [3] vs. "Smoke On The Water" (Deep Purple) [99]

"Crazy Train" (Ozzy Osbourne) [78] vs. "Won't Get Fooled Again" (The Who) [46]

"Tom Sawyer" (Rush) [59] vs. "Don't Fear The Reaper" (Blue Oyster Cult) [166]

"Sympathy For The Devil" (The Rolling Stones) [11] vs. "Paint It Black" (The Rolling Stones) [43]

Top song in each pair wins a tie.

One day left for Round 7
Also open: Round 8 , Round 1

My votes:

Joe Walsh / Don Felder epic closing solo beats Blackmore. Hotel California
Time for Ozzy to meet the new boss. Won't Get Fooled Again
Rush's best vs overrated BOC. Tom Sawyer
Sympathy cooks more than Brian Jone's cute little sitar riff. Sympathy For The Devil

Some idiot with a flare gun burned Hotel California to the ground. (That's a vote for Purple).
"Won't Get Fooled Again" by "Tom Sawyer".
I see a devil and I want to "Paint It Black".

Back