Classic albums and famous bands you don't like

The one that really, really jumps out at me here is Oasis. There'll be something I like with most other bands, but not Oasis.

I came across this interesting Slayer video recently

I had missed this one. Fantastic job and very funny.

As for the topic, I would name, mentionning only high profile bands :

Deep Purple
Most of Zeppelin (with the exception of Physical Grafitti, which I like a lot)
Metallica (with the exception of Ride the Lightning wich I love to listen to while running)
But my list should be topped by AC/DC and The Rolling Stones.

I love the style of power metal, I just think most bands in the genre lack originality and compelling performances. About the only bands classified "power metal" that I can take seriously are Kamelot and Symphony X (though most would argue they are prog). I would say Dio was the king of power metal, and that no one will ever touch his flair for songwriting, but some might take issue with that statement. (But I did say it, there, didn't I? Well, now it's out there. And I have exceeded the limitations of proper parenthetical usage).

Agree that Dio was a big influence on power metal. Have you listened to Blind Guardian? Love 'em. Their songwriting is a cut above. Their overdubbing gets a bit over the top at times, which isn't for everyone, but they learned it from Queen and Queen is awesome. Speaking of which, "Ogre Battle" might be the first power metal song.

If power metal was more like Ogre Battle, then it would probably be a genre that I could tolerate.

Back to the topic: I saw that Flash listed Coldplay. It made me realize we have tended to avoid in this thread those bands that are so obviously lame and awful -- yet nevertheless are "famous" if not "classic" -- that we haven't even really thought of them. So, while we're at it, let's not forget groups like ABBA, The Dave Matthews Band, Creed, Nickelback, Maroon 5, and all the boy bands.

All of which are still better than Kiss, though. (Just kidding, but they are not MUCH worse...)

Among bands that get talked about here, Guns n' Roses, Uriah Heep and Iced Earth come to mind. Not a fan of Judas Priest either, though I don't dislike them as such.

So, I just listened to "Ogre Battle" for the first time ever...AWESOME!

Back to the topic: I saw that Flash listed Coldplay. It made me realize we have tended to avoid in this thread those bands that are so obviously lame and awful -- yet nevertheless are "famous" if not "classic" -- that we haven't even really thought of them. So, while we're at it, let's not forget groups like ABBA, The Dave Matthews Band, Creed, Nickelback, Maroon 5, and all the boy bands.

All of which are still better than Kiss, though. (Just kidding, but they are not MUCH worse...)

I agree with all of this, especially Coldplay. I will say that I liked Maroon 5's first album. It was certainly poppy, but still cool. Nickelback may be one of the worst bands of all time.

The first Queen album is a classic. Actually, pretty much every Queen album is awesome. Only really bad one is Hot Space.

Nickelback is the worst thing to happen to music probably. Buckcherry is pretty awful too. I also hate Godsmack, Machine Head and Five Finger Death Punch.

Meh, that stuff doesn't last long. Nickelback has been around forever.

Bieber, One Direction is the worst kind of pop music. No rhythmic value, no comedic value, no fun, no lyrical success. Nothing. At least some other popular stuff like have something going on.

Nickelback aren't that bad, I bet half the people who say they hate them have either never heard them or quite like them... it's just the "cool" thing to do these days. It's practically how to define music hipsters!

No, they really are pretty bad. I will concede that they have some songs that are not terrible, but most their music is incredibly repetitive and self-referential. Most of their singles sound exactly the same. I'm pretty sure there's a YouTube video that puts them all together, and it works!

Musically, are there worse bands? Absolutely. But Nickelback takes the cake for repeating themselves without shame and writing very poor lyrics.

I've listened to their music and made my decision about them a long time ago. I legitimately do not like Nickelback. Here are some others:

A lot of modern day rock like Nickelback
Bob Dylan (Previously mentioned on here by me)
Aerosmith
Bon Jovi
Van Halen
Motley Crue
Poison
Green Day

These are only ones I could get off the top of my head.

A lot of people seem to hate Aerosmith and Bon Jovi. Though I have never listened to either band enough to say I like them, I've gotta credit where credit's due: they've both written some incredibly catchy, solid, rock songs.

Back