Change some of the Maiden setlists

Why throwing out COTD which was a pretty rare song back then?

I changed it with another rare song - Still Life ! Though, COTD has been played more than SL... and actually I think that Still Life is a very good song and can easily be a title song on POM.
And why "Be Quick Or Be Dead"? It was a war themed set for the most part. What would it have to do with anything? It wouldn't have worked IMO. At all.

For that song I did not take attention to the theme of the set... BQOBD is a hit Maiden song and Bruce would have done it amazing in 2006 ;)

I changed it with another rare song - Still Life ! Though, COTD has been played more than SL... and actually I think that Still Life is a very good song and can easily be a title song on POM.

So, you'd rename the tour A Matter Of The Mind?

It was A Matter Of The Beast tour for a reason...

Yeah, I know ! For the 2007 leg of that tour they should had to played TNOTB album in full with a song or two from AMOLAD + some rarities and other classics !

I will like Maiden to do a anniversary tour for some album.

Last edited:
Maiden never truly, intentionally did an album anniversary tour, and probably never will. I strongly believe the A Matter of the Beast tour only came to be because Rod was unhappy with the audience response to the band playing the full album in 2006; if it were completely up to the band, I think they would keep all the album's songs and only changed the encores. To cover that up, the tour was marketed as a Number of the Beast anniversary tour (which is ridiculous since there were only 4 songs played from it).

Maiden England 2014:

Original press release: "--this is likely to be the last time we will tour with a set list based on the ‘80s, and therefore the last time fans will EVER hear some of these songs played live. With this in mind, for the 2014 dates we plan to change the set list around a little, to make it more equally representative of the whole of the ‘80s period--"

Yet they replaced Afraid to Shoot Strangers (probably never played live again) with Revelations, which I absolutely love and it fitted very well there, [spoilers]but it's already being played again[/spoilers] and The Clairvoyant with Wratchild, which just got played again last year... While Revelations was indeed a great addition, the latter was almost ridiculous, even though Wratchild seemed to work great right after Seventh Son.

But yeah, here we got:

1. Moonchild
2. Can I Play With Madness
3. The Prisoner
4. 2 Minutes to Midnight
5. Revelations
6. The Trooper
7. Phantom of the Opera
8. The Number of the Beast
9. Remember Tomorrow
10. Wasted Years
11. Seventh Son of a Seventh Son
12. The Clairvoyant
13. Heaven Can Wait
14. Iron Maiden
15. Aces High
16. The Evil That Men Do
17. Prowler
This would be my ultimate mostly realistic Maiden England 2014 '80s Hits setlist:
  1. Moonchild
  2. The Evil That Men Do
  3. The Prisoner
  4. Revelations
  5. Stranger In A Strange Land
  6. The Trooper
  7. Still Life
  8. Number of the Beast
  9. Phantom of the Opera
  10. Wasted Years
  11. Seventh Son of a Seventh Son
  12. Powerslave
  13. Hallowed Be Thy Name
  14. Iron Maiden
  15. Aces High
  16. Two Minutes To Midnight
  17. Run To The Hills

Fear of the Dark 1992:

1. Be Quick or Be Dead
2. From Here to Eternity
3. Killers
4. Die With your Boots on
5. Afraid to Shoot Strangers
6. Judas be my Guide
7. Holy Smoke
8. The Trooper
9. Wasting Love
10. Childhood's End
11. The Number of the Beast
12. Fear of the Dark
13. The Evil that Men Do
14. Heaven Can Wait
15. Iron Maiden

16. Murders in the Rue Morgue
17. The Clairvoyant
18. Hallowed
19. Sanctuary

I would never touch "The Number of the Beast" on that tour. It was very refreshing to hear it right away, second song in.

I dunno. It worked well as an opener in 2003, but having the "woe to yo . . ." intro follow up a hard 'n fast opener like BQOBD kinda kills the momentum IMO.

Virtual XI tour 1998:

1.Futureal
2.Wrathchild
3.Lord Of The Flies
4.Heaven Can Wait
5.Man On The Edge
6.The Clansman
7.When Two Worlds Collide
8.2 Minutes To Midnight
9.Sign Of The Cross
10.The Educated Fool
11.Hallowed Be Thy Name
12.Don't Look To The Eyes Of A Stranger
13.Afraid To Shoot Strangers
14.Judgement Of Heaven
15.The Evil That Men Do
16.Fear Of The Dark
17.Iron Maiden
Encore:
18.The Number Of The Beast
19.The Trooper
20.Sanctuary

Not much changes, a couple of songs from the 2 Blaze albums - that tour was great ! :)

Dance Of Death tour 2003/2004:

1.Wildest Dreams
2.Wrathchild
3.Can I Play With Madness
4.Wasting Love
5.Dance Of Death
6.Rainmaker
7.Brave New World
8.Paschendale
9.Lord Of The Flies
10.No More Lies (or Face In The Sand)
11.Hallowed Be Thy Name
12.Fear Of The Dark
13.Iron Maiden
Encore:
14.Journeyman
15.The Number Of The Beast
16.Run To The Hills

The stage set and the setlist are one of my favorites ! Again, I have almost no remarks to the setlist - maybe 1 or 2 changes... :)

Face In The Sand is a real gem from the album, but I think they not played it, because it was hard for Nicko to do it live (probably in the studio too). The song is the only one where Nicko uses a double bass pedal - for some songs (either live or studio versions) I thought he uses double bass pedal, but that illusion is created by his drumming technique, and that's why he is the best drummer !
Though, he can't do (or he just change the drum beat) the intro in The Prisoner like Clive does it)

Dance Of Death tour 2003/2004:

1.Wildest Dreams
2.Wrathchild
3.Can I Play With Madness
4.Wasting Love
5.Dance Of Death
6.Rainmaker
7.Brave New World
8.Paschendale
9.Lord Of The Flies
10.No More Lies (or Face In The Sand)
11.Hallowed Be Thy Name
12.Fear Of The Dark
13.Iron Maiden
Encore:
14.Journeyman
15.The Number Of The Beast
16.Run To The Hills

The stage set and the setlist are one of my favorites ! Again, I have almost no remarks to the setlist - maybe 1 or 2 changes... :)

Face In The Sand is a real gem from the album, but I think they not played it, because it was hard for Nicko to do it live (probably in the studio too). The song is the only one where Nicko uses a double bass pedal - for some songs (either live or studio versions) I thought he uses double bass pedal, but that illusion is created by his drumming technique, and that's why he is the best drummer !
Though, he can't do (or he just change the drum beat) the intro in The Prisoner like Clive does it)
Nicko can't play double bass live, because his left foot is too weak and would sound very strange.

Nicko can't play double bass live, because his left foot is too weak and would sound very strange.

I think he said that it was hard for him in the studio too, and he doesn't like to use double bass pedal, because he thinks they are undrummerish.

Last edited:
I think he said that it was hard for him in the studio too, and he doesn't like to use double bass pedal, because he thinks they are undrummerish.

Not only that. The hits with his left foot were so much weaker that Kevin needed to enhance them in Pro Tools.

Not only that. The hits with his left foot were so much weaker that Kevin needed to enhance them in Pro Tools.

I think he also refused to use double bass pedal for Where Eagles Dare back in '83 !

If I'm not mistaken, the double bass pedal is usually used by the thrash metal drummers. o_O

Last edited:
I think he also refused to use double bass pedal for Where Eagles Dare back in '83 !

If I'm not mistaken, the double bass pedal is usually used by the trash metal drummers. o_O
Double bass is used by 2/3 of all drummers.

From Mitch Mitchell and Keith Moon onwards.

If I'm not mistaken, the double bass pedal is usually used by the trash metal drummers. o_O
Nicko has only ever used a double pedal once, on Face in the Sand.

Double bass is used by 2/3 of all drummers.

From Mitch Mitchell and Keith Moon onwards.
Mitch Mitchel and Keith Moon both played double bass drum kits from time to time, but they rarely actually used the second bass drum outside of perhaps a drum solo or two.

The use of double bass as a frequent musical technique only really started in the late 1970s/early 1980s (see- early Judas Priest, Motorhead records)

Back