Caught Somewhere In Time

How good is Caught Somewhere in Time on a scale of 1-10?

• Total voters
8/10 It has a great buildup in the intro, and overall good musically, but it gets a little repetitive lyrically.

Nice buildup, nice gallop. H's solo is one of his best on this track. What I personally think is underappreciated un this track is the rythm playing (bass and guitars) before and under the solos.

Great track
8/10

This one gets an 8. Nice opener, great way to introduce the album's thematic backdrop (time and futuristic sci-fi), but it goes on for a little longer than necessary. If it were a little bit shorter, it would've gotten a 9.

Incredible opener, for another amazing album. Great intro and gallop, I also really love the bass, especially during the solos. It could have possibly been slightly shorter though. 9/10, and only because I’m really trying to be stingy with the 10s

This record was the only one that for some reason didn't find it's way into our home when I was growing up and I never really cared for it when I bought and rebought the records on the late nineties. Especially i didnt like the sound of it. It wasn't until I got it on vinyl a couple of years ago that it clicked with me. Now I like it a lot but find it quite uneven and not very coherent.

This is a great opener and definitely one of the top songs on the record for me.

The beginning is great, the song is good and sets up the rest of the album, but honestly it's the weakest link on such a stellar album. Not that I'm complaining, but literally every other track is better. 9/10.

A harmonized lead echoes out over a bed of warm synths. The band joins in with a mid-paced gallop and the guitars soar higher before breaking into an uptempo gallop with a decent harmonized lead.

This leads into a pretty good verse and an OK but kind of awkward pre-chorus. Another round of verse, pre-chorus, and verse, and a brief melodic break carries us into a strong, soaring chorus.

A percussive break leads into a pretty good extended solo section punctuated by occasional rhythmic breaks, followed by a great final solo that leads back into the earlier harmonized lead.

Another round of verse, pre-chorus, verse, and melodic break, and we return to the chorus. Then a reprise of the rhythm under the final solo carries us into a big rock ending.

Iron Maiden debuts their new reverb-laden, synth-backed sound here, and it's mostly successful. This opener is a solid start with a lot of strong moments, but it only reaches greatness during that final solo. A robust 7/10 overall.

A cool opening riff kicks Maiden's sixth album off with a bit of a new sound before speeding into a faster piece that leads to the verse. Bruce is often chided for his vocals here, but I wouldn't say that they're all that bad as a whole, though not quite as good as previously. The chorus is a bit repetitive but works, but the instrumental section is where this song truly hits its stride, and is one of the band's best. It's a pretty strong song, but in a sea of strong songs, this one doesn't stand out quite as much as it probably should. 7

One of the best intros that Maiden have ever penned starts this amazing song. The guitar harmonies are flawless through the whole song. Fantastic drumming from Nicko, great verses and the chorus is good too. Both solos are amazing, but Adrian's one is brutally good (one of his best solos). The twin-lead guitar harmony is pure greatness. Great end to the song. Futuristic classic that comes form the past but will live beyond the future. I wish Maiden will play it live again (sadly, it was played only on the album tour..)/ 10/10.

Hi, I've reopened this song for voting, after resetting the votes.

Please add your vote for this song and consider the following tips:

• Try to be consistent across the Iron Maiden catalogue. Don't vote based on the place on the album, but the place in the overall catalogue.
  • 1 should be the worst Iron Maiden songs, 10 should be the best. You can have lots of 10s and 1s as you see fit.
  • Don't vote based on other people's votes. IE, if you think a song is overrated, don't give it a 1 or 2 just because you think it's getting "too high" of votes.

Another perfect song from SIT... tied for my third place (yes... I give 10/10 to FOUR SONGS in this record).

Checked my previous comments /rating from 11 years ago. It was a 7 and without all these strict rules I'm applying now. My appreciation for this song has grown since. If I were to rate it loosely like I used to do this would be a 9 by now.
First of all the rhythm section Nicko & Steve are on fire. Nicko sounds better than ever. As a matter of fact Somewhere in Time album is by far the best album performance by Nicko in my book. Then you have the sound of bass that's sick. What a sound. The song is the longest opener at that point and it's a galloping one. The sound of the guitars is also sick (I'll come back to that) but the solos even if they are objectively great and in a bombastic background, they fail to move me for some reason. Lyrics are mixed bag, there is this recurring wolf in <insert animal> clothing /skin which is ok. The concept that it's a soul travel in time and there's a chance to lose I like it a lot but the deepest sins take is mediocre and uninspired, just as Breeg etc.

Now the sound. Phenomenal. I remember a Maidenhead cousin of mine, without any technical knowledge or musical education telling me that the sound of this album is very fitting for the time traveling overall theme. (He was complaining for Shirley vs Birch).
This is the definition of success for the sound engineer /producer. If people without any knowledge can recognize a fitting sound signature!

In that regard Powerslave & Somewhere in Times are the most successful albums production wise as they have a sound signature fitting to their respective themes. Shirley managed to create a fitting & pleasing sound signature in Brave New World & A Matter of Life and Death.

Caught Somewhere in Time is ranked somewhere between 35 -51 in Maiden's catalogue, probably ~40.

Musically, this song is killer. Starting so futuristic and melodious before diving into a heavier riff, and complete with two phenomenal guitar solos! The new Maiden sound with guitar synths is lush and luxurious. But I think that Bruce’s performance here is a bit weak after Powerslave. Like he doesn’t care quite as much and phones it in a bit. And there are points where he dips out of the key. Shame, since these lines could’ve sounded amazing. Still, great song overall and just needed a better take vocally to be excellent. 8/10

Back