Bruce's Solo Discography Ranked - The Complete List

Well I ended up plowing through and compiled the list all tonight. Few things:

1. This is list is far from what I ever expected. These results are insane.

2. If all goes well, countdown will commence tomorrow. Yay!

3. Would you guys like if I scoured the forums for quotes for each song, in the vein of the Official Maiden Rankings?

Yes, please! ... as long as it does not slow the revealing process down too much. :)
I don't think it should! I'll be going at a decent pace to allow people to give their thoughts on the list as it progresses but not so slow that people will be asking for updates. There's 96 songs in total, so I'm expecting it to last... perhaps a month or so? We'll see. At any rate, I'll do my best to find a nice speed to post the updates. :)

Geez, are "Lickin' The Gun" and "Zulu Lulu" going to be the equivalent of "The Apparition" and "Weekend Warrior" for you two over here?

Geez, are "Lickin' The Gun" and "Zulu Lulu" going to be the equivalent of "The Apparition" and "Weekend Warrior" for you two over here?
God, no. "Weekend Warrior" is Maiden's worst album song. Unlike the other 3, which are very good.

Update: Final results!

Overall:
1 - Tears of the Dragon
2 - Omega
3 - Darkside of Aquarius

4 - Book of Thel
5 - The Tower
6 - Chemical Wedding

7 - Navigate the Seas of the Sun
8 - Jerusalem
9 - Arc of Space
10 - Kill Devil Hill
11 - Accident of Birth
12 - Silver Wings
13 - Man of Sorrows
14 - Road to Hell

15 - The Alchemist
16 - King in Crimson

17 - Broken
18 - A Tyranny of Souls
19 - Abduction

20 - Born in '58
21 - The Ghost of Cain
22 - Tattooed Millionaire
23 - Cyclops
24 - Return of the King
25 - Taking the Queen
26 - Gates of Urizen
27 - Inertia
28 - Power of the Sun
29 - River of No Return

30 - Eternal
31 - Back From The Edge
32 - Trumpets of Jericho
33 - Freak
34 - Soul Intruders
35 - Son of a Gun
36 - Change of Heart
37 - The Breeding House
38 - Starchildren
39 - Innerspace
40 - Strange Death In Paradise

41 - Laughing in the Hiding Bush
42 - Wicker Man
43 - Space Race
44 - Solar Confinement

45 - Machine Men
46 - Killing Floor

47 - The Magician
48 - Devil on a Hog
49 - Acoustic Song
50 - Welcome To The Pit
51 - No Way Out... Continued
52 - Gods of War
53 - Faith
54 - No Way Out... To Be Continued
55 - Sacred Cowboys
56 - 1000 Points of Light

57 - Bring Your Daughter... To The Slaughter
58 - Hell No
59 - All The Young Dudes
60 - Inside The Machine
61 - Real World
62 - Winds of Change

63 - Meltdown
64 - Gypsy Road
65 - Fire Child
66 - Shoot All The Clowns
67 - Octavia
68 - Dreamstate

69 - Hell On Wheels
70 - Fire
71 - Believil
72 - I Will Not Accept The Truth
73 - Mars Within
74 - Armchair Hero
75 - Toltec 7 Arrival
76 - God's Not Coming Back
77 - Darkness Be My Friend
78 - Confeos

79 - Headswitch
80 - Dive! Dive! Dive!
81 - Rescue Day
82 - No Lies
83 - Re-Entry
84 - Midnight Jam
85 - Over And Out
86 - Dracula
87 - Cadillac Gas Mask
88 - Tibet
89 - Elvis Has Left The Building
90 - Americans Are Behind

91 - Lickin' the Gun
92 - R 101
93 - Ballad of Mutt

94 - Zulu Lulu
95 - The Post Alternative Seattle Fall Out
96 - I'm In A Band With An Italian Drummer

Albums:
1 - The Chemical Wedding (9.63)
2 - Accident of Birth (9.05)
3 - Tyranny of Souls (8.11)
4 - Balls To Picasso (7)
5 - Skunkworks (6.67)
6 - Tattooed Millionaire (6.06)

96: I'm In A Band With An Italian Drummer
Average Score: 3.32/10
Bonus Tracks 1/31

I don't think I was expecting this to be in last place, but I think it's understandable and I'm kinda glad it did. There may be a couple worse songs but this is definitely in with his five worst. It's a pointless song that tries to be funny but ends up being boring. So boring, in fact, that it's the only song on this list that has an average below 4/10. When it comes down to it, I'm not surprised this song is last and I support those who voted it here (including myself).

Choice comments:

I'm In A Band With An Italian Drummer is the funniest song though!
The B-sides on Bruce's best of are great, and I'm In A Band With An Italian Drummer alone is worth the price.
Well, I seem to be the only one who doesn't dislike Italian Drummer. Way better b sides on Skunkworks than on Balls.
I like Italian Drummer a lot. Hilarious.
I think I may be the only Iron Maiden fan who just does not like the "joke" songs. They're funny as a sketch in a chuckling kind of way, but nothing I'd ever want to relisten to as an actual song.
Really don't care for this one.
At least it's fun(ny).
I find it somewhat funny as an Italian

Votes:
10 - 0
9 - 0
8 - 0
7 - 3
6 - 3
5 - 0
4 - 0
3 - 3
2 - 5
1 - 5

Overall:

Albums:
Bonus Tracks 1/31

Last edited:
No, because I don't care much for Lickin' or Zulu but I love Apparition and Warrior. And if it's any consolation, you shouldn't be too disappointed in where the two songs landed on this list.

95: The Post Alternative Seattle Fall Out
Average Score: 4/10
Bonus Tracks 2/31

Another song I don't care for happens to be the second lowest ranked song in the countdown. Once again I understand why people dislike it and once again am I happy it isn't any higher. Another boring song from Bruce, but luckily it's a mere bonus track from the BTP re-release. One thing I find interesting is how this song's title almost foreshadows the move to alt / grunge with the following album, Skunkworks. Ah well, that album is better than this track.

Choice comments:

Most of Bruce's b-sides were brilliant.
Wow!
I had never even heard of ''The Post Alternative Seattle Fall Out''.
This actually reminds me of Buckethead. That doesn't save it from being a completely boring track.

Votes:
10 - 0
9 - 0
8 - 0
7 - 2
6 - 1
5 - 6
4 - 3
3 - 3
2 - 1
1 - 3

Overall:

Albums:
Bonus Tracks 2/31

94: Zulu Lulu
Average Score: 4.05/10
Tattooed Millionaire 1/10

And what'd I tell you? The first song actually originally released on an album hits the list and I doubt anyone was expecting something different. Zulu Lulu is truly a weird song that not too many care for. Certainly this style isn't something Bruce excelled at, given the opinions of the voters here. I think the song has the potential to be very fun and a somewhat enjoyable listen, but I've never been able to get that when actually listening to it. Rest easy, @Jer , there was never any reason to doubt that this song would end up near the bottom of the list. I've included the SMX quote because I found it humorous that he was describing RATM while listening to Zulu. Disregard it at your will.

Choice comments:

Now playing: Rage Against The Machine, "Wake Up".

No, wait - my winamp just moved on to a new song.

Now playing: Bruce Dickinson, "Zulu Lulu".

But about that RATM song - if you're not into RATM, I can't understand why not. They were a great band; their debut album is a monster classic. Rocha's "vocals" (i.e. his rapping) may not be every metalhead's cup of tea, but it's not bad ... and the music is colossal. Those riffs are fucking huge. I don't know which musician writes them (I presume guitarist Tom Morello is the primary culprit), but those guys could compete with Tony Iommi for the title of all-time monster-riff-creator.

And the song has changed again!

Now playing: Iron Maiden, "The Number Of The Beast" (one of the versions from BBC Archives).
I wish I had a nickel for every version of this song I've got.
Because then I'd have 95 cents!
Zulu Lulu is a fun song.
I'm not a Zulu Lulu fan, but it's enjoyable.
Zulu Lulu [sucks].
I don't think Zulu Lulu is exactly one of Bruce's stronger efforts.
Zulu Lulu is a weird, weird song, but it's so weird that it can't really be terrible in my eyes.
What an awful song !

Votes:
10 - 0
9 - 0
8 - 1
7 - 1
6 - 0
5 - 7
4 - 4
3 - 3
2 - 2
1 - 2

Overall:
94 - Zulu Lulu

Albums:
Bonus Tracks 2/31

93: Ballad of Mutt
Average Score: 4.18/10
Bonus Tracks 3/31

Y'know, the past three songs were definitely very meh, but I think they had something to them. This song would probably be my pick for Bruce's worst song. As he stated in the Best of Bruce Dickinson track "The Voice of Crube", it's wonderfully un-PC. I don't care if it is or not, it's just a very bad song. Bruce seems to enjoy it, though, but then, it's his song. I just want it to end as soon as it begins. Clearly it isn't one of his better tracks - it's the fourth worst one according to these votes.

Choice comments:

Infidelity is a topic which surfaces in a few Bruce songs as well, most noticably in "Ballad Of Mutt". I wonder if these lyrics were inspired by Bruce's personal relationships?
the oddity of hearing Bruce do an acoustic blues song makes it interesting enough
Eh... nah, it's pointless.
This song is not good. At least Bruce sounds like he's having fun! :D

Votes:
10 - 0
9 - 1
8 - 0
7 - 2
6 - 1
5 - 5
4 - 1
3 - 1
2 - 4
1 - 2

Overall:
93 - Ballad of Mutt
94 - Zulu Lulu

Albums:
Bonus Tracks 3/31

"Italian Drummer" surely deserves a low spot on the list, but I don't think it deserves the very bottom one. Bruce's has done worse.

It is better than much of TOS though. It has energy and it was really produced. ;)
I gave Zulu Lulu a 5/10 myself. The only song to get a 5/10 from TOS was "Mars Within" because it isn't much of a 'song'. Tyranny of Souls is an excellent album and it doesn't hold any bad songs on it. I also enjoy the production and the style Bruce was going for. Great stuff.

92: R 101
Average Score: 4.33/10
Bonus Tracks 4/10

As many people have stated over the years, R 101 is best described as Bruce's take on a Led Zeppelin III track. The feel and vibe are nearly identical. Of course, a song entitled "R 101" is likely going to also bring to mind the 18-minute Bruce epic masterpiece from The Book of Souls entitled "Empire of the Clouds", which happens to be my personal favorite song of all time - but then you knew that. As far as I can tell, "R 101" has got nothing to do with the airship and the title is disconnected from the rest of the song. This one isn't bad, but it certainly has nothing special or memorable going for it. A nice listen when it comes on at most.

Choice comments:

A song called R 101. Forgot about that one. Last time I listened to those songs was for the last Bruce survivor. :D
R 101 is an acoustic song in the folky being of Led Zeppelin III, hence the pun on the title. :lol:

Votes:
10 - 0
9 - 0
8 - 0
7 - 4
6 - 1
5 - 3
4 - 5
3 - 1
2 - 2
1 - 2

Overall: