Bruce's Solo Discography Ranked - The Complete List

91: Lickin' the Gun
Average Score: 4.37/10
Tattooed Millionaire 2/10

The second album track to hit the list and it too comes out of Tattooed Millionaire. As far as I can tell, the only real supporter of this track is @Number 6 . Most people hate it, or at least dislike it a lot. Not surprising it's this low, it's a very meh song with one of the worst choruses ever. TM has a lot of really cool underrated songs, but this ain't one of them. In fact, it's justification for disliking the album, so yeah, it's low for a reason.

Choice comments:

Reminds me of Walk This Way though.
Lickin' the Gun is truly awful. Even bad IE is better.
Lickin' The Gun is really, really bad.
Actively bad.
He really should know better.
The chorus is pretty dumb and it's easily one of his most throwaway tracks.
"Lickin' The Gun" is probably the worst album track Bruce has done since joining Maiden.
Bruce's worst song.
Another one I find to be underappreciated and enjoy much more than others.

Votes:
10 - 0
9 - 0
8 - 1
7 - 1
6 - 4
5 - 4
4 - 4
3 - 1
2 - 1
1 - 3

Overall:
91 - Lickin' the Gun
92 - R 101
93 - Ballad of Mutt
94 - Zulu Lulu
95 - The Post Alternative Seattle Fall Out
96 - I'm In A Band With An Italian Drummer

Albums:
Bonus Tracks 4/31

Last edited:
I’d switch Licking the Gun and Zulu Lulu but otherwise hard to argue with that. Bruce does Aerosmith was a low moment. Similarly not a fan of Shoot All the Clowns.

As far as I can tell, "R 101" has got nothing to do with the airship and the title is disconnected from the rest of the song.
The R101 was a zeppelin, and this song sounds like Led Zeppelin, so that's how it got its title. Obviously Bruce's infatuation with the R101 began much earlier in life.

I’d switch Licking the Gun and Zulu Lulu but otherwise hard to argue with that. Bruce does Aerosmith was a low moment. Similarly not a fan of Shoot All the Clowns.
"Shoot All the Clowns" is certainly better than "Lickin' the Gun", but both are pretty awesome and fun IMO.

The R101 was a zeppelin, and this song sounds like Led Zeppelin, so that's how it got its title. Obviously Bruce's infatuation with the R101 began much earlier in life.
From what I understand, he was always fascinated by the R101 but the recent acquisition of memorabilia and reading a book on it (I think called To Ride the Storm) was what inspired Empire of the Clouds.

90: Americans Are Behind
Average Score: 4.39/10
Bonus Tracks 5/31

I'm kinda sad to see this song so low. Bruce's silly songs don't often succeed, and yet I feel he pulls it off with this one. The posh British accent sells it. I think it could've been higher than some other songs, but then Bruce's solo career holds a treasure trove of great tracks so maybe its low ranking is justified. Maybe. We'll see how the rest of the list plays out.

Choice comments:

Has anybody heard it? :huh:
I find it hilarious, together with Elvis and Italian Drummer. Always puts a smile on my face.
One of Bruce's most fun joke tracks, if not outstanding it's very enjoyable.

Votes:
10 - 0
9 - 0
8 - 0
7 - 3
6 - 5
5 - 2
4 - 2
3 - 1
2 - 2
1 - 3

Overall:
90 - Americans Are Behind
91 - Lickin' the Gun
92 - R 101
93 - Ballad of Mutt
94 - Zulu Lulu

Albums:
Bonus Tracks 5/31

89: Elvis Has Left The Building
Average Score: 4.4/10
Bonus Tracks 6/31

A very, very weird Bruce track that I personally find very enjoyable, but others don't seem to care for. It's definitely not one I would have expected to get very high, but I don't think I would consider it "below average", as the average score shows here. Fun and understated, but that's only my opinion.

Choice comments:

Unlike a lot of joke songs, this one works. Really well. Not essential but very fun listen.

Votes:
10 - 0
9 - 1
8 - 1
7 - 0
6 - 4
5 - 3
4 - 6
3 - 1
2 - 1
1 - 3

Overall:
89 - Elvis Has Left The Building
91 - Lickin' the Gun
92 - R 101
93 - Ballad of Mutt
94 - Zulu Lulu

Albums:
Bonus Tracks 6/31

88: Tibet
Average Score: 4.74/10
Bonus Tracks 7/31

We're stuck with the Balls To Picasso bonus tracks for a little now. If you thought "Elvis" was weird, then "Tibet" must be even crazier. It's very different from pretty much anything he's ever done, and some people like it, others don't. I do believe that... yep, this is the first song on the list to have received a 10/10 vote. There'll be more on the way.

Choice comments:

Tibet escapes by the skin of its teeth because I love that guitar in the middle so much.
Not good.
Much better, decent number.

Votes:
10 - 1
9 - 0
8 - 0
7 - 3
6 - 3
5 - 4
4 - 3
3 - 1
2 - 2
1 - 2

Overall:
88 - Tibet
91 - Lickin' the Gun
92 - R 101
93 - Ballad of Mutt
94 - Zulu Lulu

Albums:
Bonus Tracks 7/31

87: Cadillac Gas Mask
Average Score: 4.79/10
Bonus Tracks 8/10

I'm not really sure what to say about this one. I know some enjoy it, some don't... I find it better than some of the BTP bonus tracks but I don't think it's a very memorable song all the same. Certainly not a surprise where it landed.

Choice comments:

Well, it has a good amount of country twang to it.
Fabulous.
Over and Out, Tibet, and Cadillac Gas Mask are all in the same boat for me - very different songs from his usual stuff, not bad, but nothing compelling.

Votes:
10 - 0
9 - 1
8 - 0
7 - 2
6 - 3
5 - 5
4 - 3
3 - 3
2 - 2
1 - 0

Overall:
87 - Cadillac Gas Mask
88 - Tibet
91 - Lickin' the Gun
92 - R 101
93 - Ballad of Mutt
94 - Zulu Lulu

Albums:
Bonus Tracks 8/31

86: Dracula
Average Score: 5.11/10
Bonus Tracks 9/31

Okay, so technically "Dracula" isn't a solo Bruce song, but was actually a composition by the band Shots and became the first thing Bruce ever recorded. That said, it was eventually released on the Best of Bruce Dickinson compilation, so I decided to include it anyway. I like it a lot; despite its antiquity it still holds up, is a very fun track, and showcases the beginnings of someone who would eventually become one of the world's greatest vocalists. Lots of people seem to disagree with my way of thinking, however. The voting is all over the place - the only thing not voted for is an 8. This is the first song to get above 5/10, by the way. We're in average territory now.

Choice comments:

Technically this isn't solo Bruce, but it was released as that so eh. Bruce has an amazing solo discography, but goddamn, he started his career on a fucking high note. I don't want to love this as much as a I do, but... I really do. The lyrics are silly and cheesy but they're perfect nonetheless. The performances of everyone - goddamn this is a good song. I love it.
Too awkward for my taste. I can't even find it funny. I do kinda like the overall instrumental, which saved it from being a 1.
Terrible.

Votes:
10 - 2
9 - 1
8 - 0
7 - 2
6 - 3
5 - 3
4 - 2
3 - 1
2 - 1
1 - 3

Overall:
86 - Dracula
87 - Cadillac Gas Mask
88 - Tibet
91 - Lickin' the Gun
92 - R 101
93 - Ballad of Mutt
94 - Zulu Lulu

Albums:
Bonus Tracks 9/31

85: Over And Out
Average Score: 5.2/10
Bonus Tracks 10/31

Yet another BTP bonus track. That album has a very interesting selection of extras - there are some of Bruce's best songs there, but also some of his worst. Over And Out isn't a much beloved track and isn't very high in this list, which makes sense and I don't think I'd wanna see it rise much.

Choice comments:

Over & Out is not good.
Very different kind of Bruce song. Pretty decent.

Votes:
10 - 0
9 - 0
8 - 2
7 - 2
6 - 5
5 - 5
4 - 3
3 - 1
2 - 2
1 - 0

Overall:
85 - Over And Out
86 - Dracula
87 - Cadillac Gas Mask
88 - Tibet
91 - Lickin' the Gun
92 - R 101
93 - Ballad of Mutt
94 - Zulu Lulu

Albums:
Bonus Tracks 10/31

84: Midnight Jam
Average Score: 5.39/10
Bonus Tracks 11/31

I get why some people would like this song, but I'm not a fan. According to Bruce, they had decided to find out what happens after the fade, and this was the result. As for the lyrics, they're supposed to be a sequel to "Taking the Queen". Eh, this isn't really my thing. Feels like Bruce had too much time on his hands. But to each his own.

Choice comments:

It actually feels twice as long. Shame, because it could've been a 7 or an 8 if it were 1 or 2 minutes shorter.

Votes:
10 - 1
9 - 0
8 - 0
7 - 4
6 - 4
5 - 4
4 - 2
3 - 1
2 - 2
1 - 0

Overall:
84 - Midnight Jam
85 - Over And Out
86 - Dracula
87 - Cadillac Gas Mask
88 - Tibet
91 - Lickin' the Gun
92 - R 101
93 - Ballad of Mutt
94 - Zulu Lulu

Albums:
Bonus Tracks 11/31

Yet another BTP bonus track. That album has a very interesting selection of extras - there are some of Bruce's best songs there, but also some of his worst.
Well, you've got tracks from two different aborted albums in there, so it's a strange mix.

The most divisive ones are from the work with Keith Olsen, which include:
  • No Way Out...Continued
  • Cadillac Gas Mask
  • Over And Out
  • Tibet
  • Tears Of The Dragon (First Bit, Long Bit, Last Bit)
...and a sixth one that I don't recall off the top of my head. Might have been "The Post-Alternative Seattle Fallout" or "Elvis Has Left The Building".

83: Re-Entry
Average Score: 5.56/10
Bonus Tracks 12/31

Skunkworks is back with its extras in the form of this song. I dunno what to say about this except that it's got an average rating and I agree with that. Probably one of the more prominent Skunkworks bonus tracks, given that it also appeared on Best of Bruce Dickinson. Decent.

Choice comments:

Well this is disappointing - I have found none.

Votes:
10 - 1
9 - 0
8 - 3
7 - 4
6 - 2
5 - 3
4 - 1
3 - 1
2 - 1
1 - 2

Overall:
83 - Re-Entry
84 - Midnight Jam
85 - Over And Out
86 - Dracula
87 - Cadillac Gas Mask
88 - Tibet
91 - Lickin' the Gun
92 - R 101
93 - Ballad of Mutt
94 - Zulu Lulu

Albums:
Bonus Tracks 12/31

82: No Lies
Average Score: 5.6/10
Tattooed Millionaire 3/10

I was hoping to see another album song hit the list, and here we go! Well... it comes at a price. I actually really like "No Lies", I think it's a flawed but very enjoyable track that has a lot going for it. The chorus is supreme. But obviously most people disagree, or at least don't enjoy it to the same extent. There's a good bit of throwback to "Bring Your Daughter... To The Slaughter" which people have commented about in the past. Third TM track to hit the list, and this is before any other albums rear their heads. Sad jams.

Choice comments:

I love No Lies.
Don't get the No Lies hate. Good tune. Exciting, energetic instrumental part. Highlight of that tour as well (as seen on the video or dvd).
It sounds too much like he's trying to recapture BYDTTS. It has a cool chorus but the rest I can do without.
Exactly. I think it's a tame, toothless knockoff from that song.
Far from a perfect song, but it's a great closer, the ending is pretty awesome, and I adore the chorus. Does feel partly like a BYDTTS rip-off, but I'm okay with that.

Votes:
10 - 0
9 - 1
8 - 2
7 - 3
6 - 5
5 - 4
4 - 3
3 - 1
2 - 0
1 - 1

Overall:
82 - No Lies
83 - Re-Entry
84 - Midnight Jam
85 - Over And Out
86 - Dracula
87 - Cadillac Gas Mask
88 - Tibet
91 - Lickin' the Gun
92 - R 101
93 - Ballad of Mutt
94 - Zulu Lulu

Albums:
Tattooed Millionaire 3/10
Bonus Tracks 12/31

82: No Lies
Kind of shocked that this one went down in flames before "Dive, Dive, Dive!" and "Hell On Wheels", but I'm pleasantly surprised that Tattooed Millionaire songs continue to fall before anything else. I was afraid we'd be seeing some Skunkworks tracks showing up by now...

Kind of shocked that this one went down in flames before "Dive, Dive, Dive!" and "Hell On Wheels", but I'm pleasantly surprised that Tattooed Millionaire songs continue to fall before anything else. I was afraid we'd be seeing some Skunkworks tracks showing up by now...
We're quite close to some of these, actually...

Back