Bruce's Solo Discography Ranked - The Complete List

I certainly think it's most deserving of taking home the trophy. It's his epic masterpiece and showcases how far he'd come as a songwriter by the time The Chemical Wedding was released.

One of the first things that grabbed me from that track was the usage of Shakespeare ("By the pricking of my thumbs / Something wicked this way comes") - good lord is that fucking epic!
Agreed. However, I don't think it would feel far off on a Maiden album.

Perhaps in basis - after all, it's based on a poem like Steve's masterpiece, "Rime of the Ancient Mariner". And there are some similarities, but overall what I love about Bruce's solo stuff is that it's sufficiently different to up the listening pleasure and make sure there's no boredom whatsoever in listening to them.

IMO, the two most Maiden-like tracks Bruce has released are "Road to Hell" and "The Tower" (the latter mainly because of Adrian).

Lol! Speaking of which, The Tower is taking this poll by storm! I love it but I would never have expected it to be doing this well.

How well? That's for me to know and you all to find out. :ok:

Tattooed Millionaire: Lots of mediocre and throwaway stuff on this one, unfortunately. "Born In '58" is probably the strongest one on offer here, with the title track and "Son Of A Gun" also being reasonably strong. On the other hand, "Lickin' The Gun" is probably the worst album track Bruce has done since joining Maiden, and dreck like "Zulu Lulu" and "Dive! Dive! Dive!" doesn't do him any favors.

Balls To Picasso: A number of middling songs with a few very bright spots. "Tears Of The Dragon" is an obvious classic, probably Bruce's signature song. "Laughing In The Hiding Bush" and "Sacred Cowboys" are also quite strong. "Change Of Heart" has some cringeworthy parts, but nothing on the album is awful.

Skunkworks: A little uneven, but its high points absolutely crackle. "Solar Confinement", "Innerspace", and "Strange Death In Paradise" are stunning classics. "Faith", "Inside The Machine", and "Meltdown" are also very strong. The closest thing to a dud is "Dreamstate", which is still pretty decent. Love this album.

Accident Of Birth: More consistent than Skunkworks, though the highs aren't quite as high here. "Taking The Queen", "Darkside Of Aquarius", "Man Of Sorrows", "Omega", and "Arc Of Space" are all great, and the rest of the tracks are strong too.

The Chemical Wedding: Not as immediate as Accident Of Birth, but has lots of depth and texture when you give it a chance to sink in. "The Tower" and "Book Of Thel" are brilliant, and most of the other tracks are very close behind. "Trumpets Of Jericho" is probably the weakest track here, and it's still pretty strong. Love the downtuned 7-string guitars, love the dark themes. I'm also partial to this one because Adrian thanked me in the liner notes. :cool:

Tyranny Of Souls: You can tell that Adrian isn't on this record, and his finesse is missed. While there's still some great stuff like "Kill Devil Hill" and the title track, there's also questionable stuff like "Devil On A Hog" and good-but-not-great tracks like "Abduction" and "Soul Intruders". The B-side "Eternal" is fantastic, though, and probably should have taken the place of one of the weaker songs on the album.

When I rated individual songs, I tried to rate them in the context of Bruce's entire solo catalog, so songs that I liked on Tattooed Millionaire may have only gotten a 6 or 7, while classics like "Tears Of The Dragon", "Innerspace", "The Tower", and "Eternal" would get a 9 or 10. I'll be interested to see how the overall ratings work out.

Voted yesterday :) I might do post with a song-by-song review at some point, but for now I'll stick to a short album ranking:

1. The Chemical Wedding 10/10
- Much praise, such wow! In all seriousness, while I don't think it's 100 % perfect all the way through, it's certainly a masterpiece and deserves the top spot, though it only JUST edges out AOB in my opinion. The only two songs that doesn't click with me just as much as the others are Killing Floor (Machine Men is soo much better!) and Gates of Urizen, but it's not enough to bring the total score down.
2. Accident of Birth 9/10
- It's almost as amazing as TCW, but one track in particular keeps it from getting a perfect score: Welcome to the Pit. It's not bad, but it's really the definition of mediocre in my book. I'm also not too fond of the title track - controversial perhaps, but I feel it drags on without getting anywhere. Fun observation: this might be the album where most songs bring back very specific memories (and good ones!) whenever I listen to it. God, I love the power of music :)
3. Balls to Picasso 8/10
- I don't know if I'm alone with this, but I think Balls is a really strong album. Sure, it's different and it has a troubled history, but I think it shows Bruce at his most honest and vulnerable, which makes it very poignant. It's both heartfelt and silly at times, but silly in a emotional way. Cyclops is one of my favourites (it probably belongs in my top 5) and among the bonus tracks we find perhaps the two strongest songs to not be included on an album proper - The Breeding House and Fire Child.
4. Tyranny of Souls 8/10
- If I were to describe the album in one sentence, I'd say "let down by a lack of consistency". When it's good, it's completely on par with AOB and TCW, but a lot of songs feel half-baked and unfinished. Believil, for example, could've been amazing, but it ends up being a mess. On the other hand, the title track might be the strongest of its kind in Bruce's entire catalogue (that chorus!). Abduction is amazing too.
5. Tattooed Millionaire 7/10
- Good, silly fun. The first three songs are Bruce classics in my book, and though the album takes a dip in quality after that, it's still pretty enjoyable. It's obviously not meant to be taken seriously, so I won't over-analyze anything. The album still has the dubious honour of containing Bruce's worst song in Lickin' the Gun, but in the end it matters very little.
6. Skunkworks 6/10
- It's tough to write about this. Once again, there's a great opener in Space Race, and Solar Confinement is a decent tune too, but otherwise I have a lot of trouble distinguishing between the songs - they just sound the same! I'm not saying that it's objectively a bad album, and I understand Bruce put everything he had into making it at the time, but I just can't get into it. Maybe I'm just not fond of the grungey guitartone and production, I don't know. Ultimately, it sits firmly at the bottom of my list, and I don't see anything happening that will change this unfortunately.

I voted yesterday. It would be interesting to see the results.

Tattooed Millionaire: Lots of mediocre and throwaway stuff on this one, unfortunately. "Born In '58" is probably the strongest one on offer here, with the title track and "Son Of A Gun" also being reasonably strong. On the other hand, "Lickin' The Gun" is probably the worst album track Bruce has done since joining Maiden, and dreck like "Zulu Lulu" and "Dive! Dive! Dive!" doesn't do him any favors.

Balls To Picasso: A number of middling songs with a few very bright spots. "Tears Of The Dragon" is an obvious classic, probably Bruce's signature song. "Laughing In The Hiding Bush" and "Sacred Cowboys" are also quite strong. "Change Of Heart" has some cringeworthy parts, but nothing on the album is awful.

Skunkworks: A little uneven, but its high points absolutely crackle. "Solar Confinement", "Innerspace", and "Strange Death In Paradise" are stunning classics. "Faith", "Inside The Machine", and "Meltdown" are also very strong. The closest thing to a dud is "Dreamstate", which is still pretty decent. Love this album.

Accident Of Birth: More consistent than Skunkworks, though the highs aren't quite as high here. "Taking The Queen", "Darkside Of Aquarius", "Man Of Sorrows", "Omega", and "Arc Of Space" are all great, and the rest of the tracks are strong too.

The Chemical Wedding: Not as immediate as Accident Of Birth, but has lots of depth and texture when you give it a chance to sink in. "The Tower" and "Book Of Thel" are brilliant, and most of the other tracks are very close behind. "Trumpets Of Jericho" is probably the weakest track here, and it's still pretty strong. Love the downtuned 7-string guitars, love the dark themes. I'm also partial to this one because Adrian thanked me in the liner notes. :cool:

Tyranny Of Souls: You can tell that Adrian isn't on this record, and his finesse is missed. While there's still some great stuff like "Kill Devil Hill" and the title track, there's also questionable stuff like "Devil On A Hog" and good-but-not-great tracks like "Abduction" and "Soul Intruders". The B-side "Eternal" is fantastic, though, and probably should have taken the place of one of the weaker songs on the album.

When I rated individual songs, I tried to rate them in the context of Bruce's entire solo catalog, so songs that I liked on Tattooed Millionaire may have only gotten a 6 or 7, while classics like "Tears Of The Dragon", "Innerspace", "The Tower", and "Eternal" would get a 9 or 10. I'll be interested to see how the overall ratings work out.

My assessment of Bruce's career is quite similar to yours, although I think I rate Balls to Picasso a bit higher.

From best to worst, with the top one being an absolute masterpiece:

The Chemical Wedding
Accident of Birth
Skunkworks
Balls to Picasso
Tyranny of Souls
Tattooed Millionaire

Last edited:
When I rated individual songs, I tried to rate them in the context of Bruce's entire solo catalog, so songs that I liked on Tattooed Millionaire may have only gotten a 6 or 7, while classics like "Tears Of The Dragon", "Innerspace", "The Tower", and "Eternal" would get a 9 or 10.
That's not good. People should rate songs based on how much they like them, no matter on which albums they are, no matter if a shit song follows it or not.

The bass intro definitely sounds like Wrathchild (though better :ok:). You can definitely tell it's Adrian playing on there, which is what makes it seem so Maiden-esque.

But it's pure Bruce awesomeness through-and-through.

That's not good. People should rate songs based on how much they like them, no matter on which albums they are, no matter if a shit song follows it or not.
I think what he meant is that he'll be rating the songs having a look over Dickinson's entire discography. For example, let's say "Tattooed Millionaire" is his favorite track from the album (just an example, I don't know if it is). As good as it might be, he doesn't think it's as good as the stuff from, say, The Chemical Wedding, or Accident of Birth. In this case, as much as he likes the song, he cannot rate it very highly because it's not on par with the very best of Bruce's entire discography in his opinion.

Reactions: Jer
I think what he meant is that he'll be rating the songs having a look over Dickinson's entire discography. For example, let's say "Tattooed Millionaire" is his favorite track from the album (just an example, I don't know if it is). As good as it might be, he doesn't think it's as good as the stuff from, say, The Chemical Wedding, or Accident of Birth. In this case, as much as he likes the song, he cannot rate it very highly because it's not on par with the very best of Bruce's entire discography in his opinion.
Yes, this. I'm not going to give the best song on Tattooed Millionaire a 10/10 unless it deserves a 10/10 against his whole catalog. Doing anything else would make the results pointless, because the songs are going to be ranked against each other across albums.

Why do I have a bad feeling that Zulu Lulu is going to beat some Skunkworks songs because people didn't consider this...?

Jer, Number 6:

Do you mean you also give the worst Bruce song(s) a 1, only because it is the worst and not because it is utter, utter, utter shite? So, even a 1 if it is bearable/listenable?

Not a single rating event in the worlds works like this. If a jury gives ratings in a sport event, they don't have to give a 1 to the worst. I have no clue where this desire -let alone idea- is coming from. I don't have it.

An absolute grade really says something about the individual like factor of a song, on its own. It defines judgement. It summarizes a total of negative and positive aspects.

I'll show it with some examples:

If two people vote "the relative way" and both give a 1 for the same song. What do we know? Do we know that this song sits at the very bottom of all Dickinson songs, for these persons? Or do we know if the song sits in a group of 10 or 20 or 30 "least" good Dickinson songs? If someone terribly hates Dickinson, more than half of the songs could have a 1. One person could see the song with a 1 as one of his least favourite songs, but still doesn't avoid it like the plague, like the other person is doing, cursing it and hating it terribly much. So what do we know? We don't know. In theory, we know nothing. Apart from a ranking of a song in the total. But we do not really know the context. We do not know why a song is at a certain position. It's the total of unknown subjective randomness. We do not know what someone thinks about a song. There's is no individual aspect to be deduced.

If one person votes "the relative way", e.g. gives a song a 2 because the song is in the top half of his lowest 20 percent (or whatever subjective own other method is used) of all Dickinson songs, but still this person tolerates it, and stamps it as "unsufficient", or "weak"..
And another person does it "the absolute way", e.g. has the same feelings about the song, but gives it a 4 or 5...
Then what do we know? With the first person we cannot see from the grade how he likes the song. At most, we could try to see a position in someone's ranking, although we do not really know it, because we do not know how the distribution of grades is done (e.g. the following is possible if we pretend Dickinson has 80 songs and an even distribution of grades is desired: 8x10, 8x9, 8x8, 8x7, 8x6, 8x5, 8x4, 8x3, 8x2, 8x1, but there are dozens of other possibilities).
We can see it from the 2nd person (if some known system is used). But what is such a mix worth? Not much either.

So in the end, it's the best when everybody uses absolute -generally known- definitions for grades. This way, we both can value the individual appreciation, and the total.

So in the end, it's the best when everybody uses absolute -generally known- definitions for grades. This way, we both can value the individual appreciation, and the total.
Best for who? For you? Don't try to impose your personal opinion and point of view on others, Foro. Diesel himself (and this is his "game") said we should be voting relative to Dickinson's own back catalog, not relative to all music. In that way, yes, your least favorite Bruce song should be getting a 1. Because you're comparing Bruce to Bruce. We're ignoring the rest of the music that's out there, for this to work like Diesel wants it to we need to pretend Dickinson's solo albums are the only existing pieces of music out there. There is a worst one in everybody's opinions, and that "worst" should be getting a 1 in this case, as much as you like it and thinks it's good in comparison to other kinds of music. That's how I rate Maiden's music here ("Weekend Warrior" is my least favorite Maiden song, and as this is a Maiden forum, I gave it a 1, but I'd happily take it over the majority of other music that's out there). And I'm pretty sure other people do it the same way.

You can make this a personal case, but I have given other arguments you are completely disregarding.

Now again without these couple of words "it's the best" you were focusing on.

Jer, Number 6:

Do you mean you also give the worst Bruce song(s) a 1, only because it is the worst and not because it is utter, utter, utter shite? So, even a 1 if it is bearable/listenable?

Not a single rating event in the worlds works like this. If a jury gives ratings in a sport event, they don't have to give a 1 to the worst. I have no clue where this desire -let alone idea- is coming from. I don't have it.

An absolute grade really says something about the individual like factor of a song, on its own. It defines judgement. It summarizes a total of negative and positive aspects.

I'll show it with some examples:

If two people vote "the relative way" and both give a 1 for the same song. What do we know? Do we know that this song sits at the very bottom of all Dickinson songs, for these persons? Or do we know if the song sits in a group of 10 or 20 or 30 "least" good Dickinson songs? If someone terribly hates Dickinson, more than half of the songs could have a 1. One person could see the song with a 1 as one of his least favourite songs, but still doesn't avoid it like the plague, like the other person is doing, cursing it and hating it terribly much. So what do we know? We don't know. In theory, we know nothing. Apart from a ranking of a song in the total. But we do not really know the context. We do not know why a song is at a certain position. It's the total of unknown subjective randomness. We do not know what someone thinks about a song. There's is no individual aspect to be deduced.

If one person votes "the relative way", e.g. gives a song a 2 because the song is in the top half of his lowest 20 percent (or whatever subjective own other method is used) of all Dickinson songs, but still this person tolerates it, and stamps it as "unsufficient", or "weak"..
And another person does it "the absolute way", e.g. has the same feelings about the song, but gives it a 4 or 5...
Then what do we know? With the first person we cannot see from the grade how he likes the song. At most, we could try to see a position in someone's ranking, although we do not really know it, because we do not know how the distribution of grades is done (e.g. the following is possible if we pretend Dickinson has 80 songs and an even distribution of grades is desired: 8x10, 8x9, 8x8, 8x7, 8x6, 8x5, 8x4, 8x3, 8x2, 8x1, but there are dozens of other possibilities).
We can see it from the 2nd person (if some known system is used). But what is such a mix worth? Not much either.

So in the end, when everybody uses absolute -generally known- definitions for grades: This way, we both can value the individual appreciation, and the total.

Best for who? For you? Don't try to impose your personal opinion and point of view on others, Foro. Diesel himself (and this is his "game") said we should be voting relative to Dickinson's own back catalog, not relative to all music. In that way, yes, your least favorite Bruce song should be getting a 1. Because you're comparing Bruce to Bruce.
What a reasoning. I can also compare Bruce to Bruce without giving a 1. Is this true @Diesel 11 ? Do we need to listen to this and have to give 1's?

And number 6: Diesel did not say "we should be voting relative to Dickinson's own back catalog, not relative to all music."

Even if he did mean that, I still have the right to explain what I find wrong with that system. I have explained the negative aspects of it. This is a forum and people can have and voice different opinions.

Last edited:
I can also compare Bruce to Bruce without giving a 1.
No, you can't, because then there would be no point in having a 1-10 scale. Let's say the minimum score you'll ever give is 6. Then why not make it a 1-5 scale? It doesn't make any sense. The numbers are there for we to use them however we like. I choose to look at it in "the relative way", you choose to look at it in "the absolute way". That's fine. Just don't come picking on us because we disagree. Honestly, I don't know if you meant to sound like it, but every time you try to discuss about something it's like you're trying to sound superior and uselessly intelectual. I apologize if I got the wrong end of the stick, but that's the impression I get.

As for the rest of you arguments, yes, I did pay attention to them, and I still don't agree. Removing the "best" word doesn't change what I think, it's still making you sound intolerant. You think the criteria a person chooses to use to vote on a specific poll defines what they do and don't like, or how much they like something. I think it doesn't, so what? It's not a fact that "the right way is the absolute way" like you're trying to imply with your arguments. No one needs to (and no one should) change their point of view to adapt to what you think it's "easier" and "less confusing".

I did happen to give a 1 rating to "Dracula" and I think "Lickin' The Gun", because both are terrible. I see the point you're making, but the good news is that for relative rankings it doesn't really matter that much what absolute scale people use, as long as the ratings relative to each other are valid.

For example, if someone else's ratings were all between 5 and 8 because they're comparing these songs to every musical piece created by humankind, the collective ratings will still sort themselves out, since their 5s would line up with my 1-3's, and their 8s would line up with my 8-10's. It might skew the shared average, and it'll reduce the fidelity of this other person's input, but the relative effect for each song is going to be similar. If the output is a relative ranking, then the final average score won't matter. If you wanted to use this same data to compare against a different data set for Maiden albums or something like that, then it would be a problem, but that's not what this is.

Where you really risk throwing things off is if people rated each album in a vacuum, where the best song on every album got a 10/10 even if one album's best song was nowhere near as good as another album's best song. Since the intent of the data is to rank across all of Bruce's albums, that would ruin the input.

Back