Bruce Dickinson

June will be a great month! The new Evergrey album and a week later Bruce live. :D
How is this the first I heard about their next album? I really need to update how I keep track of metal news lol

Falling From The Sun sounds awesome and I love that the production seems a bit less over-produced. The last three or so records sounded great, but they also sounded rather same-y after a while and the vocals in particular were almost produced like pop vocals at points. Really looking forward to the rest of the album!

It would be cool if instead of that they arranged some kind of instrumental medley of Bruce's tracks with additional solos etc.
That would have been equally bad for me. I want the full songs. Frankenstein is a weird, too long and kind of fun cover. I even prefer only Guitar Solos or Drum Solo instead.

Bruce can easily make 3 whole different setlists.
I think Darkside is there due to crowd participation. Oh oh oh's.
Darkside Of Aquarius is one of my favorite live songs especially because of its second half. Perfect for a main set closer.

I'm not thrilled about the cover taking up 7-8 minutes of the set, but if it's a matter of Bruce getting a necessary break, I'm fine with it as an "intermission"... It would be cool if instead of that they arranged some kind of instrumental medley of Bruce's tracks with additional solos etc.

This idea would be cool, however I personally would enjoy an extended Shoot All The Clowns, with a long instrumental bit in the middle so Bruce could rest. This would be somewhat similar to the 12” Extended Remix.

B E A D G B E is 7 string standard (what Naslund is using on the V).

B E A D G B is baritone standard (what Chris is playing on Ragnarok and TCW and what H's Dean was tuned to on 1998/1999 tour).

On the tours for AoB and TCW both Adrian and Roy played the Drop A songs (such as King In Crimson and Trumpets of Jericho) on guitars tuned to Drop D then further detuned with pedals. Source: I asked Roy Z on Twitter years ago and that's what he said. Presumably in studio they had guitars set up for Drop A.

By having a guitar tuned to E standard and a guitar tuned to Drop D they were able to play the entire setlist of Scream For Me Brazil, kicking on the detuning pedal when playing KIC and TOJ on their Drop D guitars (Adrian's Jackson King V and a Les Paul for Roy).

For the song Freak, which is in Drop C, there's no info on equipment.

The Chemical Wedding (the song) is played in E Standard on the album and doesn't require detuning at any time - I haven't looked at the new live footage to see whether or not either of the players is doing the song in something other than EADGBE for added "heaviness".

These are the tunings used on Bruce's solo material as far as studio recordings go, to my knowledge:

• EADGBE - E Standard
  • CGCFAD - Drop C
  • DADGBE - Drop D
  • AEADF#B - Drop A (Drop D guitar w/detuning pedal)
  • BEADF#B - B Standard (6 string baritone)
It is unknown whether or not a 7 string in B standard (BEADGBE) was used on any new material in the studio recording sessions.

Thanks for the info! That makes sense. Also typically a baritone is tuned B E A D F# B. Tuning F# up to G wouldn’t be standard tuning, so B E A D F# B makes more sense as well.

On the tours for AoB and TCW both Adrian and Roy played the Drop A songs (such as King In Crimson and Trumpets of Jericho) on guitars tuned to Drop D then further detuned with pedals. Source: I asked Roy Z on Twitter years ago and that's what he said. Presumably in studio they had

The Chemical Wedding (the song) is played in E Standard on the album and doesn't require detuning at any time - I haven't looked at the new live footage to see whether or not either of the players is doing the song in something other than EADGBE for added "heaviness".
Ragnarok is baritone. Confirmed by Roy.

Also, Roy had the natural 3 pickup Les Paul Custom tuned to baritone on Chemical Wedding tour and played multiple songs with it (Gates Of Urizen is another and AFAIK, he did Trumpets and King In Crimson with it too).

Adrian played those 3 songs in drop D, but had the Dean Baby ML tuned to Baritone for Chemical Wedding. So, Chemical wedding is baritone, for sure.

If you look closely during the solo, you can see wound G on both guitars, which indicates that they are both tuned to baritone.

Further proof here: if you watch what chords H plays at the end of the solo, it pretty much confirms, that the guitar is tuned to baritone. At the very end he plays the F bar-chord, but the chord in the song is C and then moves to the open E shape and the chord in the song is B. So, the tuning is baritone 100%. You can also see the wound G on Guru's guitar.

Here is the King In Crimson footage. If you pay close attention during the solo, you can again see that Roy is playing a wound G string on the LP Custom. Also, if you pay attention on how both Roy and Eddie fret the main riff, it's pretty clear they are both in drop A. Adrian meanwhile, is using drop D tuning probably with an octave pedal.

Last edited:
Thanks for the info! That makes sense. Also typically a baritone is tuned B E A D F# B. Tuning F# up to G wouldn’t be standard tuning, so B E A D F# B makes more sense as well.
Yup. I forgot that the 3rd also changes on baritone. And makes sense now, because I was trying to learn TCW solo and it's much harder on standard tuned guitar.

Ragnarok is baritone. Confirmed by Roy.

Also, Roy had the natural 3 pickup Les Paul Custom tuned to baritone on Chemical Wedding tour and played multiple songs with it (Gates Of Urizen is another and AFAIK, he did Trumpets and King In Crimson with it too).

Adrian played those 3 songs in drop D, but had the Dean Baby ML tuned to Baritone for Chemical Wedding. So, Chemical wedding is baritone, for sure.

If you look closely during the solo, you can see wound G on both guitars, which indicates that they are both tuned to baritone.

Further proof here: if you watch what chords H plays at the end of the solo, it pretty much confirms, that the guitar is tuned to baritone. At the very end he plays the F bar-chord, but the chord in the song is C and then moves to the open E shape and the chord in the song is B. So, the tuning is baritone 100%. You can also see the wound G on Guru's guitar.

Here is the King In Crimson footage. If you pay close attention during the solo, you can again see that Roy is playing a wound G string on the LP Custom. Also, if you pay attention on how both Roy and Eddie fret the main riff, it's pretty clear they are both in drop A. Adrian meanwhile, is using drop D tuning probably with an octave pedal.
Very cool, thanks for the run down!

All the years I've been playing The Chemical Wedding I've never used anything other than E Standard, playing inverted power chords for the intro riff and what not. Thank you again for the info!

I just tabbed out the verse section of TCW on Baritone 6 string and it works out super nice! Here are the 4 bars

1. E G B E
  2. E B A# G
  3. C E F# C
  4. G F# E C
The B and F# are open strings that ring out.

Last edited:
True, but also Maiden has a different backdrop/stage set/lighting plan for each song in the set. Bruce is playing on a bare stage with no pomp.
That's a really poor excuse in 2024. Lots of big bands and artists have more malleable setlists and still have professional lighting and video packages to accommodate the changes.

I think they're just stuck in their ways at this point.

I just don’t see the point in complaining about it when Maiden has followed a pretty rigid formula for their setlists since the 80s. I could understand if it were Dream Theater and people were wanting them to go back to a system that was used before, but you might as well also ask Maiden to play to a click track that lines up with video screens and a lighting show. It’s just not what they do.

I just don’t see the point in complaining about it when Maiden has followed a pretty rigid formula for their setlists since the 80s. I could understand if it were Dream Theater and people were wanting them to go back to a system that was used before, but you might as well also ask Maiden to play to a click track that lines up with video screens and a lighting show. It’s just not what they do.
I would take Maiden playing the same set list every night to them rotating the set list with a click track. I hate the concept with a passion.

Maiden haven’t rotated songs really ever. 2010 is one occasion that I can think of. I don’t know why people complain about it anymore.

The permanent setlist is great for fans. You are sure that you will hear and see what you want. The problem with changing setlists is that someone will always be hurt and not everyone has the time/money/opportunity to attend two concerts to hear something they want. If Maiden played Infinite Dreams at one concert and Empire of the Clouds or Brighter than a thousand suns at another - I don't know how I would feel about it.

That's a really poor excuse in 2024. Lots of big bands and artists have more malleable setlists and still have professional lighting and video packages to accommodate the changes.
And how many of these bands have painted backdrops and the other props? None. The thing is, Maiden never do that. They have a good (I'd say) rigid concept with their set. I just wish they changed songs between legs more often. That's it. With Bruce is different, I really like the rotation. I always felt he likes that. Let's see how often it lasts.

Btw, where is the big screen for the stage that Bruce said he will use? 3 shows and nothing. It will make everything so cool and add the comic theme to it if you will. But not with moving artworks.

Btw, where is the big screen for the stage that Bruce said he will use?
Where did he say he was using a screen? The last thing I read he was going on about how this would be a return to the ‘70s style of stage production, stripped-down and all about the music.

Btw, where is the big screen for the stage that Bruce said he will use? 3 shows and nothing. It will make everything so cool and add the comic theme to it if you will. But not with moving artworks.

He might have meant this screen:

Given how crowded the stage looks, he probably would need some help to get from one side to the other.

Back