Bruce Dickinson

Really don’t know why people do this as the official release is just a few days away. Learn some patience and stop feeding the pirates.
I've still got the chastity belt on with two days to go!

Everyone bangs on about streaming killing music but piracy has done way more to kill record sales over a much longer time than streaming services.
Sure, but if people have already pre-ordered the album, or are certain they're going to buy it anyway, and they just want an early listen, then it's a victimless crime in those cases.

So most people chatting about individual songs and how they are listening to the album have all downloaded an illegal leak as surely we don’t have that many so called ‘journalists’ who have secured a review copy.

Really don’t know why people do this as the official release is just a few days away. Learn some patience and stop feeding the pirates.

Everyone bangs on about streaming killing music but piracy has done way more to kill record sales over a much longer time than streaming services.

oscars-standing-ovation.gif

Hear, hear!

Last edited:
My general issue with the album isn't that it's different; I live for different music. My issue is that it feels like a glorified demo instead of a high-quality commercial release by one of my favorite vocalists and an otherwise fantastic songwriter.
I agree. Especially, knowing it was so long in the making. Huh...

Sure, but if people have already pre-ordered the album, or are certain they're going to buy it anyway, and they just want an early listen, then it's a victimless crime in those cases.
It’s not a victimless crime as it still encourages the pirates or sneaky leakers to carry on doing their thing which will always mean that a selection of fans will choose not to buy or even legitimately stream an album.

If there were no illegal downloads then no chance anyone could listen without at least a legal stream or a purchase. I know that’s fantasy as the world we live in today there will always be some complete knob Jockey who thinks they're entitled to listen to music free or some greedy git who makes some money out of illegally pirating.

A review by Dom Lawson, a longtime Maiden fan who even got to write the text for the A Matter of Life and Death tour programme whilst working for Metal Hammer and Classic Rock. It was easy to spot it was from him: unnecessary swearing, hyperbolic statements, brown-nosing… I am really surprised he did not give the album an 11/10!
i like dom lawson but i understand. btw he is actually this kid here in this famous video from somewhere tour (this video may have different meanings now after we've seen jimmy savile doc on netflix: / ) :

as surely we don’t have that many so called ‘journalists’ who have secured a review copy.
I'm a real journalist, with 19 years of experience, from 2005 to now, via three successive and different employers. If I count all the reviews I've made by having legal copies of CD or EPK, I'm at about 800 reviews and legal albums. That’s an average of 42 columns per year. I've got a legal EPK of 'The Mandrake Project' and I won't let anyone say or written that I downloaded the album illegally, because I have proof that I obtained it legally via my contact from the French society for the promotion of artists and BMG. And yeah, I'm really a journalist, sorry to disappoint you about that, no need to put this word in quotes when talking about me. ;)

Otherwise, I agree with you. It's better to wait and buy directly the copy from the retailer, because you keep the magic of the moment when you remove the blister, open the case, look at the cover + the booklet and put the CD in the player. That's the best moment, when you are finally free from an endless wait after all these months. :)

So most people chatting about individual songs and how they are listening to the album have all downloaded an illegal leak as surely we don’t have that many so called ‘journalists’ who have secured a review copy.

Nice strawman you got there, need any more hay? I've preordered the album and it'll hopefully arrive by friday.

If anything, the last 5 years have shown us that tomorrow is not guaranteed for any of us. Life is incredibly fragile and I'd rather listen to the leak and then buy the album when it actually releases, because who knows if I'll be even there next week.

You are free to do whatever you want and whatever you like, but maybe come down from your high horse because that's a ludicrous take.

I'm a real journalist, with 19 years of experience, from 2005 to now, via three successive and different employers. If I count all the reviews I've made by having legal copies of CD or EPK, I'm at about 800 reviews and legal albums. That’s an average of 42 columns per year. I've got a legal EPK of 'The Mandrake Project' and I won't let anyone say or written that I downloaded the album illegally, because I have proof that I obtained it legally via my contact from the French society for the promotion of artists and BMG. And yeah, I'm really a journalist, sorry to disappoint you about that, no need to put this word in quotes when talking about me. ;)

Otherwise, I agree with you. It's better to wait and buy directly the copy from the retailer, because you keep the magic of the moment when you remove the blister, open the case, look at the cover + the booklet and put the CD in the player. That's the best moment, when you are finally free from an endless wait after all these months. :)
AncientMariner_Essex was basically talking about anyone except you :p

Also, I remembered on the topic of leaks: Bruce himself had said back in 2005 that he was fine with bootlegs and recordings as long as people would buy the album afterwards. Leaks are a bit different in that regard, but at the end of the day the distinction is meaningless.

Heavy disagree on that. There are plenty of musicians and composers who are unrelated to metal who are important to people and arguably important to the zeitgeist. Or are we going to ignore essentially the entirety of classical music, for example?

On the other hand, plenty of metal bands that have huge groups of people hating them (whether they deserve it or not is a different question) like Five Finger Death Punch, Avenged Sevenfold or Slipknot.

Also, it's especially ironic to say that about Taylor freaking Swift, who has a fanbase that is notorious for being obsessed and overly loyal. Not only that, her current Eras tour is the highest-grossing concert tour of all time, so saying that no one would notice her disappearing is beyond delusional.

I love metal, but the unnecessary elitism is its worst aspect and I hate how stubborn and narrow minded many metal fans can be. There's a ton of amazing music out there folks, just listen to whatever the hell you enjoy. No need to engage in stupid tribalism ;)

Back