Bruce Dickinson

Was messaging a little with Philip after I saw he was the new touring guitarist, as he's a relative of mine. Mostly just congratulated him on getting the job, he obviously couldn't or didn't wanna say to too much, but I was jokingly nudging him to include Book Of Thel in the set, and he said he would try ;)

I was honestly surprised Roy was on the touring lineup to begin with. I forget why specifically he didn't tour Chemical and got that weird Guru guy, but I vaaaaaguely remember Bruce mentioning in press (in the Chemical era) that Roy doesn't like touring all that much, and would rather stick around, record, and produce. Not sure what made him pull the trigger on leaving the tour this late in the day, but the press release mentioning the remixes makes sense, and if the above statement about him not liking to tour is accurate, he probably didn't need much of a push. Maybe he saw it was going to be more work than he'd previously thought, a deadline he was iffy about hitting...who knows.

Back in 1998, the reason that was given for Roy Z missing the tour was that there were some family matters he had to dealt with (sick parents, if I remember correctly).

Reading the press release again and this line makes me think there might be something up with Roy preventing him from touring/playing, maybe health related - "this project is too important to everyone to not be the very best it can be."

Is it important why Roy won’t be on the road? He is not and if they didn’t tell us why not they don’t want us to know.

I don't agree. People were presented with a picture and an announcement of the band members and then bought tickets. They deserve a serious explanation why they don't get what was promised, like in any other business.

Didn't Roy say in one of the interviews that he had some issues while recording? Something with his arm IIRC, so maybe the whole thing is health related.
It was in his Metal Hammer Germany interview: He broke his finger and was in a lot of pain. But I don't see why they wouldn't publish this reason now because he already mentioned it in the interview and therefore obviously doesn't consider it too personal.
Everybody would unterstand. Now there is wild speculation.

It's disappointing when he's pretty much one half of this act, but I don't think anyone actually deserves a fuller explanation than the one we've already had, Roy's personal commitments.

It'll probably surface at some point anyway. I'd rather not speculate about it being about things like people's wives not getting along.

As much as I love music, I still see the music industry as a business like other businesses, with contracts, products, prices etc....

... things like people's wives not getting along.
Therefore this wouldn't be acceptable at all imo. We are also not allowed to not show up at work because we don't get along with the new colleague... It shouldn't matter in a professional environment.

Back