Bruce Dickinson

Well, the "chance for a real great cover in the booklet" was a long shot that felt a bit like hopium.
I guess Bruce continues the tradition of having rather unappealing (to me) visual designs for his albums.

And before him, the chosen one was Ronnie James Dio. ;)

It’s funny how Bruce has changed that story since 2000, reinventing the past. The idea for the project was Rod Smallwood’s and Ronnie James Dio was never considered as an option (at the time Rod managed all three singers supposed to take part in the project: Bruce, Rob, and Geoff).

It’s funny how Bruce has changed that story since 2000, reinventing the past. The idea for the project was Rod Smallwood’s and Ronnie James Dio was never considered as an option (at the time Rod managed all three singers supposed to take part in the project: Bruce, Rob, and Geoff).
"Dickinson previously talked about the aborted THE THREE TREMORS project during the question-and-answer portion of his March 2022 spoken-word show at the Orpheum Theatre in Los Angeles, California. At the time, he said: "We were gonna do this thing with three metal singers — myself, Ronnie James Dio and Rob Halford. However, for reasons that [didn't make much sense] — managerial bullshit or whatever — there was some opposition, not from me, to having Ronnie there, which I thought was crazy. So the suggestion was that we would have Geoff Tate instead."

"Dickinson previously talked about the aborted THE THREE TREMORS project during the question-and-answer portion of his March 2022 spoken-word show at the Orpheum Theatre in Los Angeles, California. At the time, he said: "We were gonna do this thing with three metal singers — myself, Ronnie James Dio and Rob Halford. However, for reasons that [didn't make much sense] — managerial bullshit or whatever — there was some opposition, not from me, to having Ronnie there, which I thought was crazy. So the suggestion was that we would have Geoff Tate instead."

I am aware of how Bruce has been telling the story since 2017. Funnily enough, the original version is quite different and what Bruce says he wanted does not necessarily agree with what Rod had in mind. ;)

I am aware of how Bruce has been telling the story since 2017. Funnily enough, the original version is quite different and what Bruce says he wanted does not necessarily agree with what Rod had in mind. ;)
Rod and Bruce have two different personalities which are nevertheless complementary when it comes to business. But Bruce still remains an artist who has a lot of ideas and creativity. Some of his ideas seems good to Rod and some not. This is what I call the natural selection of success. To achieve fame and wealth, sometimes you have to make sacrifices, like not choosing Ronnie as your triad companion in The Three Tremor project. It's this kind of mistake that makes others steal your ideas and make money off of them : as Sean Peck from Cage and Death Dealer did by appropriating the name and the concept. He did two records with his mates from Jag Panzer (Harry Conklin) and KK's Priest (Tim Owens). That's life. And I think Bruce and Rob Halford blame themselves today for not having seriously launched the project, whether with Ronnie or Geoff.

@GhostofCain's description matches Geoff Tate's version of events. @TheMercenary's reflects Bruce's.

I have a summary of all of this, with links, here.

@Jer The One You Love to Hate is not part of the set of songs written for the aborted Three Tremors project. It was a one-off collaboration between Bruce and Rob, with the lyrics inspired by the Maiden/Priest fans who turned their backs on both singers when they went solo.

I believe the genesis of the Three Tremors project was during the North American Brave New World tour, with Halford and Queensrÿche as support bands.

I imagine the meeting Bruce says made him realise the project was not going to work was probably on the date the three of them got on stage together in London to sing The One You Love to Hate at the Halford gig. Geoff Tate missed the soundcheck and that is the reason why the “live version (with fake audience)” of the song only features Bruce and Rob on Halford’s Studio Insurrection.

Last edited:
The One You Love to Hate is not part of the set of songs written for the aborted Three Tremors project. It was a one-off collaboration between Bruce and Rob, with the lyrics inspired by the Maiden/Priest fans who turned their backs on both singers when they went solo.
Interesting, I could have sworn I’d read back then that there were three songs written for The Three Tremors project, and that those two were two of them (and “Shadow Of The Gods” would presumably be the third), but I can’t find any references to it now, and in recent articles Bruce is saying only 2 of those songs were written. I’ll make a note of it.

EDIT: Wait, one of my linked articles in that post mentions it: “Dickinson previously said that he and Roy wrote ‘about three songs’ for THE THREE TREMORS during a session in Los Angeles before he ‘realized it was going to take us a lot longer than three weeks to write a project with three singers that would work.’”

Do you have any sources describing the background of the writing of TOYLTH?

Last edited:
Back