Bruce Dickinson

• Thread starter Thread starter Anonymous
  • Start date Start date
Tanya O'Callaghan will accompany you live on bass. How did she get involved?

Bruce had already played a few orchestral shows with her and they have good chemistry between them.
Funnily enough, Dave Moreno and I had met a couple of years ago during a jam session in Los Angeles and that went really well. For me
she's one of the best rock bass players around. That was my reaction when Bruce asked me for my opinion on Tanya as a possible
bassist: "In any case, damnit!"

The epic album closer 'Sonata (Immortal Beloved)' ends on a guitar note. You as a guitarist on a solo album by one of the greatest
rock and metal singers in the world have the last word tonally. Does that honor you?

It was indeed an honor to end the song as it is. That final solo was probably the most difficult thing I wrote and recorded for the album.
It took quite a long time until it sat right. It wasn't exactly conducive either, that a finger on my right hand was broken at the time
and I was in a lot of pain. But that's another story.
In the end, Bruce guided me through it like a coach until we were both happy.
I'm really proud of that moment.

Youare one of the few guitarists who have worked with both Bruce Dickinson and Rob Halford several times. How do these two
metal legends differ?

I can only say that it is a pure pleasure to work with Bruce and Rob. They are both unique and cut from the same rare and special cloth. They are also both masters of a musical universe that not many singers have been able to penetrate. I like the fact that they both have working class origins. That has helped me get on so well with them as a kind of "little brother". We've all had to work our asses off to get to where we are now!
FRANK THIESSIES

Bruce's response to a fan's question about Adrian and why he wasn't on the album (and tour).

''Adrian is in Maiden now and he hasn't written any new material. On the previous albums he's been on, he's only contributed solos''.

... ummm, you can't be serious, Bruce!

''I want to stop with the traditional two-guitar Heavy Metal formation. In fact, the type of show we will present will be more inspired by the 70s, not even the 80s or 90s. There won't be a big stage production. This tour is all about music, so let's play smaller venues averaging around 2,000 seats''.

^Not a nice way to put aside the whole (special) comic feel of the album. I hope the stage at least will has some decor - it will fit the big screen. We all know Bruce often gets things mixed up, but this response is very thoughtless.
Oh boy he's got his head so far up his ass it's going to be a nightmare to dig it out. Sure, Bruce, you're playing tiny venues because you want to, not because your pull as a solo artist is practically nonexistent. Sure, Adrian's not playing with you not because he didn't want to fill his calendar with gigs but because uhh he didn't write anything and uhh so uhh NEXT QUESTION PLEASE.

So, Bruce's will to release proper concept album (it was his idea around 2014) has been modified. Partly because his then intended title song landed on Iron Maiden album, partly, imo, because Bruce dived into creation of 12 books of comics. No question, It was a very big creative outlet for him. As a selfish music listener, I would have preferred that Bruce had more concentrated on music... He criticized 7th Son for half assed attempt and now he's doing this...
Songs that will belong to Necropolis versus Lazarus idea:

1. "Afterglow of Ragnarok" 5:45 +
2. "Many Doors to Hell" 4:48 most likely
3. "Rain on the Graves" 5:05
4. "Resurrection Men" 6:24 + definitely
5. "Fingers in the Wounds" 3:39 most likely
6. "Eternity Has Failed" 6:59 +
7. "Mistress of Mercy" 5:08 maybe?
8. "Face in the Mirror" 4:08
9. "Shadow of the Gods" 7:02 most likely
10. "Sonata (Immortal Beloved)" 9:51

I wonder if the concept story will reach a culmination/the end on this album (on Shadow of the Gods maybe) or all of this will be very abstract and vague. Overall, I don't like comics idea at all. In my eyes it robbed the album, unless Bruce already has a second album under his belt. In fact, hypothetical album would justify to some degree not so stellar singles. He simply divided the best songs between two albums and even recorded new ones as AOR. One can only guess.

Edit: like Kalata said, Bruce already had 17-20 songs...
Many doors to hell is about a vampiress who wants to die cause she’s done with immortality. So you might wanna cross that one out.

Resurrection men is about harvesting the soul & storing it in order to ensure immortality. While this does touch upon the comics, Bruce had said in an interview that the world would go crazy after something like this and would be willing to pay millions. So think this is more from a reality perspective.

It appears that I'm also in the minority(?) that really likes the new single!

It's not a mind-blowingly amazing song or anything like that in my book, but I found it very enjoyable and intriguing on it's own right. Afterglow of Ragnarok was a nice one too, but somehow I might even prefer this one. Then again, Afterglow of Ragnarok wasn't quite as strong game opener as I would've hoped (as much as I liked it anyway), so with that out of the way I also didn't hold any immense expectations for Rain on the Graves; I was just very excited and curious to see what we'll get and while I had a few "ehh?" moments with the first listen & watching the video, I was... Quite pleased with it.

I don't know, I've become probably a bit too positive and boring with my views (or lack of strong opinions, really :D) on these things. I have noticed that I tend to actively like, and find things to liken in, songs and albums as they are without too much emphasis on what I'd wish them to be.

That being said, I totally get why people find these two songs, or just the other, underwhelming and I even agree to most of the raised points; while I personally try to avoid the comparative approach with the previous (amazing) albums, I agree that these two, particularly Afterglow, aren't exactly top-drawer Roy & Bruce material, but then again, hearing them on a album context might change things. They might sit on the album just fine, but I hope they're not among the strongest songs for that matter.

Anyway, I find myself enjoying Rain on the Graves a lot! The mix sounded a bit muffled on the video, especially the end of the chorus, but when listening with a better sound system or headphones it appears that there's a somewhat clear panning from left to right on "let it wash your soul from dying..." part, where as when watching the video it just sounded like the vocal levels suddenly got just turned down a lot.

The other small complaint I have is that I've found the final chorus being slightly anticlimactic; nothing wrong with it per se, but I think the song has pretty good tension and build-up until the end of the final verse and then it just kind of fades out with slightly modified repeat of the chorus, where as I think they could've given it some more emphasis with different mixingn& arrangemental choices.

Then again, this is one of those things that might work on the album very well, depending on the songs Rain on the Graves sits in between! It also closes the Side A of the vinyl, so yeah, I suppose it works.
For a second I thought this entire comment of yours was another interview :D

Many doors to hell is about a vampiress who wants to die cause she’s done with immortality. So you might wanna cross that one out.

Resurrection men is about harvesting the soul & storing it in order to ensure immortality. While this does touch upon the comics, Bruce had said in an interview that the world would go crazy after something like this and would be willing to pay millions. So think this is more from a reality perspective.
Totally forgot about vampiress. :cheers: But Resurrection Men definitely falls into concept idea.

Oh boy he's got his head so far up his ass it's going to be a nightmare to dig it out. Sure, Bruce, you're playing tiny venues because you want to, not because your pull as a solo artist is practically nonexistent. Sure, Adrian's not playing with you not because he didn't want to fill his calendar with gigs but because uhh he didn't write anything and uhh so uhh NEXT QUESTION PLEASE.
Seems like an awful lot of judgment for such a benign statement.

Roy, with 'Eternity Has Failed' and the slightly longer and already longer known 'If Eternity Should Fail' for the first time in your collaboration with Bruce Dickinson a piece is available in a solo version and an Iron Maiden version ...

The demo for the solo album song 'Eternity Has Failed' goes back over ten years ago. Bruce had then played it to Steve Harris, and the two of them decided to make an independent Iron Maiden version from it. I don't know why it's longer, I wasn't involved.
There are differences to the original version in the title, lyrics, intro and outro as well as the solo section.

The possibility of direct comparison is nevertheless very interesting. Was and is it a challenge for you as a guitarist
in Bruce's solo band to find an approach that differs from the Iron Maiden guitar style and at the same time reflects your own
musical personality?

I grew up as an Iron Maiden fan, my first live show was a concert on "The Number Of The Beast" tour in 1982.
I have always admired Iron Maiden for the fact that every guitarist in the band has their own characteristic sound and style. In this respect, I wouldn't call it a challenge, because I also have my very own style.
I have many influences, but then from 1990 I made a conscious decision to do my own thing.
When I work together with Bruce, I make use of certain sound and style tools, that I wouldn't use in any other collaboration.

Youhave been working with Bruce since "BALLS TO PICASSO" which was released in 1994. So you've known
each other for over 30 years. To what extent have your working process and you rcreative communication
changed?

"BALLS TO PICASSO" was a total experiment that definitely produced some instant classics like 'Tears Of The Dragon'.
Musically we were completely blinker-free back then. When we got together again in 1996 for "ACCIDENT OF BIRTH", we concentrated more on our own sound, which has continued to develop ever since.
"THE MANDRAKE PROJECT" is an amalgam of everything we've done together so far. But there are also small adventures on it.

You are a multi-instrumentalist and this is the first time you also play the bass on a Bruce Dickinson solo album. How did that come about?

There's no particular reason for it. When we were writing songs for the album and recording the first demos, Bruce liked my bass playing. I had made the conscious decision not to use a plectrum but to play everything with my fingers. I love playing bass! For other artists I often do this as a session musician. When I have the time I like jamming to Paul McCartney, John Entwistle, Geezer Butler and John Paul Jones.
It's kind of my hobby these days.

Apart from the bass, the backing band (also live) is the same as on "TYRANNY OF SOULS":
Dave Moreno is on drums, and maestro Mistheria plays the keyboards ...

This constellation has simply proven itself. Bruce and I enjoy working with these two, who are masters of their craft. In addition, since "TYRANNY OF SOULS" a natural vibe has developed and we have become real friends and brothers.
Thanks for the translation.

I'm glad to hear that there are some differences in IESF's intro and outro.

''When I work together with Bruce, I make use of certain sound and style tools, that I wouldn't use in any other collaboration'' - that's great.

''THE MANDRAKE PROJECT" is an amalgam of everything we've done together so far. But there are also small adventures on it'' - good to hear the first part of that statement. The second part is needed for an artist.
The epic album closer 'Sonata (Immortal Beloved)' ends on a guitar note. You as a guitarist on a solo album by one of the greatest
rock and metal singers in the world have the last word tonally. Does that honor you?

It was indeed an honor to end the song as it is. That final solo was probably the most difficult thing I wrote and recorded for the album.
It took quite a long time until it sat right. It wasn't exactly conducive either, that a finger on my right hand was broken at the time
and I was in a lot of pain. But that's another story.
In the end, Bruce guided me through it like a coach until we were both happy.
I'm really proud of that moment.
Maybe a fade-out outro for Sonata? I hope it's a longer solo. It should be methinks, since Roy is really proud. Cool.

That doesn't sound like a fade-out. Would be impossible to have "the last note of the record" if it faded out. I take the statement at face value and think the song ends with the final note of the solo, just like he says. A bit like Tyranny Of Souls (the song) ending with Bruce's long descending note.

That doesn't sound like a fade-out. Would be impossible to have "the last note of the record" if it faded out. I take the statement at face value and think the song ends with the final note of the solo, just like he says. A bit like Tyranny Of Souls (the song) ending with Bruce's long descending note.
It reminds me of the fade-out on "The Alchemist".

Coming after a few listens, I will say, both the songs released so far have a different feel. While Afterglow Of Ragnarok has more of an epic vibe to it, Rain On The Graves definitely got that Deep Purple/Blue Oyster Cult influences (only being subtle instead of all over the place) and I found the the melodic leads in it as really being the highlight, specially the solo section which even sufficed for Ragnarok (had a brief solo). Surely good-enough and entertaining but I'm hoping that we haven't listened to the best song on the album yet!

Last edited:
Honestly, I first thought you were joking.
The first single did nothing for me, and I found the second one mediocre and even embarrassing. The problem is that I have come to like some of his albums and thought this one was going to be fantastic. He oversales it, and I really doubt he has put so much work into these songs.
I'm very glad to hear that Harris is not the only one to blame for Maiden's tendency to repeat choruses.

I wholeheartedly agree! As you know, I am a huge fan of Bruce’s solo career and have been since the early 90s, but so far his latest effort looks like it is going to be a turd.

Last edited:
Whatever said and done, I think I’m gonna miss those space-like keyboard sounds which were found on Chemical & Tyranny. Man they gave an amazing feel to Bruce’s music. Very fantastical.
This. Always.
So why did he compose/record songs that don't correspond to this idea?
Well, it seems that could be the path (only) for his solo music now. I mean, no melodies or harmonies (so far), although there is some studio magic for 2 guitars. He says this for the first time. It makes the long songs on the album more curious, but the statement is not accurate because you will always need rhythm guitar live; the keys can't replace it or?
but I'm hoping that we haven't listened to the best song on the album yet!
but so far his latest effort looks like it is going to be a turd.
and I found the second one... and even embarrassing.
Wow, strong words. I mean, I'm not a big fan of Rain, but it's not trash. I still think this time Bruce did like Maiden - not to release some of the best songs on the album as singles. Rain made an impression because it's different, but from the interviews the favorite songs are others. I think so too. It's obvious that Bruce wrote the songs the way he wanted to, not because he couldn't make them better or more interesting.

Back