Bruce Dickinson

Ok ,I m just gonna go and say it....Skunkworks is my favorite Bruce's album.There is no need to touch or improve anything on it
Hell yeah! It's my favorite as well. It features Bruce in fantastic shape at the start of his golden age. The performances of all musicians are immaculate and the album is full of amazing melodies. The production is great as well and the atmosphere created during the second half of Strange Death In Paradise is magical.

Skunkworks is plenty heavy already. It's not a metal record and given the sound of Afterglow Of Ragnarok I can't see Roy improving the mix.
This is pretty much my thoughts too. For the kind of record it is, the sound is pretty much exactly what the doctor ordered. Clean, bright (maybe a little too bright) but also heavy enough when the songs or riffs call for it.

If Roy's gonna sit down with that and go "hmm, maybe let's get some drum samples going here, EQ those guitars to make them tinny as hell" which unfortunately is the first thing that comes to mind after hearing Ragnarok then I really don't see the point.

Interesting gear related detail at around 23:12. Sounds like Roy could have used some kind of Chemical Wedding tone profiles. It doesn't sound as good from what we've heard, but interesting nonetheless. I'm curious if they went the digital route overall.

Guitars on Afterglow sounded super digital to me, wasn't a huge fan of that. I don't think digital is bad and we've gotten to an uncanny valley point in the tech, but I felt like all the instruments on Afterglow had a very artificial sound.

Hmmmm. That was interesting. It felt like a Ghost song and video.

Not too keen on the song. Reminds me of something off Balls to Picasso.
In some strange way, to me this song is a step back to Bruce's early solo era. It's more hard rock than modern heavy metal. Overall still nowhere near TCW. And yeah, it's Ghost+Ozzy (those laughs)

I’m going out on a limb here that BÖC in this context doesn’t mean Blue Öyster Cult, right?
of course… and modern copies like Ghost for example… I liked them long time ago when they had a name Ghost BC gor legal issues… not interesting for me today… but SKUNKWORKS works for me all the time… and its pretty heavy & hard music with dark introspective lyrics

Last edited:
Fun video with a knowing, tongue-in-cheek vibe. Bruce sounds way better on this than on Ragnarok. Song itself is a little plodding and the verses are too corny for me.

Back