Bruce Dickinson

So three last songs are slow.
The only other Bruce album that ends with slow songs is AOB. It's a unique ending, but not what I'd prefer. I think TMP's last 3 songs will definitely be stronger than 2 of AOB's last 3 songs. He seems to like putting some of the more emotional stuff at the end of the albums.

The album is increasingly sounding like a hodgepodge in general. So if I have the timeline right, there’s the original album (to be titled If Eternity Should Fail) which was a concept album that sprung into a comic book. The Mandrake Project includes some of those songs plus some new ones that are unrelated because “the comic tells the story and the music doesn’t need to be a slave to the concept.” Also material that predates 2014.

Honestly it kinda reminds me of Seventh Son meets Balls to Picasso in terms of how the album came together. One is a concept album where the concept was famously abandoned on several songs and the other is an album that went through several versions before it became what it is. Reading some of these interviews has made me raise an eyebrow or two, but then again I love both Seventh Son and BTP.
Bruce said they have a good amount of demos, so I guess that will always be the case. Seventh Son and BTP is a fair comparison.

Reading the interviews, I was really surprised that Bruce played solos and parts on the album. Why? Is Roy not that interested? Let's hope it's good, I mean Bruce writes melodies and riffs.

Speaking of interviews, the Sweden Rock 13-page one should be out this week. I hope we can find it and translate it.
As long as the songs are good, I can overlook a mish mashed half cooked concept.
This. I like when an album has different themes anyway.
I've lowered my expectations accordingly...
I do not.

As long as the songs are good, I can overlook a mish mashed half cooked concept.
me too. there are many half cooked concept albums that are classics. like seventh son. and concept albums are not zeitgeist anyway, people's attention span is very short (like bruce) these days, they don't even reads the lyrics. art is not what it was decade ago. when you go to a picture gallery, and there is a huge, very clear title, but then you see irrelevant pieces there...

if there is a story that motivated the artist, that's good for the artist and the listener's imagination. a hardcore oldschool concept thing is very hard and can limit the artist.

Reading the interviews, I was really surprised that Bruce played solos and parts on the album. Why? Is Roy not that interested? Let's hope it's good, I mean Bruce writes melodies and riffs.
There's nothing to indicate that's the case. Apparently it's mostly for fun and authenticity. Bruce was playing something, Roy liked it and wanted it to be on the album. As simple as that. It's not going to be anything spectacular or impressive, but it's a neat idea anyway.

Reactions: Yax
I hope the track is good or at least worth the excitement & hype. Been missing Arry a bit after watching the trailer for Rain. It sounded a bit like what Rob Halford/Judas Priest would play.

P.S. I HOPE I AM WRONG

There's nothing to indicate that's the case. Apparently it's mostly for fun and authenticity. Bruce was playing something, Roy liked it and wanted it to be on the album. As simple as that. It's not going to be anything spectacular or impressive, but it's a neat idea anyway.
Of course, but it was unthinkable (and not needed, with a guitarist like Roy) for Bruce to play guitar on his solo albums before. Or Roy adding a demo played by Bruce as a intro to a song, polished or not. And Bruce joked about IESF's intro on the Maiden album...
I hope the track is good or at least worth the excitement & hype.
I'm excited and glad for every new material and hype. I believe it will be good. Bruce chose it as a single so it should have a catchy chorus and hopefully the instrumental part (short or not that short?) will deliver this time for its 5 minutes.

Back