Accident of Birth
Ragnarok ?
Chemical Wedding ?
Gates of Urizen ?
?
Navigate the Seas of Sun
Resurrection Man ?
Gods of War
I think the missing song is Many Doors To Hell. The surprises are: Gates Of Urizen (a song with a fairly long Adrian solo, who will play it?) and especially Gods Of War (I like it, but the chorus is too shouty for live performance). I really hope adds Man Of Sorrows(!) and a song or two more from TOS.
Btw, almost all the songs in the list are mid-tempo. And that's half of a setlist. Bruce??

Maybe the setlist will be more than 15 songs and only 3 new songs? Bruce said that since there wouldn't be a big stage production like Maiden, he could change songs (basically confirmed what I suspected as to why Maiden didn't change songs during a leg of a tour).

The interview from the Q&A event (no Q&A recording though).
bruce 2.jpg bruce.jpg tmp.jpg

- He likes that he can do different stuff with Roy - like Resurrection Men (the interviewer's fave song). Roy kept his playing on the album without his knowledge and Bruce said he would never play solos on his solo albums again. Good decision.
- Face In The Mirror - will have piano parts.

In other news: he and Roy will be remixing Skunkworks and Balls To Picasso next month with his new album mix. They rediscover more guitar parts that were not on the final mix of the latter and Roy might add a more modern and heavy touch/playing. Bruce: ''They way the original album was really meant to sound''. I think it will improve the songs because the original production is not that good (mainly the drum sound).

And some Maiden stuff:

Maiden don't do demos(?).
He and Adrian think of a similar way of writing songs.
According to him, there are 4 songwriters in the band! He's lucky Dave is always happy lol.
He thinks it's cool that everything they do is always Maidenized.

Oof, I'm fine with BTP being remixed, but Skunkworks has such a unique identity and sound. I really hope Roy doesn't butcher it.

That's not surprising. They don't pre-write songs anymore. They just go into the studio with a few ideas and then assemble the songs there. Adrian is the only one who might have something worked out before (like the intro to The Final Frontier).

That explains why these two keep collaborating. Steve and Janick are also quite compatible in their approaches.

According to him, there are 4 songwriters in the band! He's lucky Dave is always happy lol.
Kinda right. Nicko isn't really a songwriter and Dave doesn't contribute that much either. Songs he has co-written tend to be great (though his last few contributions have consistently been some of the weakest tracks on their respective albums imo). At the end of the day Steve, Adrian, Bruce and Janick contribute the most.

The interview from the Q&A event (no Q&A recording though).

- He likes that he can do different stuff with Roy - like Resurrection Men (the interviewer's fave song). Roy kept his playing on the album without his knowledge and Bruce said he would never play solos on his solo albums again. Good decision.
- Face In The Mirror - will have piano parts.

In other news: he and Roy will be remixing Skunkworks and Balls To Picasso next month with his new album mix. They rediscover more guitar parts that were not on the final mix of the latter and Roy might add a more modern and heavy touch/playing. Bruce: ''They way the original album was really meant to sound''. I think it will improve the songs because the original production is not that good (mainly the drum sound).

And some Maiden stuff:

He thinks it's cool that everything they do is always Maidenized.
I totally agree with him on the drum sound on BTP. Just didn’t sound that great. Skunkworks was an improvement but I wouldn’t touch the vocals production on that album. That album marks the transition of Bruce’s voice from how he sounded young to how he sounds now.

Also curious to see if by remixing these albums, he’s also implying re-releasing them.

As far as Maiden is concerned, I think Dave was an active contributor on the first two reunion albums & he co-wrote some amazing songs. Would love to see him write something as strong on their next album.

As there is no physical release I doubt we will hear it before it's out on the youtube.
True but they always somehow leak. Same happened with Stratego even though it leaked just an hour before the actual release. Screw up is I won’t be awake if that happens again & curiosity really gets to me.

Agreed. Skunkworks is hard to improve upon. It sounds top notch.

Exactly. I am not sure what is the point in re-mixing Balls to Picasso either. It sounds exactly like Bruce wanted it to sound in 1994. Him saying that it should have sounded heavier only started much later!

I am not sure what is the point in re-mixing Balls to Picasso either. It sounds exactly like Bruce wanted it to sound in 1994.
It seems like Bruce didn’t have any idea what he wanted to sound like in 1994, given the two aborted album attempts before settling on BTP and how different those songs all sounded.

I’m curious to hear a remixed, beefed up BTP. It might be way better.

I have more trepidation about Skunkworks, since it has a very particular sound, but I’m willing to try an alternate version. The original is a bit tinny. And if the remix sucks, I still have the original, so I’m not losing anything in the process.

It seems like Bruce didn’t have any idea what he wanted to sound like in 1994, given the two aborted album attempts before settling on BTP and how different those songs all sounded.

I’m curious to hear a remixed, beefed up BTP. It might be way better.

I have more trepidation about Skunkworks, since it has a very particular sound, but I’m willing to try an alternate version. The original is a bit tinny. And if the remix sucks, I still have the original, so I’m not losing anything in the process.

How about the money spent on your copies of those remixed albums?

How about the money spent on your copies of those remixed albums?
I could always try before I buy, but I don’t mind supporting the cause either. I bought 4 of Mustaine’s remixed Megadeth albums and only thought 2 and a half of them were actual improvements in the end. As long as the remixes aren’t garbage they’ll at least be interesting alternates, like the Alive In Studio A stuff.

I'm fine with BTP being remixed, but Skunkworks has such a unique identity and sound. I really hope Roy doesn't butcher it.
I'm curious to hear some songs on Skunkworks heavier, but the charm of the album is in the unique sound too. The whole production is very good, especially the vocals. I also like the drums and guitar sound a lot.

Balls To Picasso has a not that bad rough sound, but needs improvement. With the new album mix, it will sound more powerful, which is cool. The solos sound is fine. The mix won't be perfect (especially vocals mix, as we've heard), but it's a nice idea to try. Since Roy might add some new ''old'' guitar parts to the songs, I think the albums will be re-released. Maybe with some new old stuff as a bonus, if they found (there are 2 unreleased songs from that era, iirc). Now that would be good and curious to hear.

The original is a bit tinny. And if the remix sucks, I still have the original, so I’m not losing anything in the process.
It's funny how difficult it is to discuss sonics, because there is so much subjectivity in regards to what constitues tinny and other colorful adjectives aimed at describing sound (sure, there are a few almost universally agreed upon words, like "boxy" = excess of circa 500 hz). What one defines as tinny, the other would choose a different word for; I myself would for example not describe Skunkworks as tinny, but neither am I sure what adjectives to apply either. The bottom end is quite prevalent and even, and the upper mids/lower treble area isn't harsh, but pleasant. It's a lovely sounding 90's record.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2024-01-24 at 16.54.38.jpg
    Screen Shot 2024-01-24 at 16.54.38.jpg
    83.6 KB · Views: 15
Back