-New song-
Book Of Thel
The Tower
Abduction
Accident Of Birth
Soul Intruders or Bring your daughter to the slaughter
The Road To Hell

Last edited:
↑ Fail, You forgot to add The Alchemist, a song in a league of its own.

Last edited:
Listening to some solo songs, I have to say that Ragnarok's instrumental ''section''/mainly Roy's solo is no worse than the one for Freak or Starchildren. Both need melodic passages (especially the latter), and Adrian's touch.

I really hope the new album won't have other such short instrumental passages. I expect some interesting stuff from Roy in this regard, acoustic and riffs too.

The Alchemist is brilliant. The reprise at the end makes me want to listen to the whole album again.

It's funny with song titles being the same between Maiden and solo projects, to the point I hear one song and wonder which I prefer, like:

The Alchemist (Dickinson) vs. The Alchemist (Maiden)
Bring Your Daughter...to the Slaughter (Dickinson) vs. Bring Your Daughter...to the Slaughter (Maiden)
Wicker Man (Dickinson) vs. Wicker Man (Maiden)
Man of Sorrows (Dickinson) vs. Man of Sorrows (Maiden)
Speed of Light (Blaze Bayley) vs. Speed of Light (Maiden)

or bend it a little more...

No Lies (Dickinson) vs. No More Lies (Maiden)

Am I missing any?
BYDTTS is essentialy the same song, so I wouldn't really count that one. Though, by the same idea, come the release of The Mandrake Project we might get to compare If Eternity Should Fail to Eternity Has Failed.

That said except Wicker Man (and BYDTTS I suppose) I prefer the Bruce (and Blaze :D) versions for all of them. Never got into Bruce's Wicker Man and it is one of the few songs from that era that I don't really like.

Guess I'm selling two tickets for Bruce Dickinson show. No Skunkworks = No Spambot.

Sell it for 10x more money when Bruce passes away.

I have to weigh in on this a bit.

If we're saying that the book is poorly written compared to other autobiographies - yes (and there is a reason for that, but I'll come to that later).

If we're saying that the book is poorly written considering his writing abilities then - also probably yes, but there are a lot of other factors to be considered. First, Bruce really hasn't written a lot. If we're considering lyrics, that could be counted as poetry. Poetry and prose are worlds apart, and even within prose, there are genres that don't guarantee that if you excel in one area, you'll also nail another. Hell, even within the same genre, some authors have problems when they're encountered with a different approach for the same work (ask any author who has just written his novel to write a query for it, and he'll probably tell you to fu** off). The less we say about Lord Iffy Boatrace - the better.

I don't think Bruce had any idea how to approach his autobiography except to just sit down and start writing (and it shows). I can't remember how much was redacted from the original manuscript (at least a third of it, if I remember right), but it shows that Bruce was primarily going for content instead of style. How he delivered that content on paper is exactly how I expected him to do it. Disjointed, uneven, sometimes too obscure, sometimes too detailed. The final product (the way the book was published) made me feel like I sat across Bruce in a pub, and he shared interesting anecdotes from his life over a pint of beer - and I loved that approach. It really felt genuine—a story told in the way he wanted it to be told. And that brings me to my second point.

A huge chuck of autobiographies is written by ghostwriters. Once you discover that, it doesn't take long to notice how some people who don't use more than 20 of the same words per day after 50–60 years suddenly pull out several stylistic figures. I'm not saying it's not possible or that it hasn't happened. But if it happened so often, maybe those same people should think of changing careers or maybe starting earlier with their "talent". I'm not a super fanboy, but from what I've heard and read from him in the past 20 years: Bruce's autobiography was Bruce's, from the first paragraph to the last one, no doubt about it. That's what makes it wobbly in quality. There was an editorial intervention (as it should be AFTER it was written!) but it was his style, his words and more importantly - his idea (which I cannot say about Adrian's book).

In the end, it all depends on where you "come from" before you read this book. People who are much more into music than books rated it well (and I agree with Mosh's point about his writing style). People who were more into books than music didn't rate that well, although I'm surprised that a big part of the criticism was aimed at the content instead of the style.
It was almost a stream of consciousness/after dinner ramble, really. Very Bruce approach, though, all being said.

Meanwhile I finally heard the demo version IESF. I have to say I'd love to have heard a fully fleshed out Mandrake Project version. It's clearly raw, but I'm sure there'd be more to it, if not as embellished as the Maiden version. It's a different beast at the original pace, more ominous, and the speed is ideal for Bruce's vocal style.

I just found it on a Google search but it´s from this site, I really like these kind of artworks!
Very cool site and artworks. Thanks!
Yeah, Bruce definitely must make a call to this artist

BYDTTS is essentialy the same song, so I wouldn't really count that one. Though, by the same idea, come the release of The Mandrake Project we might get to compare If Eternity Should Fail to Eternity Has Failed.
True about BYDTTS. They're the same essentially, but Bruce's original is a little weirder sounding sonically, mainly with the lower secondary vocals over the chorus. But yep, the two Eternity songs would definitely fit in this competition.

I was wondering the same thing. It looks like those come out roughly monthly, in the middle of the month, so it seems like it’s already past due…
I asked him two questions, let's see if at least one gets answered.
1.: Why did it take you 18 long years to release another solo album?
2.: Has Steve Harris listened to your new album yet, and what was his reaction?

Btw, do you all know what will probably remain one of life's greatest mysteries at all to me? Ticket prices for Bruno's spoken word tour generally and in common were higher (partly even much higher) than they are for his upcoming solo shows.

The second guitarist would have blown the budget. Well, let's see how that works out...

I would also be curious if there was a deal with Veruga GmbH for the Rockharz Festival in the sense that he'll make this the only festival show in Germany and in return we show you as co-headliner with Judas Priest...

Back