Bruce Dickinson

The demo makes it clear how insanely important Nicko is to Maiden. They can never, ever record another album if he isn't the drummer. He is possibly the biggest part of Maiden's signature sound.
I remember when the premiere for The Writing On The Wall was happening. I watched the thing live and had set up everything to watch it on a big tv. I was curious when the guitars started, but as soon as the drums kicked in I had a huge grin on my face, turned to my girlfriend and told her "This is finally new Maiden". Nicko is irreplaceable.

The demo makes it clear how insanely important Nicko is to Maiden. They can never, ever record another album if he isn't the drummer. He is possibly the biggest part of Maiden's signature sound.
The rhythm section as a whole. I enjoyed Roy Z's take on the bass since it was different but you really can't beat that Harris/McBrain groove they seem to naturally have when they play together. It's a rock solid foundation to layer guitars and vocals on.

But yeah. Even if the demo drums were programmed and it's an unfair comparison, Nicko completely transforms IESF. Honestly I'm glad Steve nicked that one, they made a fantastic tune out of it and I honestly doubt now that the Bruce solo version would've been better. Less muddy production, maybe. But the drums would've for sure been worse both on the performance and production side of things.

Not sure about the song, I've only listened once, will need to listen to it more. The video was a real distraction. I'll never watch it again. What was Bruce doing in it? He looked really bizzare. I find it disappointing he has decided to go with a concept album. But I expect he has lots of monetisation ideas around it.

I laughed out loud at "I'll never watch it again", but that's exactly how I feel. To be honest I might watch it again at some point just to laugh a bit more. But yes, the song is good and it's what really matters.

just watched the video. Gotta say it aren’t too bad. Far better than videos he’d done previously. The song takes multiple listens but the chorus sticks to you. Might probably binge on it the full day to understand it better. All in all, a pretty decent track. Can’t wait to hear what the albums gonna sound like.

100% agreed, man. Nicko is a beast.

Edit. I am actually listening to IESF from TBOS now so I can erase the demo version from my memory. Thank you, Nicko.

Last edited:
Okay not gonna deny but Bruce’s expressions and hand gestures did make me laugh a little. Yes he is a little cheesy in this video especially the part where he throws the coin at the mirror. And I’m guessing the entire theme is the end of the world and hence Ragnarok. More like Hell on Earth Part 2 but with a dark twist.

I need a few more listens but i like the song! Bruce is singing great!

At the sime time didnt like the mix, sounds too muffled to me.
That was my first thought too, like "why is Bruce lower in the mix than the guitars on his own solo album?"

As for the song...pretty great, honestly. Nothing mindblowing, but very solid and looking forward to the full album. As for the video...a bit cheesy and low-rent on the VFX, but it's all right. Doesn't really hook me on the whole Mandrake Project story concept with the comic tie-ins, but eh...probably something I'd read through once or twice.

Didn't really watch the video, but was more intent on listening to the song. Not sure how I feel about it. Felt disjointed in I'd dig one part of the pre-chorus/chorus, then the next part I wouldn't, then dig the next part. Didn't care for the verses much. Great riff though.

Might grow on me.

Did a Remix, tell me if it sounds better to you

Much better. Those cymbals lowered in this remix make miracles; the very last Bruce high register pre chorus is a bit annoying, but, all the high parts before got cleaner and they don't get boosted by the cymbals frequencies, turning it into a double annoyance.

Thanks for that.

The production sounds so muffled. Decent song with a great chorus. 6/10 for me. The video was terrible. I hope there are better songs on the album.

I wish maiden/Bruce had the production quality of the new Judas Priest songs. Both Panic attack and Trial by fire sounds so good

Back