Bruce Dickinson

• Thread starter Thread starter Anonymous
  • Start date Start date
I thought Bruce sounded excellent this tour. Not running around everywhere which allowed him to focus more on his singing certainly helped with that.
Yes.
"Mother of Mercy" is very telling in this regard. Everything was going very, very well... and then the chorus came. :( That's the problem when the writer(s) don't pay enough attention to the singer's voice
Well, yeah. In Kevin's diary, he said that Bruce didn't really get the particular vocal melody that Steve had for the song. He needed more takes. And Kevin suggested a lower vocal line for ''Isle Of Avalon'', which Bruce tried, so they/Steve should have worked a bit more on Mercy's chorus (which is fitting to be high).

Yes.

Well, yeah. In Kevin's diary, he said that Bruce didn't really get the particular vocal melody that Steve had for the song. He needed more takes. And Kevin suggested a lower vocal line for ''Isle Of Avalon'', which Bruce tried, so they/Steve should have worked a bit more on Mercy's chorus (which is fitting to be high).
His hip its fucked again i saw the video in Dublin and during CSIT he walks and make a short jump while "running" like IGGY POP who we all know he has a leg shorter than the other.

Let's take a look at the Vaenyr Dictionary:
"Sounding great" - phrase
Definition:
1. The sound quality of a clearly talented vocalist who strains to reach pitches well outside of their comfortable range.
2. The production of British Heavy Metal band Iron Maiden's 10th album The X Factor.

Examples: "Bruce sounds great in the "Mother Of Mercy" chorus."

Yeah, checks out. Bruce sounds great on MOM's chorus :D

Last edited:
I was searching in the forum for old posts about the song ''Nightmares'' - and found this curious answer from Bruce (around the release of TBOS album).

''This is not a concept album. Take the first song, IESF. That was completely written for a solo album of mine. I had 5 demos that were of interest to Steve and 2 from those could have been used for Maiden and one was IESF. The other song came from the Accident of Birth sessions. It was called "Nightmares" and was never recorded for the album. That one, however, was co-written by Roy Z so it could not be used for The Book of Souls. IESF is entirely my piece though and it's about a foreign machine that steals souls of men. The evil man in the tale is Dr. Necropolis and the good Professor Lazarus. They are in the spoken words near the end. Steve wanted the song for Maiden and I agreed but he wanted it to be longer. So I wrote an extra verse. It's the only song done in drop D''.

So Steve liked 5 songs! I hope Bruce will use all of them for the new album (or at least ''Nightmares'').
''Nightmares'' was written during AOB sessions but it was never recorded. Strange, if it is a strong song.

Also, it seems that the original version of ''If Eternity Should Fail'' had one less verse, but Steve wanted it to be longer. Good decision. I thought the chorus repeats could have been shorter in the original version.

I was searching in the forum for old posts about the song ''Nightmares'' - and found this curious answer from Bruce (around the release of TBOS album).

''This is not a concept album. Take the first song, IESF. That was completely written for a solo album of mine. I had 5 demos that were of interest to Steve and 2 from those could have been used for Maiden and one was IESF. The other song came from the Accident of Birth sessions. It was called "Nightmares" and was never recorded for the album. That one, however, was co-written by Roy Z so it could not be used for The Book of Souls. IESF is entirely my piece though and it's about a foreign machine that steals souls of men. The evil man in the tale is Dr. Necropolis and the good Professor Lazarus. They are in the spoken words near the end. Steve wanted the song for Maiden and I agreed but he wanted it to be longer. So I wrote an extra verse. It's the only song done in drop D''.

So Steve liked 5 songs! I hope Bruce will use all of them for the new album (or at least ''Nightmares'').
''Nightmares'' was written during AOB sessions but it was never recorded. Strange, if it is a strong song.

Also, it seems that the original version of ''If Eternity Should Fail'' had one less verse, but Steve wanted it to be longer. Good decision. I thought the chorus repeats could have been shorter in the original version.
From purely musical standpoint, I have a feeling that the harmony guitar part in the middle was what was added. The part in E sounds very atypical for Bruce solo songs.

Has he replaced both hip cap balls? You usually have to do the second somewhere down the line.

The guy is obviously talented, but I think someone else did that!

Joking aside, I seem to remember him mentioning having both hips replaced.

From purely musical standpoint, I have a feeling that the harmony guitar part in the middle was what was added. The part in E sounds very atypical for Bruce solo songs.
It's possible, it sounds typical of Maiden. Bruce said the original version of the song is not that different though.
Being the original title track for the album probably implies having a melody/harmony in the (short?) instrumental section (even with only 1 guitar). Omega, Power Of The Sun and Aquarius have similar harmonies.

Back