Bruce Dickinson

Side notes? Fully on topic, Cain. :)

Two side notes! Oops, that happens when you type at the interval of a Waterboys concert. :lol:

But all this positivity must have been ages ago. Now, making fun of it suits him better. You'd almost think he'd like it if people would not dare to talk positively about this band anymore. If a good interviewer would speak with Bruce about Samson, he could ask if he doesn't think they made some good music despite the chaos. Or if it wasn't a vital experience for his singing.

Well, in his autobiography he gives credit to Tony Platt and Shock Tactics to help him find his real voice. That is certainly acknowledging the relevance of his time with Samson for his singing if you ask me. It would be nice if someone could do an in-depth interview with Bruce about Samson's music (similar to what Henrik and Mattias from The Bruce Dickinson Wellbeing Network did). That BBC Radio 2 show certainly wasn't the place for that though (it is not a music show).

I have two very different Samson albums and they are still important to me. Can't believe that Paul Samson wanted to be like ZZ Top. Even if he wanted it, the cocktail they brought out was rather unique to be honest. The bass player had a good role in it. Saying he just was there must hurt the people who knew him. I don't like it either. Listen to his playing, these bass lines really matter in the music.

I own copies of all the Samson albums with Bruce and quite like them, Shock Tactics above them all. Some nice stuff there.

Anyway, I think you are taking Bruce's comments out of context, as that was just an interview in a show that has nothing to do with music and the original question was about the chaotic time with Samson. Bruce is the first one to laugh at himself in a self-deprecating manner when discussing the strange cocktail of influences that Samson were, mentioning that he wanted to be in Deep Purple. I bet Bruce is aware of the importance of Chris Aylmer's contribution in Samson. His death is mentioned in Bruce's autobiography (as is Steve Gadd's), so it is not like he was some sort of stranger with whom he worked a long time ago.

Last edited:
Bruce has been quite quiet so far this year. Apart from a few book promos and interviews, there was nothing. And we know that he is usually up to something, so I believe that Bruce's solo album was being tracked earlier this year.

I hope Bruce new studio album to be released 'till the end of the year. :)

Maiden's tour finishes August and from then on he has a lot of time to finish it !

If there are enough people interested, I wouldn't mind doing something similar like I did with Maiden's non album tracks. In the past there have been Bruce Dickinson survivors, but they haven't been as satisfactory in listing this forum's favorite Bruce songs. Hence why I'd like to take the discography, create some polls for all his songs and then allow people to rate them to create a definitive listing.

This would be including all his material from his albums, including the stuff released as bonus tracks and on his "Best of" album. Are there any interested parties who would take part or is this but another dream dead in the dust faster than the Empire of the Clouds?

The ranking of Bruce's solo albums/songs created by @Diesel 11 made me think how good songs Bruce has released as bonus tracks to the albums. (+ the 2 songs that were released on the Bruce ''Best Of'' album)

If we combine some of them, then that makes a very strong album:

Broken
2.The Breeding House
3.Winds of Change
4.The Ghost of Cain
5.Silver Wings
6.Return of the King
7.Eternal
8.Armchair Hero
9.Real World
10.Wicker Man

These are some of the best solos songs of Bruce imo.

Last edited:
The ranking of Bruce's solo albums/songs created by @Diesel 11 made me think how good songs Bruce has released as bonus tracks to the albums. (+ the 2 songs that were released on the Bruce ''Best Of'' album)

If we combine some of them, then that makes a very strong album:
Broken
2. The Breeding House
3. Winds of Change
4. The Ghost of Cain
5. Silver Wings
6. Return of the King
7. Eternal

These are some of the Bruce best solo songs... :cool:
Add "Firechild", "Armchair Hero" and "Rescue Day" and you've got a very good 10-song record. :)

By the way, I think I haven't seen "Spirit Of Joy" in any list.

Back