Bruce Dickinson

Bit of a slide in terms of audience sizes, that's for sure. Even the Cathouse, that's a crazy small place to have seen him. That would have been pretty cool.
(Can't find anything online with the capacity of G2.)
The Wee Venue guide has it:

Main Hall – 700
G2 -350
The Attic – 200

The Cathouse's capacity is 330. I've been there once to see Hammerfall and wasn't a fan of the venue. The Garage is awesome though, and the location of my first ever gig.

You're welcome Cried.

I wonder how much tickets for Bruce Dickinson solo show would cost nowadays. Probably more than a Myles Kennedy ticket.

I would say this to Bruce

ShutUpAndTakeMyMoney.jpg

Looking at setlist.fm he was playing in some pretty insignificant venues in the UK - including the small room in the Glasgow Garage!

He did play at Nottingham Rock City a few times and the venue is not insignificant by any means.

For The Chemical Wedding tour, the size of the venues ranged from ~300 (Glasgow G2, the smallest venue) to ~2000 (Nottingham Rock City), with most in the 700-1000 range.

Last edited:
They did. In 1996, if I remember correctly.

Yes, the reason it stuck in my head was they played Dublin the night after (or maybe two nights after) and Adrian Smiths band had opened for them in Nottingham, whereas we only got Dirty Deeds

Apparently the show was live and Bruce was indeed at BBC Radio 2 on Wednesday. :)
I read this today and I tend to agree:
I never quite understood Bruce' seeming disdain of his Samson years. I've heard him mention that he thought the rest of the band were more interested in having a good time than putting in the work to get bigger and that there were management problems - everything that could go wrong did go wrong sorta thing but even if those things were true or it was a case of different personalities clashing or whatever, I've never heard him talk about it with any real fondness. I don't know, I wasn't there, maybe he was miserable being in the band or whatever but you would at least think he might add a little "but you know, we did make some good music together" or "I'm grateful I had those years in Samson to perfect my craft and be in a band highly regarded in the NWOBHM scene" or something. Maybe he saw being in Samson purely as a career move and didn't like the band or music but still... maybe show a tiny bit more gratitude and respect for your fellow muso's and their work that many, many people enjoyed/enjoy.

I Agree too. Many NWOBHM bands like Demon or Samson were as good as Maiden. The big difference was Rod, Derek and Martin. In other words very good luck.
The big difference was Steve Harris. But I agree, many bands had albums with the same quality as the first Maiden album. Filth Hounds of Hades, Time Tells no Lies etc.

All those bands were not on par with Maiden or Saxon, regardless of the dodgy management they might have suffered (unlike Maiden).

On a side note, I have heard Bruce talk in a positive sense of Samson's music several times. On a side note, he gave a heartfelt tribute to Paul Samson after his death on his BBC 6 Music Rock Show, mentioning how instrumental he had been on his (Bruce's) career.

Wasn't he also open to playing gigs with them in late 90s?

On a side note, I have heard Bruce talk in a positive sense of Samson's music several times. On a side note, he gave a heartfelt tribute to Paul Samson after his death on his BBC 6 Music Rock Show, mentioning how instrumental he had been on his (Bruce's) career.
Side notes? Fully on topic, Cain. :)
But all this positivity must have been ages ago. Now, making fun of it suits him better. You'd almost think he'd like it if people would not dare to talk positively about this band anymore. If a good interviewer would speak with Bruce about Samson, he could ask if he doesn't think they made some good music despite the chaos. Or if it wasn't a vital experience for his singing.

I have two very different Samson albums and they are still important to me. Can't believe that Paul Samson wanted to be like ZZ Top. Even if he wanted it, the cocktail they brought out was rather unique to be honest. The bass player had a good role in it. Saying he just was there must hurt the people who knew him. I don't like it either. Listen to his playing, these bass lines really matter in the music.

Last edited:
Back