Bruce Dickinson

Discussion in 'Solo/Side Project Discussion' started by Anonymous, Mar 13, 2006.

1. Black Bart

Black Bart Ancient Mariner

2. GhostofCain

GhostofCain Ancient Mariner

There is plenty of Skunkworks and Balls to Picasso material featured in the documentary, including footage from the Sarajevo gig.

The soundtrack works beautifully, with the songs chosen matching the mood of the film, with very poignant lyrics. You can check it here https://www.eagle-vision.tv/Brand/820/scream-for-me-sarajevo ;)

Last edited: Mar 12, 2018
    jazz from hell and Black Bart like this.
  3. matic22

matic22 H is shorter for God.

If you ask him to put Stranger In A Strange Land into LOTB setlist, I'll give you a cookie.

:p

4. Black Wizard

Black Wizard Out of the Silent Planet

I might go to the screening in Maidenhead, which would be an appropriate location.

5. GhostofCain

Is that because you will be losing your cherry? :lol:

Perun and Black Wizard like this.
  6. Night Prowler

Night Prowler CriedWhenBarlowLeft Staff Member

7. Ariana

Ariana Black-and-white leopard

You mean I can actually watch it online? :huh: But that's great!

8. GhostofCain

I am not sure if it is the whole thing, as the video available online is 1 hour and 17 minutes long. I went to the London premiere in September and as far as I can remember the whole thing was longer...

IMDB has it as 1 hour and 35 minutes long:

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt6481232/?ref_=ttrel_rel_tt

The Eagle Vision website mentions 1 x 90' and 1 x 75'; the latter might be the shorter version on their website.

9. jazz from hell

jazz from hell Ancient Mariner

Thank you! I‘ve never seen Bruce like on some of these scenes before... Respect.

10. GhostofCain

My pleasure! The film is really moving.

11. jazz from hell

jazz from hell Ancient Mariner

Also, it was nice to see the Skunkworks guys again...
    What‘s Alex Dickson doing these days?

12. GhostofCain

I think he is (or was) with GUN.

As far as I know, he could not travel to Sarajevo as a result of other commitments and that is why he does not feature in the documentary. I have also been told he is pretty shy, so perhaps he did not want to feature in the documentary.

13. Black Abyss Babe

Black Abyss Babe Ocean soul

jazz from hell likes this.
  14. stjerky

stjerky Nomad

I must check this out. Saw the band in 1994 and I like it the best incarnation of Bruce solo bands (if it can be called a solo band).

15. MrKnickerbocker

MrKnickerbocker clap hands

I just finished What Does This Button Do? The whole Afterward talks about how he made a conscious effort to not include any family details into the book, but honestly, I would have far preferred a little insight into Bruce's home life as opposed to another damn story about what elevation his various planes were at when they deployed the fucking wing flaps. All of the Maiden stuff is great, as is the childhood stuff, even the fencing stuff I found super interesting. His battle with cancer was also really empowering.

But, I mean seriously, if you have time to tell a story about faecal impaction, you could probably talk about how you influenced your kids in music and how touring, cancer, etc. affects your home life. I understand not wanting to share your personal side in a book...but isn't that kind of what autobiographies are for?

16. Diesel 11

Diesel 11 As you scream into the web of silence...

I would've liked to have heard about that too, but with or without it, it's still one of my favorite books ever.

17. LooseCannon

LooseCannon Yorktown-class aircraft carrier Staff Member

Read more books.

18. Diesel 11

Diesel 11 As you scream into the web of silence...

Most people tell me I should read less books.

19. Mosh

Mosh The years just pass like trains Staff Member

It’s interesting how much of the Maiden ethos is in that book. Fans often blame Steve for the unpolished and unfinished production style of the Maiden albums, but What Does This Button Do was pretty much that in book form and Steve had nothing to do with it.

I thought it was strange how much was made out of it being a first draft without a ghostwriter. It definitely reads like a first draft, I’m not sure what Bruce was trying to prove other than that he too isn’t above needing an editor. I enjoyed reading most of the stories but it was not a well written book by any means.

LooseCannon and harrisdevot like this.
  20. LooseCannon

LooseCannon Yorktown-class aircraft carrier Staff Member

It was interesting, but as far as autobiographies, it pales in comparisons to the greats in the genre (Personal Memoirs of Ulysses S. Grant, I Know Why the Caged Bird Sings, Out of Africa are three of my favourites), and certainly doesn't get to the ranks of good.

harrisdevot likes this.