Bruce Dickinson

Like all works done outside of the subject's main profession, it should have had more outside help. Should've been written by Bruce, re-written by another writer with experience in the genre (who could also interview Bruce further and turn those interviews into prose).
Bruce didn't learn to become an Olympic-class fencer by picking up a sword and thrusting around on his own, nor did he learn to be a pilot by just wandering into an airplane one day. He should have looked at writing the same way.

Like all works done outside of the subject's main profession, it should have had more outside help. Should've been written by Bruce, re-written by another writer with experience in the genre (who could also interview Bruce further and turn those interviews into prose).

Based on this, his vocals in those first Samson and early Maiden albums should have been re-recorded by other people with more experience in the genre.

Bruce didn't learn to become an Olympic-class fencer by picking up a sword and thrusting around on his own, nor did he learn to be a pilot by just wandering into an airplane one day. He should have looked at writing the same way.

He never was an Olympic-class fencer, as he would be the first to point out. He was ranked 7th in the UK on a year when Olympic level fencers were not competing.

Anyway, it is not his first attempt at writing something. You could argue he started with lyrics nearly 40 years ago followed by two satirical novels. ;) By the way, the autobiography is a significant improvement over those novels.

Based on this, his vocals in those first Samson and early Maiden albums should have been re-recorded by other people with more experience in the genre.

Those are bands - he did have help from other people in the genre. This book would be the equivalent of Bruce recording Empire of the Clouds completely on his own, mixing it himself, and then someone else just mastered it and sent it to the public.

Those are bands - he did have help from other people in the genre. This book would be the equivalent of Bruce recording Empire of the Clouds completely on his own, mixing it himself, and then someone else just mastered it and sent it to the public.

No, you are underestimating the role of Jack Fogg and even Mary at Phantom Management.

Because he is no Dennis Wilcock. :lol:
Dennis Willcock isn't either.
But I agree with you. Bruce didn't help out a young and inexperienced Steve Harris, didn't convince him that the band should play more original material and less covers, didn't arrange gigs, didn't introduce the logo, and didn't bring Dave Murray to the band.

Says who?
You might just as well claim he's a pilot first and foremost, since flying had been taking up as large a part of his life as singing has in the past few years, if not bigger. Or you could say he's been a businessman first and foremost lately. Who could know how Bruce sees himself these days? It's entirely up to him. Saying you are disappointed after reading the book is one thing, but telling him what to write about is completely out of our reach. And rightfully so.
No one tells him what to write. But we all may have an opinion on which topics we like the most.

It indeed feels as if he does not see himself as a musician first and foremost. As a fan of the music he's involved him, I am naturally not that enthusiastic about that. If I'd like everything he does, I'd be busy with the person more, rather than with the stuff I am into.

On the other hand I realize he needs other stuff to get going. Variation motivates him. I see what drives him, I see what he likes and what he likes even more. So, I would not have minded if the man would get a bit deeper into the musical sides of his affairs. But I don't think he's able to, nor very interested in that.

Last edited:
Dennis Willcock isn't either.

Apologies for the spelling mistake; it seems to be a widespread one all over the internet (webzines, fan websites...). That being said, your comment should probably have read as follows:

Dennis Willcock isn't he either.

;)

But I agree with you. Bruce didn't help out a young and inexperienced Steve Harris, didn't convince him that the band should play more original material and less covers, didn't arrange gigs, didn't introduce the logo, and didn't bring Dave Murray to the band.

Nice to see he did so many things for Steve. Did he also lend him the album by Beckett? :lol:

Last edited:
Magnus should have said:
Dennis Willcock isn't he either.
he is no Dennis Wilcock.
Dennis Willcock isn't [Dennis Wilcock] either. See nothing wrong with this.
Alternatively, Dennis Willcock isn't him either.
Thank you for your response anyway.

Back