Bruce Dickinson

Yes, unless you're a really big name, you're so easy to replace if some detail gives rise to doubt or seems like a risk.

Roy Z was the man we have to thank for Bruce’s resurrection. I am not sure he will be that easy to replace if Bruce is so eager to bank on the Accident of Birth/The Chemical Wedding songs as he has been on the current tour.

That being said, Bruce can always play a setlist of non-Roy Z songs…

I think Roy believes some of his own hype. Especially the bit about them playing his songs. He writes good riffs, and he obviously knows all the paint-by-numbers approaches to metal, but I'm not sure if you've got a lot without Bruce's delivery, words and ideas. I think if Roy was to go out and write an album with someone other than Bruce or Halford, who's listening?

Plus, you have to ask questions about his producer's ear with the inclusion of Sonata on the album, that's the second big come back album, that was otherwise perfectly good, that he's ruined by including something obviously rubbish on it, after Loch Ness.

Reactions: jcv
It's really embarrassing what Roy's doing... He has issues and I feel bad for him, but it is also possible he’s just difficult to deal with on top of that. Either way I wish he found peace in this situation, because he’s clearly unhappy.

I think Bruce kicked Roy from the lineup after realising he may not be stable or capable enough. If that’s the case, on the one hand you have to understand Bruce, but on the other hand it’s easy to imagine it handled disastrously bad in terms of communication. We may never find out.

I wish they continued to work together, but Roy’s taking it pretty far with the comments. As great as the current band are as performers, I don't know if they are good enough writers for Bruce. Even past Roy’s prime they have great creative chemistry. IIRC Afterglow and Many Doors to Hell are the newest songs on the album and they are super solid.

We do not know if he is going through a hard time. What is pretty clear is that he is really pissed off with how he has been treated.
I'm a little surprised. I know Roy contributed greatly to Dickinson's music BUT his reluctance to play live is quite well known. So I don't quite understand - is he outraged that there is a band that plays live when he didn't want to? Or is he pissed off that they don't put buckets on their heads and announce before each song that it's a song written by Roy and what an honor it is to play in his place?

Maybe he wanted to play but something got in the way (health, money, etc.)

It's really embarrassing what Roy's doing... He has issues and I feel bad for him, but it is also possible he’s just difficult to deal with on top of that. Either way I wish he found peace in this situation, because he’s clearly unhappy.

I think Bruce kicked Roy from the lineup after realising he may not be stable or capable enough. If that’s the case, on the one hand you have to understand Bruce, but on the other hand it’s easy to imagine it handled disastrously bad in terms of communication. We may never find out.

I wish they continued to work together, but Roy’s taking it pretty far with the comments. As great as the current band are as performers, I don't know if they are good enough writers for Bruce. Even past Roy’s prime they have great creative chemistry. IIRC Afterglow and Many Doors to Hell are the newest songs on the album and they are super solid.

You also have to leave gracefully. This behavior only proves to the fans and Bruce that this decision was wise.

I remember clearly that someone posted a reply here that he got from Roy on Facebook about how his fans would soon understand everything.
So that's what Roy meant, that he would soon start spewing childish insults? :facepalm:

Reactions: Yax
I think Roy believes some of his own hype. Especially the bit about them playing his songs. He writes good riffs, and he obviously knows all the paint-by-numbers approaches to metal, but I'm not sure if you've got a lot without Bruce's delivery, words and ideas. I think if Roy was to go out and write an album with someone other than Bruce or Halford, who's listening?

Plus, you have to ask questions about his producer's ear with the inclusion of Sonata on the album, that's the second big come back album, that was otherwise perfectly good, that he's ruined by including something obviously rubbish on it, after Loch Ness.
And frankly there’s a lot of boring shit on the Halford albums too, the success ratio isn’t nearly as high there in comparison to the Bruce records.

But also there’s a lot of boring shit on Angel of Retribution and “Loch Ness” is easily the best song; and “Sonata” is pretty cool too even if it’s an oddity, so I don’t think I want you in the producer’s chair either lol.

I have a different take now than beginning. Because I noticed that the more the tour is celebrated, the more Roy's insults came.
Now I believe that Bruce had some conditions for the band members, e.g. no drinking, and Roy thought that he didn't have to let anyone set such conditions for him because the tour wouldn't be so iconic without him.
But now it is becoming more and more obvious otherwise...

But also there’s a lot of boring shit on Angel of Retribution and “Loch Ness” is easily the best song; and “Sonata” is pretty cool too even if it’s an oddity, so I don’t think I want you in the producer’s chair either lol.

I want him in the producer's chair. Sonata is boring and therefore such a weak last impession of the album.

Has anyone commented on the change on Accident of Birth? I am thinking about the added chorus before the solo section.

Personally I think it's not needed at all and doesn't add anything to the song.

But it doesn't make it worse either so..

Last edited:

When Bruce made AoB he was at a commercial low point. He was struggling to play small venues and his last two albums were basically a bust. Roy Z coming in pulled him out of a ditch. With that in mind, he probably got a little bit more say as a producer. Nowadays Roy Z needs Bruce a lot more than the other way around, so he probably can’t push back if Bruce has creative decisions that he doesn’t like. At the same time, several projects since CW does have me questioning Roy Z’s judgment as a producer and a player.

I don't believe that.
But if we say that's true, then Bruce was lying in his first interviews about the Mandrake Project when he said he was so close friends with Roy, like a brother. (He stopped talking about it in later interviews, by the way.) When someone that close behaves like this, you care.

And frankly there’s a lot of boring shit on the Halford albums too, the success ratio isn’t nearly as high there in comparison to the Bruce records.

Loch Ness is a song about the Loch Ness monster.

I don't believe that.
But if we say that's true, then Bruce was lying in his first interviews about the Mandrake Project when he said he was so close friends with Roy, like a brother. (He stopped talking about it in later interviews, by the way.) When someone that close behaves like this, you care.
Family bonds can be complicated and you can go through hard times with a brother as well ;)

Back