Bruce Dickinson

Fact 7: Bruce called Nicko just after he passed his flying exam to pick him up with a plane and fly back to Jersey after a drunken night, when he missed a train.

Fact 7: Bruce called Nicko just after he passed his flying exam to pick him up with a plane and fly back to Jersey after a drunken night, when he missed a train.

Bruce told the anecdote at a charity event some years ago, together with some other hilarious stuff. It should be somewhere in these videos (3 parts)

Part 1: Early driving experiences in the USA with Gary Bushell as a passenger.

Part 2: Bruce answers some questions from the audience and tells some anecdotes about getting his job as a pilot, doing some of the training with British Airways, and being asked for directions by a Maiden fan in Munich (and not being recognised) whilst wearing his pilot uniform.

Part 3: This is the bit that includes the anecdote of Nicko flying that plane to bring Bruce and his mate back to Jersey from France.

Last edited:
Hmm...good interview but lacking any substance, since there wasn't any Q&A, no new music related info.

Also Bruce is probably prohibited to say anything about the next tour or album plans by dark overlords A. Taylor and R. Smalwood.

You do realise that BBC Radio 5 does not necessarily cater for Maiden nerds like us, don't you? ;) :lol:

Well it was obvious that they'd be interviewing Bruce Dickinson, not "just" a frontman. One of his careers/jobs were for the BBC themselves. I thought somebody's gonna call in and ask something related to near future.

Ask him why they changed the logo back in the 90s. I did one time, on a Kerrang! magazine 'Readers Questions' thing with Bruce and Steve around 2000. He said "why do your teeth grow. Next question." Harsh, I thought. To be fair, I think Steve should have answered it, all things considered.

But West Ham have got an interesting manager at the moment and I was lucky enough to have dinner with him in Croatia before he was West Ham's manager and I found him extremely intelligent, which was unexpected. I found him a very fascinating conversationalist - we talked about management styles and man management.

Slaven Bilic, who's also a rocker/metalhead and had a few stints on the local band scene, mid 2000s, in between his footballer and manager careers. He sings and plays rhythm guitar. And he's not bad.

I can't talk about it because I'm not Nicko and it hasn't affected us personally in the band to be honest with you.

Well the old fart dropped some MDMA in his wine and the next thing we know he's all Jesus

Q : Are you ever going to level with us about the exact nature of your relationship with [Maiden member] Janick Gers? And no harm meant to you, as this is an age where the LGBTQ community worldwide needs to be represented by it’s true constituents, in all walks of life and in all countries.

A : re: Janick Gers – I agree with your statement, but unfortunately you're barking up the wrong tree with that.

What the actual fuck? Janick wears a rainbow coloured guitar strap and disapproves of tabooing sexuality, and now he's automatically gay? "Liberals" at their finest...

Sorry, I don't know what shipping stands for in this context. E.g. phrase unknown. Care to explain?

I think Bruce's reply to the frankly stupid question about his relationship with Janick was spot on (agreeing with LGBT community being represented and politely stating they are not part of that community).

Ship is internet slang for "fans wishing for/hoping for relationships between two persons and characters".

IE, if you are a person who wants, in Harry Potter, Harry to fall in love with Hermione, it is said that you "ship Harry and Hermione". Or perhaps another example would be to "ship Sam and Frodo."

Back