Bruce Dickinson

• Thread starter Thread starter Anonymous
  • Start date Start date
Idk, all of the reviews of the full album (the ones I've come across) say it's an amazing album. The praise in SJ's reviews were similar - and they were not wrong.

Really? Metal Hammer Germany had 3 very good reviews about "Senjutsu" (providing comprehensible reasons) and one less positive one. I don't remember such exaggerated enthusiasm.

There's a whole lot of hot-takes, vitriol, and hand-wringing in this thread for an album no one has heard yet. Afterglow is a good heavy tune in the same vein as something from The Chemical Wedding, and Graverain is its own thing, which is fine. As Bruce has yet to release a bad album, i'm optimistic of a good to great album.
The fool who persists in his folly will become wise! :ninja:

Some recent interviews if someone can find them:

1)the 13-page(!) Sweden Rock mag one (good luck accessing the site below... *if this is the full interview). It says that there is info for every song. :)

2)Roadie Crew mag

3)Metal Hammer UK:

bd,mhm,24.jpg

Idk, all of the reviews of the full album (the ones I've come across) say it's an amazing album. The praise in SJ's reviews were similar - and they were not wrong.

The hint of Scorpions is only in the intro. And I think Many Doors will be like Magician or Real World. About Sonata's chorus - well, the song is 10 minutes long, so the chorus is expected to be repeated quite a few times, probably more than the verses. I'm personally hoping for heavy use of melodic interludes/harmonies on this one. So far it seems like Bruce's approach to this album is heavy on chorus repetition. But this is not unusual for him.
That's the same interview and like I said, I already disagree with how ROTG and AOR were portrayed. That's, coupled with some really worrying statements in the interview itself (again, don't care about copying 70's bands in Bruce's new album) as well as Bruce's endless stories about Sonata (which has the potential to be an absolute clusterfuck in the most negative sense) I'm worried that after such a long time we'll get something that the majority didn't want.
As for the bolded: You say stuff like that sometimes, but we have absolutely no evidence or indication for such a thing. Just going by names isn't helpful in any way :P
And no, a 10 minute song is most definitely not expected to repeat its chorus a few times. Rime doesn't have a chorus, SSOASS uses it twice, Empire Of The Clouds doesn't have one either. And even if, this is not what I or the interview were talking about. It specifically said the chorus itself is very simple. That, to me, means that it's just going to be like ROTG (or TWOTW for another recent example) where most of the lines of the chorus are just repeated. Not the chorus itself, the lines within the chorus.

There's a whole lot of hot-takes, vitriol, and hand-wringing in this thread for an album no one has heard yet. Afterglow is a good heavy tune in the same vein as something from The Chemical Wedding, and Graverain is its own thing, which is fine. As Bruce has yet to release a bad album, i'm optimistic of a good to great album.
Vitriol? It's a forum. Discussing is all we can do. It's the entire point ;)
Furthermore, while AOR might be in the same vein as TCW for you, it most definitely isn't for me. And ROTG disappointed me greatly. We are here to share our opinions, not shower adoration at the altar of Bruce for sharing his magnificence with us.

Furthermore, while AOR might be in the same vein as TCW for you, it most definitely isn't for me. And ROTG disappointed me greatly. We are here to share our opinions, not shower adoration at the altar of Bruce for sharing his magnificence with us.

:notworthy: :notworthy: :notworthy: (I am not worshipping at your altar though).

Of course I am not claiming this is the case here, but all this makes me suddenly think of a friend who with his company had to post for a customer positive reviews and comments everywhere about a product.
That is a marketing strategy because you can ideed influence the public perception with something like this.

I thought: Why don't they spend the time and money on improving the product, hahah.

Some people here liked the new singles but there was also a lot of reasonable critism. That normally doesn't scream masterpiece album without fillers!!!!!

Of course I am not claiming this is the case here, but all this makes me suddenly think of a friend who with his company had to post for a customer positive reviews and comments everywhere about a product.
That is a marketing strategy because you can ideed influence the public perception with something like this.

I thought: Why don't they spend the time and money on improving the product, hahah.

Some people here liked the new singles but there was also a lot of reasonable critism. That normally doesn't scream masterpiece album without fillers!!!!!
There was also a lot of reasonable criticism for 7th son.

I have a crazy idea, guys. Now stay with me for a minute. I know this is waaaaayyy out there but....

Why don't we wait until the album is released and listen to it before we decide if it sucks or not?

Seriously though, I said before it's been so long some fans have built up expectations so high that just won't be met. I like the first two singles okay, but they didn't blow me away. I do think Bruce is sounding pretty damn good though. Hopefully the rest of the album will be up to most fans' liking.

View attachment 33690

People were asking for more variation with the lyrics in the chorus due to repetition, so how about changing at least one letter?

(Sorry I'm late to the meme party and showing really bad taste now)

So many missed opportunities there. Apparently, eating too many grapes can cause stomach pain and lead to weight gain!

1706558027808.jpeg

There is pain from the grapes
Pain, pain, pain

Gaining weight from the grapes
Gain, gain, gain

I don't think anyone has already decided that it sucks. In my case I'm just saying that AOR is okay, I didn't like ROTG at all with its solo being the only saving grace, so that doesn't quite fill me with hope. A good ol' case of trepidation and the interviews with Bruce don't help at all.

Edit: ^That explains the Grapes Of Wrath :D

1a1d3e_2f51d3d7f88442ccbdb57b53c2bafd8e~mv2[1].png
“Not that Bruce Dickinson has been inactive – which he can’t do, there’s to be said – but 19 years is really a lot to listen to a new album. Luckily, The Mandrake Project is exactly what fans expected, especially those who wanted the quality of its previous three records. With the same lineup as Tyranny of Souls (2005) - Roy Z (guilt and bass guitar), Maestro Mistheria (keys), Dave Moreno (drums) and Tanya O'Callaghan who will deal with the four strings on the tour - as well as with a collaboration together with Roy Z in the creative department, Dickinson gives light to a work that transcends music, as you can see from the interview in this issue. In addition, he can boast of having recorded some of the best songs of his career, one of which deserves a special mention: Sonata (Immortal Beloved), the most beautiful song you will hear in 2024 (yes, I bet), with a refrain whose simplicity is a triumph also thanks to the exciting interpretation of Dickinson, together with a conclusion in there Pink Floyd that highlights the skill of Roy Z.... That's great! For those who expected a ballad easier to join Tears of the Dragon and Man of Sorrows there is Face in the Mirror. All satisfied then, especially since the rest of the material is well above average.

Afterglow of Ragnarok does not do justice to the record, believe me, especially with the excellent Many Doors To Hell (hard/classic Rock with a tip of Scorpions at the beginning) and Rain on the Graves (which contains a tip of Alice Cooper both in instruments and in the spoken vocal lines) to follow. The Iron Maiden echo is felt not only in the fantastic Eternity Has Failed, which has turned into If Eternity Should Fail nine years ago at the hands of Maiden, respecting its structure; this is because Mistress of Mercy could comfortably be one of those successful tracks, and the guitar part before the a solo is confirmation.

After all this, there are three songs that stand out: the powerful and surprising Resurrection Men, the short but rich Fingers in the Wounds and Shadows of the Gods, in which Dickinson demonstrates why he is one of the best singers of all time.

I am tempted to post that review from Roadie Crew for a fourth time today…

OK, here it is:

Not that Bruce Dickinson has been inactive – which he can’t do, there’s to be said – but 19 years is really a lot to listen to a new album. Luckily, The Mandrake Project is exactly what fans expected, especially those who wanted the quality of its previous three records. With the same lineup as Tyranny of Souls (2005) - Roy Z (guilt and bass guitar), Maestro Mistheria (keys), Dave Moreno (drums) and Tanya O'Callaghan who will deal with the four strings on the tour - as well as with a collaboration together with Roy Z in the creative department, Dickinson gives light to a work that transcends music, as you can see from the interview in this issue. In addition, he can boast of having recorded some of the best songs of his career, one of which deserves a special mention: Sonata (Immortal Beloved), the most beautiful song you will hear in 2024 (yes, I bet), with a refrain whose simplicity is a triumph also thanks to the exciting interpretation of Dickinson, together with a conclusion in there Pink Floyd that highlights the skill of Roy Z.... That's great! For those who expected a ballad easier to join Tears of the Dragon and Man of Sorrows there is Face in the Mirror. All satisfied then, especially since the rest of the material is well above average.

Afterglow of Ragnarok does not do justice to the record, believe me, especially with the excellent Many Doors To Hell (hard/classic Rock with a tip of Scorpions at the beginning) and Rain on the Graves (which contains a tip of Alice Cooper both in instruments and in the spoken vocal lines) to follow. The Iron Maiden echo is felt not only in the fantastic Eternity Has Failed, which has turned into If Eternity Should Fail nine years ago at the hands of Maiden, respecting its structure; this is because Mistress of Mercy could comfortably be one of those successful tracks, and the guitar part before the a solo is confirmation.

After all this, there are three songs that stand out: the powerful and surprising Resurrection Men, the short but rich Fingers in the Wounds and Shadows of the Gods, in which Dickinson demonstrates why he is one of the best singers of all time.

P.S. Posted with tongue-firmly-in-cheek. :)

Back