Bruce Dickinson

• Thread starter Thread starter Anonymous
  • Start date Start date
Just listened to both singles. Definitely listenable :D Positive: my opinion shifting towards it's all good enough for me. Biggest negative: why Bruce is so burried on AOR mix. On ROTG he is pretty much upfront, but on AOR he is somewhere at the docks. At gun point I would choose Rain on the Graves. Give me those theatrics and more!

Just listened to both singles. Definitely listenable :D Positive: my opinion shifting towards it's all good enough for me. Biggest negative: why Bruce is so burried on AOR mix. On ROTG he is pretty much upfront, but on AOR he is somewhere at the docks. At gun point I would choose Rain on the Graves. Give me those theatrics and more!
When I first read the title Rain on the Graves, I was like wow sounds pretty dark and interesting. And when I heard it I was like where’s the drama. Why tf does this sound like Sweeney Todd? So much for the expectations

Wow, this is an exciting review. Transcends music!

I like what I read about Sonata's ending. One of his best songs! Bring it on! The song is from the 90's after all. It will have a simple but effective chorus - like in Rain I guess.
Many Doors To Hell, excellent, Mistress Of Mercy (finally, info; melodic interlude? great), Maiden vibe(!), Fingers In The Wounds, short and rich, Shadow Of The Gods, Bruce on fire... everything sounds really great and promising.

The most curious songs are Sonata, Resurrection Men (surprising, again), Shadow and Mistress.
If Finger in the Wounds is in the chorus and is sung it’s just gonna sound so darn awkward if sung in continuity :D

When I first read the title Rain on the Graves, I was like wow sounds pretty dark and interesting. And when I heard it I was like where’s the drama. Why tf does this sound like Sweeney Todd? So much for the expectations
I agree that ROTG had potential to be epic or very dramatic song. How Bruce described it's inception and what he experienced at the English graveyard... In that sense the song is nowhere near expectations, but overall it's not so bad.

I agree that ROTG had potential to be epic or very dramatic song. How Bruce described it's inception and what he experienced at the English graveyard... In that sense the song is nowhere near expectations, but overall it's not so bad.
Unless he planned on lightening up & turning into a musical

Last edited:
That review is part of the hype machine and marketing cycle. I'm not doubting that there will be great songs on the album, but to point at this review and go "see! it's amazing" is quite silly. We've heard AOR and ROTG already and there are plenty of us who didn't like the latter. Futhermore some of the stuff the review mentions and highlights isn't stuff I care for. If I wanna hear Scorpions I'll listen to the Scorpions. I don't need Bruce doing his imitation of various 70's rock bands.

That said, I love how the review praises Sonata "with a chorus whose simplicity is a triumph thanks to an emotive interpretation by Dickinson"... Or in other words "prepare for a shit ton of repetition" :D
Idk, all of the reviews of the full album (the ones I've come across) say it's an amazing album. The praise in SJ's reviews were similar - and they were not wrong.

The hint of Scorpions is only in the intro. And I think Many Doors will be like Magician or Real World. About Sonata's chorus - well, the song is 10 minutes long, so the chorus is expected to be repeated quite a few times, probably more than the verses. I'm personally hoping for heavy use of melodic interludes/harmonies on this one. So far it seems like Bruce's approach to this album is heavy on chorus repetition. But this is not unusual for him.

Btw, I think this is the interview:

Bruce is going back to something less heavy and that is what really annoys me. Bruce really shines on heavier songs like "Darkside Of Aquarius", "Killing Floor" and "Abduction", for example.
I agree here. I just want the new album to be solid and amazing, not beat his previous 3 masterpieces. It would be great and wow, but it's hard.
Positive: my opinion shifting towards it's all good enough for me. Biggest negative: why Bruce is so burried on AOR mix. On ROTG he is pretty much upfront, but on AOR he is somewhere at the docks.
^Positive - that is what matters. About the mix, I think it's because the instrument-free verses and the needed high chorus with the simple riff underneath. Unlike Ragnarok. Or maybe the two songs were mixed in different years.
I agree about the dark, epic and dramatic vibe, but somehow the vibe fits the title as well - especially because of its theme.

Everyone has it's own taste. I understand that for some it may be hard to believe that someone scored this album as 9.5/10 and yet - for some ToS is great album while for me it's boring AF and nowhere near TCW or Skunkworks. Opinions, right? :)
Yes, it's all about opinions. But, I would have liked to hear another 'The Chemical Wedding' or another 'Tyranny Of Souls' or a mix of both.

If Finger in the Wounds is in the chorus and is sung it’s just gonna sound so darn awkward if sung in continuity :D
Yeah. I hope the chorus on this one to be different from repeating the title. Something like Power Of The Sun/Road To Hell/Return Of The King choruses.

Idk, all of the reviews of the full album (the ones I've come across) say it's an amazing album. The praise in SJ's reviews were similar - and they were not wrong.

The hint of Scorpions is only in the intro. And I think Many Doors will be like Magician or Real World. About Sonata's chorus - well, the song is 10 minutes long, so the chorus is expected to be repeated quite a few times, probably more than the verses. I'm personally hoping for heavy use of melodic interludes/harmonies on this one. So far it seems like Bruce's approach to this album is heavy on chorus repetition. But this is not unusual for him.

Btw, I think this is the interview:

I agree here. I just want the new album to be solid and amazing, not beat his previous 3 masterpieces. It would be great and wow, but it's hard.

^Positive - that is what matters. About the mix, I think it's because the instrument-free verses and the needed high chorus with the simple riff underneath. Unlike Ragnarok. Or maybe the two songs were mixed in different years.

I agree about the dark, epic and dramatic vibe, but somehow the vibe fits the title as well - especially because of its theme.
I don’t know what you’re talking about but I only see Rain on the Graves.

I don’t know what you’re talking about but I only see Rain on the Graves.

217994.gif

Back