Bruce Dickinson

New interview with Bruce:

The new solo album is done at 70%. He wrote 2 new songs with Roy when he was in LA the other day and recorded them. He has finished songs since 2015, when he first started working on the album.

He said the album will contain a 9 minutes long song that evolved out of a jam from the AOB era (''Midnight Jam''?). According to Bruce, it's a fairy tale, it's dark and moody and it's incredible. This will be the longest solo song of Bruce.

He will not call the album If Eternity Should Fail, but will include the song in it (maybe as the album opener). The album is half of a concept album with series of characters and stories.

He also said that he sang ''Kill Devil Hill'' (and ''Children Of The Damned'' too) during one of his shows. Hope someone will share it.

''If you're going to do a cappella, the big challenge is doing it after two hours of talking, which is terrible for your voice and all the rest of it. I sort of warm my way into it. The worst thing is trying to start in the right bloody key, because I've got no note to take it from. So I have to kind of do it from muscle memory, which works quite a bit of the time. When I did ‘Kill Devil Hill’, I actually had to take the thing a half step down in the middle of the chorus because I realized that some of the verse was in the next key up. It's kind of winging it, I don't do the whole song, I just do sort of like 30 seconds or so of it. And it's kind of cool because people hear the voice naked, which is unusual. They don't get to hear that. With Maiden it's completely different, because obviously everything is going to be in the right key, and it's in the same key as the original, so that's a whole different set of parameters that I'm looking forward to getting my chops around in May.

The crazy thing is with Maiden, the role of the singer varies. Sometimes it's really out front, and sometimes it's just an instrument, it's part of the ensemble. And as a singer, that's fine, you're in a band and that's the way music rolls. But it's nice sometimes to get things like texture, and not just the notes and not just the words, but the texture, the feeling, the soul behind the voice. That's hard to do in a lot of the Maiden stuff because it's so bang bang bang bang bang, you know? Then you get these lovely moments, like in ‘Blood Brothers’ and things like that, where it can really come out, the voice really has time to breathe. So it's not all like that. Certainly in the early days, there was like like ‘Phantom Of The Opera’ and then you have ‘The Trooper’, which is an unbelievable classic song''.
!!! The revenge of the backwards baseball cap vs the tocque (?) !!!1

The new solo album is done at 70%. He wrote 2 new songs with Roy when he was in LA the other day and recorded them. He has finished songs since 2015, when he first started working on the album.

He said the album will contain a 9 minutes long song that evolved out of a jam from the AOB era (''Midnight Jam''?). According to Bruce, it's a fairy tale, it's dark and moody and it's incredible. This will be the longest solo song of Bruce.

He will not call the album If Eternity Should Fail, but will include the song in it (maybe as the album opener). The album is half of a concept album with series of characters and stories.

He also said that he sang ''Kill Devil Hill'' (and ''Children Of The Damned'' too) during one of his shows. Hope someone will share it.

''If you're going to do a cappella, the big challenge is doing it after two hours of talking, which is terrible for your voice and all the rest of it. I sort of warm my way into it. The worst thing is trying to start in the right bloody key, because I've got no note to take it from. So I have to kind of do it from muscle memory, which works quite a bit of the time. When I did ‘Kill Devil Hill’, I actually had to take the thing a half step down in the middle of the chorus because I realized that some of the verse was in the next key up. It's kind of winging it, I don't do the whole song, I just do sort of like 30 seconds or so of it. And it's kind of cool because people hear the voice naked, which is unusual. They don't get to hear that. With Maiden it's completely different, because obviously everything is going to be in the right key, and it's in the same key as the original, so that's a whole different set of parameters that I'm looking forward to getting my chops around in May.

The crazy thing is with Maiden, the role of the singer varies. Sometimes it's really out front, and sometimes it's just an instrument, it's part of the ensemble. And as a singer, that's fine, you're in a band and that's the way music rolls. But it's nice sometimes to get things like texture, and not just the notes and not just the words, but the texture, the feeling, the soul behind the voice. That's hard to do in a lot of the Maiden stuff because it's so bang bang bang bang bang, you know? Then you get these lovely moments, like in ‘Blood Brothers’ and things like that, where it can really come out, the voice really has time to breathe. So it's not all like that. Certainly in the early days, there was like like ‘Phantom Of The Opera’ and then you have ‘The Trooper’, which is an unbelievable classic song''.

Thanks for sharing this.

^ I forgot to mention some other things from this interview:

Maiden will start rehearsals for LOTB tour at the end of April.
He loves the production of Martin Birch (praises the vocal harmonies in the chorus of RTTH) and once again said that Killers is a fantastic album.

About what he says that in Maiden it's hard the voice to have time to breathe, he refers to some of Steve's songs like POTO, Trooper, TRATB too (mainly the verses, I guess), but I think that's only in a small number of songs. He gave Blood Brothers as a great example and this is not surprising, because the song is a slow/mid-tempo/kind of a ballad and usually in songs like these the voice really shines.

Btw, I don't want IESF to be included in the album, because Bruce said the version is not so different from Maiden's one and we have it as a Maiden song. Let's hear another brand new song. I also hope the album to contain more than 10 songs.

I like this Fairy tale bit a lot. I hope 70% will soon become 100% and he will not marinate album for several years more. Soon he's going to tour with Maiden, I'm afraid his solo album will collect dust on the shelves for a year-two more. :(
Oh, maybe Adrian contributed to the creation of this 9min song.

Last edited:
I like this Fairy tale bit a lot. I hope 70% will soon become 100% and he will not marinate album for several years more. Soon he's going to tour with Maiden, I'm afraid his solo album will collect dust on the shelves for a year-two more. :(
Let's hope we will hear it soon. Bruce said that due to unexpected circumstances the album is delayed so much and he probably would have released it around 2015.
Oh, maybe Adrian contributed to the creation of this 9min song.
If the song is indeed ''Midnight Jam'' (outtake from AOB sessions) - according to Bruce it's a fairy tale and is written by him, Adrian and Roy. He also said that it is an atmospheric song but not that aggressive and this fits with the vibe of the aforementioned song (slow with acoustic parts).

The song is 5:11 minutes long:

--I don't want IESF to be included in the album, because Bruce said the version is not so different from Maiden's one and we have it as a Maiden song. Let's hear another brand new song. I also hope the album to contain more than 10 songs.

I can see where you're coming from, but I believe IESF has been quite integral part of the album from the start. For that reason alone, it'd be weird to drop it. I think it's more of an interesting curiosity to hear it in a totally different context now! :)

Btw, I don't want IESF to be included in the album, because Bruce said the version is not so different from Maiden's one and we have it as a Maiden song. Let's hear another brand new song. I also hope the album to contain more than 10 songs.

Same here.

Let's hope we will hear it soon. Bruce said that due to unexpected circumstances the album is delayed so much and he probably would have released it around 2015.

If the song is indeed ''Midnight Jam'' (outtake from AOB sessions) - according to Bruce it's a fairy tale and is written by him, Adrian and Roy. He also said that it is an atmospheric song but not that aggressive and this fits with the vibe of the aforementioned song (slow with acoustic parts).

The song is 5:11 minutes long:

Is that the one that is basically what's supposed to happen if Taking the Queen didn't fade out??

I can see where you're coming from, but I believe IESF has been quite integral part of the album from the start. For that reason alone, it'd be weird to drop it. I think it's more of an interesting curiosity to hear it in a totally different context now! :)
Agreed. If it's the linchpin of the album's concept, it would be bizarre to drop it, even though we've heard a version of it before.

Soon he's going to tour with Maiden, I'm afraid his solo album will collect dust on the shelves for a year-two more.
He seems to have a desire to finish it at last. I think he will not release it until the tour for Senjutsu is over - maybe in 2024 (if we don't have a 2nd leg of the album tour) when Maiden will start writing a new album or they will embark on a Hits tour again. The scenario was similar in 2005.
Agreed. If it's the linchpin of the album's concept, it would be bizarre to drop it, even though we've heard a version of it before.
I don't think it's the linchpin of the album's concept because Bruce said it will not be the title track, but I agree that it's part of an important story, probably the main song of the group of songs that make half of a concept album.

I don't think it's the linchpin of the album's concept because Bruce said it will not be the title track, but I agree that it's part of an important story, probably the main song of the group of songs that make half of a concept album.
It was originally going to be the album’s title track, and that probably only changed because Maiden wound up using the song. All that bit about Necropolis at the end was exposition for the album’s concept.

I'd be fine with IESF being part of Bruce's solo album, seeing as it's so obviously part of the plot, and a good part at that.

Back