Bruce Dickinson

Yet another thing that isn't music, and another obstacle to a new Maiden album.
Surely what Maiden are doing dictates what Bruce can do, and not the other way around. If Maiden wanted to do a new album, they would have done a new album instead of having Bruce speaking around the world. But Maiden aren't, so Bruce fills his sparetime this way. And it was never likely that Maiden would do a new album while they are busy with LOTB.

In an interview with some Belgian journalist Bruce compared joining Iron Maiden to being on a roller-coaster. The Blabbermouth article has a link to a video of the interview.

The final paragraph of the Blabbermouth article includes the statement that Bruce "has several other interests beyond music". No way! I've never heard of any of them.

In an interview with some Belgian journalist Bruce compared joining Iron Maiden to being on a roller-coaster. The Blabbermouth article has a link to a video of the interview.

The final paragraph of the Blabbermouth article includes the statement that Bruce "has several other interests beyond music". No way! I've never heard of any of them.

I think I posted that interview in this thread a couple of weeks ago... :confused:

Bruce on his audition for Maiden:

“When I joined, I remember going the first day to rehearse… The first day when I went to do the tryout, for auditioning for them, it was in a rehearsal place. The old singer was still with them; they still had two more shows to do with him. So I thought, ‘Well, the atmosphere’s gonna be a little bit strange.’ ‘Cause, obviously, he didn’t know, but everybody else did know that he was gonna be fired. I wasn’t terribly comfortable with it.

My ‘singers union card’… [Laughs] I was, like, ‘Ahhh…’ But I turned up. And Steve [Harris], the bass player, he didn’t turn up till later. But I turned up, and I knew Clive [Burr], the drummer, and Dave [Murray, guitar] I knew, and Adrian [Smith, guitar] I knew. And so we just started playing old Deep Purple songs, which we all knew. And then we played a bunch of other songs that we all knew.

And suddenly we discovered that we all liked the same music, we all knew the same music, we all loved the same music… The atmosphere was fantastic. And then Steve turned up. And we went, ‘Hey, we’ve been buzzing away. What should we do?’ And they’d asked me to learn four songs. Well, they only had two albums.

I learned all the songs. So, I said, ‘Well, what songs do you wanna do?’
And we basically almost played both albums back to back. And Steve was, like, ‘Wow! When do we start?’ So there was no problem at all.”

Really! Can we have the first 2 albums with Bruce on vocals, please. Three song already exist from the audition tape (Killers, Wrathchild and Twilight Zone). :blush:

Last edited:
Bruce on his audition for Maiden:

“When I joined, I remember going the first day to rehearse… The first day when I went to do the tryout, for auditioning for them, it was in a rehearsal place. The old singer was still with them; they still had two more shows to do with him. So I thought, ‘Well, the atmosphere’s gonna be a little bit strange.’ ‘Cause, obviously, he didn’t know, but everybody else did know that he was gonna be fired. I wasn’t terribly comfortable with it.

My ‘singers union card’… [Laughs] I was, like, ‘Ahhh…’ But I turned up. And Steve [Harris], the bass player, he didn’t turn up till later. But I turned up, and I knew Clive [Burr], the drummer, and Dave [Murray, guitar] I knew, and Adrian [Smith, guitar] I knew. And so we just started playing old Deep Purple songs, which we all knew. And then we played a bunch of other songs that we all knew.

And suddenly we discovered that we all liked the same music, we all knew the same music, we all loved the same music… The atmosphere was fantastic. And then Steve turned up. And we went, ‘Hey, we’ve been buzzing away. What should we do?’ And they’d asked me to learn four songs. Well, they only had two albums.

I learned all the songs. So, I said, ‘Well, what songs do you wanna do?’
And we basically almost played both albums back to back. And Steve was, like, ‘Wow! When do we start?’ So there was no problem at all.”

Really! Can we have the first 2 albums with Bruce on vocals, please. Three song already exist from the audition tape (Killers, Wrathchild and Twilight Zone). :blush:
There is no recordings. How do I know that? Well, because they planned to re-record them in 1988. Nicko states that in one of his Listen With Nicko episodes. They did Prowler and Charlotte as B-sides and Nicko says that they wanted to basically do whole two albums with the current lineup (which at the time was the classic 80's lineup). I believe that fell out of band's plans with H leaving.

Two albums? Why Killers?
I thought the reasoning was that debut sounds like shit (which it does).

Did he really say that?
In the Listen with Nicko?
He said the following about it:

"Actually, Steve and I were actually discussing a few months back about all these old songs... the old stuff that we've re-recorded, about doing maybe in the future, keeping it the same format so basically the end of the day we might actually have the whole back issue of all the stuff with this sort of Maiden re-recorded, all the old stuff that we weren't on... myself, Bruce, and H. So there you go, you never know." (transcript from Listen with Nicko X).

Make of that what you will.
What I make it out as is The McBrain Truth, which isn't always, well, the truth, ya know or even close for that matter.

As much as I dislike the debut's production, and as much as I prefer Bruce over Paul and H over Dennis Stratton, I'm glad it never came to be. Some songs have improved over the years through countless live performances, but they can never take away the charm of the originals.
Besides, with tremendous respect to Nicko, I don't think he could play "Genghis Khan" as brilliant as Clive.

Back