Bruce Dickinson on BBC Radio 4 "Any Questions" (2nd November)

Bruce's comments on Brexit have received a huge publicity on mainstream media in France. He has given an interview (ca 5 mn) on the matter, which has been widely broadcasted on internet sites of huge newspapers. After watching several times, I must confess that I didn't fully understand his point and found him rather confusing.

Bruce's comments on Brexit have received a huge publicity on mainstream media in France. He has given an interview (ca 5 mn) on the matter, which has been widely broadcasted on internet sites of huge newspapers. After watching several times, I must confess that I didn't fully understand his point and found him rather confusing.

His point, as that of many people supporting Brexit, is that they'd rather have the decisions that have an effect on the UK being made by democratically elected politicians in the UK than by people in Brussels with a lack of direct accountability to voters. As simple as that. The way the interview was edited, without the questions he was being asked (at least on the one I have watched) does not help.

I agree with some of the points he makes, but also feel he is overly optimistic about the whole thing. That probably stems from him being a dreamer and part of a big band with people that do the paperwork for them. For smaller bands, touring Europe is going to become nigh on impossible and the backlash he is getting for his comments is well deserved.

I just hope he is right and we would all agree to continue working/collaborating/trading as friendly neighbours when the UK leaves the EU. I would have preferred to stay and try an change things from the inside but, alas, that was not meant to be.

Last edited:
We're discussing this pretty heavily in the Brexit thread!

Doesn't surprise me... I always got an Ayn Rand-ish vibe from Bruce. I think he's more pro-individual autonomy / self-determination (and thus, anti big-government / big-regs) than a traditional conservative. At least in the social sense.

And maybe (pure conjecture) his cancer scare helped harden his political views? Did he rely on "socialized" medicine? Or, like lots of rich people, did he stroke a big, fat check & hire Docs / healthcare on his own? That could be a factor, too...

Bruce almost certainly has private healthcare. Bear in mind, though, he's coming from a British political and business tradition, so equating his stance with current American political ideas might be adding meanings that aren't there.

I think it's more likely Bruce simply believes that Brexit will #MBGA. He's wrong - Britain's greatness died incrementally after the war until its capacity to be a great power was eventually killed off during the 70s and 80s. But he was born in a mining town in '58, after all, and grew up with visions of the UK's world dominance being spun to him.

Well nobody gonna MBGA in that way because the Empire is no more. I agree with harrisdevot that Dickinson's point isn't clear and his presentation confusing - he seems to present a number of slightly related hypotheses on UK<->EU relationship and most of them are flawed.

Back