Blaze touring issues?

In the eighties Maiden toured with popular bands. Did they need additional tickets at the height of their popularity?
Why would you pay a popular band lots of money if you don't need them? Some upcoming band without their own fanbase in different markets will perform for free though (they get their income from label support). Steve has mentioned that such bands shouldn't pay to support Maiden, that sounds fair.

Last edited:
To go on tour with Maiden because you are familiar with the band is reserved for the children of Bruce or Steve, or Tony Newton. Better to have a harmless Dirty Deeds open up the show than BLAZE with the Silicon Messiah album for example.

I have seen Maiden supported by young and/or hungry bands so many times since the reunion (Megadeth, Slayer, Gamma Ray, Trivium, Within Temptation, Avenged Sevenfold, Airbourne, Anthrax, Shinedown, Killswitch Engaged...) than even thinking they might felt threatened by having Blaze as a support act is beyond ridiculous. :lol:

In the eighties Maiden toured with popular bands. Did they need additional tickets at the height of their popularity?

They did with Guns N’Roses in North America in 1988 (that was a slow-selling tour). Some of the other bands they toured with (e.g. WASP) were managed by Rod (sane as Helloween, whom they toured both in 1988 and then in 1996 and 1998).

I mean, the emotional part of me would love to see Blaze open for Maiden, because it would make me happy to see him on a big stage again. However, I agree with the assessment that it would be unfair to him - Maiden fans (not Maidenfans) would eat him alive.

In addition, Maiden fired Blaze. This wasn't an amicable split of two groups moving apart from each other. They brought him into a room as an employee of Iron Maiden and fired him. Steve hadn't fired a band member since 1982, remember - 17 years since. Anyone who has been fired knows that no matter how serendipitous a view you take on the matter, it can be extremely hard to get past it, emotionally.

Then Sanctuary buried Silicon Messiah, a really great album that should have gotten more attention, underneath Brave New World. Like, professionally, they've harmed Blaze. Maiden can't give him a boost, and he won't sell a single ticket more to the concert. So...why would they tour together? If they want to help him, they're better off doing what they have done - spoken about Blaze fondly in public.

I have seen Maiden supported by young and/or hungry bands so many times since the reunion (Megadeth, Slayer, Gamma Ray, Trivium, Within Temptation, Avenged Sevenfold, Airbourne, Anthrax, Shinedown, Killswitch Engaged...) than even thinking they might felt threatened by having Blaze as a support act is beyond ridiculous. :lol:
There are two ways to get a support slot with Maiden:
1. Either you get it by receiving a contract with a good label and management (like Blaze with Wolfsbane in 1990!)
2. They put you as an opening act because they know you, like your music and it is uncontroversial, or you are the child of a band member.

Blaze doesn't qualify for either alternative.

And it couldn't do any harm to have Dirty Deeds have open up the show - an obscure rock band produced in Steve's home studio.

BLAZE did well on the big stages in 2000 and 2002 btw, they played the main stage on both Wacken and Gods of Metal.

Last edited:
In addition, Maiden fired Blaze. This wasn't an amicable split of two groups moving apart from each other. They brought him into a room as an employee of Iron Maiden and fired him. Steve hadn't fired a band member since 1982, remember - 17 years since. Anyone who has been fired knows that no matter how serendipitous a view you take on the matter, it can be extremely hard to get past it, emotionally.

And it is not made any better by the fact that Blaze, even after being fired and treated unfairly by Maiden in the past, is apparently so poor that he has to go out and still do Maiden related tours just to earn a living, like the recent Iron Maiden 25th anniverssary festivals that he is doing now, even after Maiden walked all over him in the past. Sad affair.

Last edited:
They did with Guns N’Roses in North America in 1988 (that was a slow-selling tour). Some of the other bands they toured with (e.g. WASP) were managed by Rod (sane as Helloween, whom they toured both in 1988 and then in 1996 and 1998).
Metallica, Queenryche.

And it couldn't do any harm to have Dirty Deeds have open up the show - an obscure rock band produced in Steve's home studio

True, it didn’t harm Maiden in any way when I saw Dirty Deeds support them in 1996. Helloween were much better than Maiden when I saw them together in 1998 though.

True, it didn’t harm Maiden in any way when I saw Dirty Deeds support them in 1996. Helloween were much better than Maiden when I saw them together in 1998 though.
So was their studio output back then (Better than Raw vs Virtual XI). But then they handled the beginning of the century very differently...

Unfortunately, never got to see Maiden with Blaze in person.

Both of their dates in the San Francisco Bay Area (for the tour in support of The X-factor and Virtual XI) were cancelled.

And then get this: the Ed Hunter tour (with Bruce back in the fold) was cancelled in the Bay Area also, as Dave Murray had broken a finger.

Finally was able to see Maiden again when the Brave New World Tour came through.

I've seen Maiden with Blaze twice on the X Factour and Virtual XI both sold out concerts with an average of 10k people in attendance.
On Virtual XI gig I've seen every member of the band failed in different songs. Murray forgot how to play Trooper guitar solo sustaing one note in the whole solo. Nicko's failing in Fear of the Dark song forgiving his part and make fail the rest…
I think Virtual XI is a 5/10 and I didn't liked anything of the album, except the clansman. The rest looks a demo but …I think Blaze did it well on albums and tours gave it all his best.
I didn't liked how end all. Suddenly you have Bruce and Adrian back in the band…what happened with Blaze? Silence…I heard Nicko saying Elvis has left the building…but all we know Nicko.
In my opinion I think Maiden must invite to him like support them in one leg of the tour at least. Fans prefer Blaze than Raven age or any other unknown band. I don't know how is the relationship with the members of Maiden or Rod, but maybe Rod would be the problem. I think Rod and the band acts a certain kind of cinism then and now about him and the exit from the band.

Last edited:
Can you please copy paste, or at least a TLDR of what's been said there. I don't have Facebook account I don't see any comments.

According to someone who used to work for Sanctuary in the 90s, Blaze was a bit of a diva and that also contributed to him being sacked. The comments can be found in the following link.

I strolled through the comments and couldn't find the one you're commenting, could you please copy it here?

there's nothing really of value said:

" Oh Lord, could Skunkworks put up with that amount of diva ego ?? "

" Chris Dale you were there at Sanctuary when i was and Blaze had his stint as IM front man...i need say no more "

" Francisco Pires Neves you’re getting the jist " this is in response to a comment "if you ever want to know a man give him power"

" Its my understanding that his behaviour is the reason he was considered hard to work with and hence lost that front man position "

" Ben Boyle sorry, i cannot really answer that one as i did not know him previous to joining Maiden. " response to a question about did Blaze let it go to his head being in Maiden

" I did hear some things to that effect.. " in response to a question asking did he act like he was above others

"working directly for Rod Smallwood, i was privy to some conversations, not that I’d give away any more than that.
But you’re right , most people chill with age "

I've heard talk from other sources of Blaze being a bit of a difficult person to work with on tour, well after his Maiden gig while he was on his solo career. I recall a particularly harsh comment aimed at him and Paul from someone who was working backstage on one of their gigs together. Entirely unconfirmed and I never brought it up before, but seeing somebody else mention the same thing kind of made me wonder a bit.

I've heard talk from other sources of Blaze being a bit of a difficult person to work with on tour, well after his Maiden gig while he was on his solo career. I recall a particularly harsh comment aimed at him and Paul from someone who was working backstage on one of their gigs together. Entirely unconfirmed and I never brought it up before, but seeing somebody else mention the same thing kind of made me wonder a bit.

I heard something similar around the Silicon Messiah days.

Blaze's here :

Steve Harris is down to earth but this guy isn't. He's doing some sort of car salesman mantra with the words he is choosing and his whole posture is off.

Whatever about Blaze in his Maiden heyday being a diva, it's clear he's down to earth these days.

When he played Dublin on the Blood and Belief tour, there was a kid from the Maiden forum who the bouncers wouldn't let into the gig. The guy stayed outside on the street to at least hear the music, and when Blaze heard about this he went looking for him after the show and signed stuff for the guy and took pictures etc. with him

Back