Blaze touring issues?

Blaze's here :

Steve Harris is down to earth but this guy isn't. He's doing some sort of car salesman mantra with the words he is choosing and his whole posture is off.

By "this guy" I assume you mean Blaze? Granted I've only just watched the first 10 min or so (and thanks for sharing by the way, very interesting video) but I fail to see your description of Blaze in that video - more like a very energized person who is still learning the ropes when it comes to handling he media and promotion. Perhaps it seems a bit like he's being told what to say already by Maiden's management. What I found rather "off" actually wasn't Blaze but the rest of the band's constant reassurance and praise towards Blaze and the album in general which didn't seem all that genuine.

The attitude is fake confidence.

Please listen to X-Factour bootlegs. He's been consistently bad. The album has undersold and the tour has been their worst one ever since the 1970s, by average attendance. I can't see how Blaze himself did not see this.

Exactly. I haven't watched that clip above, but if you listen to Wolfsbane Massive Noise Injection you can hear an actually confident Blaze, arrogant and aggressive in his stage banter. He was never like that in Maiden, not for a second.*

*saying that it's not a personna that would work for Maiden anyway.

Last edited:
Wow, it’s painful to watch that, seeing everyone gush over Blaze’s supposedly awesome vocal performance and how the album has that “special something”.

Blaze also contradicts himself, saying that Harris pushed him to extract the very best vocal performance, but also saying that the rough vocal tracks from the very beginning of the recording sessions are often what made it onto the final album because they had such a “great vibe”. :facepalm:

I can picture Janick or Dave heading into the mixing room prepared to ask “wtf is up with the drums Steve? Why are you asking Nicko to play so lifelessly?” And right before they open their mouths to pose the question, Steve is beaming, and says “Guys! I have it! Football! Everyone loves football! We love Football (by we he means himself), and so we should incorporate a whole football theme on top of the artwork and video game themes!” And at that moment they realized Steve was too far gone to worry about the drums. “Yea Steve....football sounds great. Big thumbs up!” Then as they walk dejectedly out of the mixing room they sigh, glance over, and see Nicko recording drums with one hand free as he leans back and starts writing down ideas for BBQ sauce recipes.

I didn't liked how end all. Suddenly you have Bruce and Adrian back in the band…what happened with Blaze? Silence…I heard Nicko saying Elvis has left the building…but all we know Nicko.

He was allowed to leave a message on the band's website in 1999, announcing plans for a solo album and audition info for musicians to join his solo band.
Then a press release was posted in April of 2000.

1599916809506.png

1599916912411.png

Last edited:

Please listen to X-Factour bootlegs. He's been consistently bad. The album has undersold and the tour has been their worst one ever since the 1970s, by average attendance. I can't see how Blaze himself did not see this.
One thing Blaze has always said about himself is that he's never had a problem with self-confidence, especially in his younger years. Also, the prevailing attitude in the Maiden camp (or at least Steve and Blaze, who more often than not did interviews together) wasn't that Maiden was sinking due to quality, it's that metal itself was dying at the hands of grunge, etc. So they had a sort of underdog philosophy going--to them, sticking to their guns and the Maiden sound wasn't the issue.

According to that i read on the web It was very weird! Bruce had left the band weeks before it was announced.
Then someone had the bright idea to run a competition to replace Bruce.
Basically people sent in a demo of them singing and the production dept. and Dickie Bell had to sit and listen to each and every tape and narrow it down to about 20 of the best.

So when they had the big meeting to let know whom Rod and Andy (Maidens Mangers), and Steve Harris had chosen, they were stunned to hear Blaze was the replacement, not one of the entrants, and there was a couple of really good guys that would have been great.

I feel that Blaze never really felt comfortable in Maiden.
It was a bad choice and he knew it! He couldnt sing many of the regular hit songs live, he was not used to performing in front of that size of crowd, and the list went on.
He was a super nice guy though, just was not a natural rock star. I remember i read somewhere that he freaked out in Japan (alot of musicians have a real shock in Japan. Nothing is in English, no one talks English, etiquette and manners are very different) he kept pissing of the Japanese with his behaviour.
It would have been fine in the west, and he couldnt understand what he was doing.
Then he got lost. There is no frame of reference over there, and it just got to much for him!!

I wanted to read the entire thread before I chipped in, so having done that here I go.

First of all, I wanted to comment that the 1994 tour dates are a complete mystery, and to this day I haven't been able to confirm if these tour dates were really booked or if it was just a smart promoter trying to cash in. For people that don't know what I'm talking about, let me tell you that supposedly Maiden was going to play on February 2 dates in Prague, 2 unknown dates in Hungary, and 1 unknown date in Romania... Now, why on earth they would book only 5 dates? Why were these dates canceled? Why there wasn't any more dates booked? If they were supposed to start the tour in 1994 why then did start in October 1995 (more than a whole year later)? Anyway... let's move forward with the subject of the entire thread.

Right from the start, there were problems with/for Blaze and he has said this himself. First of all, the lengthy development of the album and the intense publicity schedule for it had a severe negative impact on the preparations for the presumably most important thing, Iron Maiden’s return to the stage. According to Bayley, he was never given the opportunity that they had originally agreed to: Four weeks of well-planned rehearsals turned into seven days of mad rushing. "I felt robbed of three of those precious rehearsal weeks," Bayley said in the At the End of the Day: The Story of the Blaze Bayley Band book "Plus, that was where a few problems popped up."

Then there was the fact about the band not only not tuning down for Blaze, but also, once again, according to Blaze himself (don't remember if its also in the book I mentioned or in another interview) that he didn't receive (initially) the sound he would get in his wedges! From what I remember he wanted some guitar and his wedges and they (Doug Hall I guess) said no, that he would only receive bass and vocals.

And the last fact that is that Blaze personality wasn't exactly the best and examples of this can be found in his own diary of The X Factour tour. He used to had a temper and would not always behave in the best way with people, whether it was the press, hotel staff, tour staff, or others (not the band) so that was an issue (Note: I think he did correct this issue after the tour).

Now, another thing I think should be considered is the fact that even if Blaze WAS or is a good singer, he didn't have the touring experience required for the challenge that was in front of him which bring us to the fact that @NickoWho comments, that is, that when the band was in Japan, Blaze had a breakdown "I broke down, was at my wits’ end. They put us in this beautiful hotel, I emptied the mini bar, screamed at the hotel staff and phoned up Steve Harris in tears and told him I didn’t know what to do. It was fucking terrible." Put all these facts into the mixture and I think we can all have a pretty good picture of what happened with Blaze on his first years with Maiden...

On a last note, I haven't really heard Blaze was a diva, quite the contrary, he was unprepared to face the challenge in front of him and the Maiden team didn't actually help him neither.

Just for the benefit of the people who might join the discussion without reading the whole thread, the diva attitude comment was made by someone who worked closely with Rod during the time Blaze was with Maiden.

I thought he sounded fairly good during that gig.
So did I initially - because the crowd was so loud we were drowning him for much of the time. When the recorded gig was broadcast a few days later it was another story.

So did I initially - because the crowd was so loud we were drowning him for much of the time. When the recorded gig was broadcast a few days later it was another story.
The show from Sofia, Bulgaria 1995. NOTE - the first song is with the audio from the album - the rest is live.

Frankly I don't care about how Blaze did the classics because I did not go to shows. As I was introduced to Maiden he was on the way out. But sometime later I discovered that TXF has a shit ton of great songs, and I wasn't satisfied to hear that Blaze can't sing them live.

So it's not just Bruce material.

Yup, it was on TV soon afterwards. That's when I realized Blaze couldn't sing at all.

Blaze was quite lucky Youtube and smartphones were not available back in 1995. Otherwise, he could have been fired from the band much earlier.

• Haha
Reactions: Jer
Back