BLAZE: The Rankings (Completed... At Last)

6. A Thousand Years
Average Score: 8.38/10
Infinite Entanglement 12/12

I don't think there's another song people have complained about seeing in the Top 10 more than you all have over "A Thousand Years". I think it's a pretty good song myself. Should it be this high? Nah. It actually got four 10 votes and nothing below a 6, so you can see how popular this one was with the voters. At the end of the day, having more voters could have probably balanced out the score, but we gotta take what we get.

Comments:
This album is on a fucking roll. The opener was great, but "A Thousand Years" continues the concept superbly.
Not totally sold on this one.
Yes, I know, this is a pretty straightforward song, but it's so goddamn catchy. That chorus, for all its simplicity, may be one of Blaze's best in my opinion. Beautiful, and very Maiden!
Very nice rockin' tune. It's not groundbreaking or anything, but thoroughly enjoyable.
Nothing special.

Votes:
10 - 4
9 - 0
8 - 1
7 - 1
6 - 2
5 - 0
4 - 0
3 - 0
2 - 0
1 - 0

#5: Infinite Entanglement
Average Score: 7.15/10

th

We're back-tracking slightly to tackle the opening release from Blaze's Infinite Entanglement Trilogy, the #5 album when tallying up album averages. Honestly, I think that without the interlude tracks it could've have ranked higher, but it did a very good job despite that. This is a pretty big record for the man, after all. Not only does it work well within the concept album trio, it also stands alone as a complete force to be reckoned with.

From the opening title track's stomping guitars you can tell that the production here isn't as strong as it has been previously... yet the songwriting is some of the best he's ever done. He grips you right from the start and leads you along a path through thousands of years, as technology advances, world leaders become a threat to man's existence, and one very dangerous man uses William Black to help him take control of the universe. There's acoustic bits, heavier bits, soaring vocals, and passionate moments all throughout the album, making it one that will stand with Blaze's best as time goes on. It's certainly one of my favorites from him, although I think Silicon Messiah is just a bit stronger for me. But it's a great album all the same.

Comments:
There are some great ideas in there and it's a fun listen (I'm loving "Human"), but it definitely suffers from bad production. This album just sounds like a demo tape.
I fuckin love this record! I found it really enjoyable. I wasn't following the tracklisting so cant really pick favourite songs but the tunes are strong IMO and Blaze sounds great for the most part. I will definitely go through his catalogue after this. Well played, Blaze.
Infinite Entanglement was one of my favorite albums of last year.
It really is a very good album. I was just listening to it a few days ago and was surprised by how many songs in a row are great and truly a good listen.
Top 2 out of all his solo albums.
Blaze obviously learned from Tenth Dimension how to make a concept album, and with narrative bits and sounds and stuff stitches these songs together into an involving tale that leaves you wanting more. An excellent beginning to the trilogy but an excellent album in its own right as well. Really, really, really fantastic.
The album has some production issues, mostly with Blaze being too high in the mix. His voice is so booming that he really needs strong guitars to balance it out. He also seems to have taken on some weird intonations here, especially on the lower notes. Very hammy and overly theatrical.
Solid effort, but nothing to write home about.

Overall:
6. A Thousand Years
7. Ghost In The Machine
8. Born As A Stranger

9. Surrounded By Sadness
10. Soundtrack Of My Life
11. Blood And Belief

12. Calling You Home
13. Silicon Messiah
14. The Tenth Dimension
15. Leap Of Faith

16. Watching The Night Sky
17. Infinite Entanglement
18. Endure And Survive
19. Speed Of Light
20. Dark Energy 256
21. Time To Dare
22. Eating Lies
23. Ten Seconds
24. Comfortable In Darkness
25. The Truth Revealed
26. Regret
27. The Brave
28. Blood
29. What Will Come
30. Already Won
31. Samurai
32. A Work Of Anger
33. Voices From The Past
34. City Of Bones
35. Independence
36. The Man Who Would Not Die
37. Life And Death
38. Alive

39. Identity
40. Stranger To The Light
41. Life Goes On
42. The World Is Turning The Wrong Way
43. While You Were Gone
44. Tearing Yourself To Pieces
45. Will To Win

46. Smile Back At Death
47. Prayers Of Light
48. At The End Of The Day
49. God Of Speed
50. Solar Wind
51. 18 Days
52. Evolution
53. The Hunger

54. Kill And Destroy
55. Letting Go Of The World
56. 1633

57. Human
58. The Trace Of Things That Have No Words
59. Dawn Of The Dead Son
60. Redeemer
61. Immortal One
62. Human Eyes
63. The First True Sign
64. The Dark Side Of Black

65. Stars Are Burning
66. Madness And Sorrow
67. Waiting For My Life To Begin
68. The Launch
69. Fight Back
70. End Dream
71. Robot
72. Remember
73. Reach For The Horizon
74. Destroyer
75. The Day I Fell To Earth
76. Nothing Will Stop Me
77. Land Of The Blind

78. Faceless
79. Serpent Hearted Man
80. Stealing Time
81. Are You Here
82. Living Someone Else's Life
83. The Dreams Of William Black
84. Blackmailer
85. Russian Holiday
86. Crack In The System
87. The Path & The Way
88. Hollow Head

89. Difficult
90. The Rainbow Fades To Black

91. Motherfuckers R Us
92. Beginning
93. Hatred
94. Dimebag
95. Fate

96. The Truth Is One
97. Forgotten Future
98. Eating Children
99. Fighter
100. Shall We Begin
101. One More Step
102. Judge Me
103. The Black Country
104. The King Of Metal

Albums:
Silicon Messiah 9/10
Tenth Dimension 11/12
Endure And Survive 8/10
The Redemption Of William Black 10/11
#3: Promise And Terror 11/11 (7.23/10 avg.)
#4: Blood & Belief 10/10 (7.16/10 avg.)
#5: Infinite Entanglement 12/12 (7.14/10 avg.)
#8: The Man Who Would Not Die 12/12 (6.61/10 avg.)
Bonus tracks 6/6 (5.65/10 avg.)
#9: The King of Metal 10/10 (4.91/10 avg.)

Albums:
Silicon Messiah 9/10
Tenth Dimension 11/12
Endure And Survive 8/10
OK, so Silicon Messiah must be #1 (sigh), Endure And Survive must be #2, and Tenth Dimension and The Redemption Of William Black must be #6 and #7, then.

5. Meant To Be
Average Score: 8.56/10
Tenth Dimension 12/12

Now we head into the Top 5 with the epic ballad that works both as a part of the Tenth Dimension story and as a personal piece about Blaze himself. "Meant To Be" is such a classic, the man gives one of his best performances, the lyrics are the great, the music is emotional, it's just a great, great song. There's been some reservations about the break where the female singer comes in, but it hasn't stopped this song from (rightly) landed up here all the same.

Comments:
Blaze's best ballad.
"Meant To Be" feels entirely too personal to be merely a part of a story, and given what Blaze has stated about his feelings and the other songs he's released, I have no doubt this is really him using a character to speak through.
This used to be one of my favourite songs on the album, and while I still think the first couple of minutes are some of the best music/lyrics Blaze has ever put out, the song dips a bit once the strings and female chanting starts. I just feel like it dominates too much of the song's second half. Great solo though.
There are a few weaknesses here, but so much works so well.
This song is perfect. Incredible performance by Blaze, and just an outstanding song overall. It damn well better wind up in the Top 10.

Votes:
10 - 4
9 - 0
8 - 4
7 - 0
6 - 0
5 - 1
4 - 0
3 - 0
2 - 0
1 - 0

#7: Tenth Dimension
Average Score: 7.04/10

blaze-tenth-dimension.jpg

Sorry @Jer but you're wrong again. Tenth Dimension is actually considered the third worst (or seventh best) Blaze album going by average scores. I think a lot of that has to do with "Forgotten Future" and "The Truth Revealed" being included as part of the whole thing. Whelp. No one really seems to dislike this album, it's very solid, a good follow-up to the monstrous Silicon Messiah, and showing the Blaze band in quite fine form.

Tenth Dimension actually tells a bit of a story, about a professor who realizes that there's something going on in the world that's been covered up and he's the first to uncover it. Unfortunately, that's also a very loose concept because just by going through the lyrics one could hardly find that there's a narrative to be seen. What makes it work as an album, however, is that the songs themselves are pretty great. The title track, the opener, the closer, and all the songs in between - including the ballad "Meant To Be" - they're all solid to great, with only a few down-steps to be seen. It's a very solid album, although Blaze does indeed have better, especially in the concept album arena.

Comments:
Tenth Dimension is as good as anything Adrian did outside Maiden, including Bruce's good albums.
I don't quite think that Tenth Dimension topped the monster that was Silicon Messiah, but Blaze's sophomore solo effort is nonetheless a great album in its own right. While its lows are lower than the debut and its highs aren't quite as high (outside of "Meant To Be"), it's still a very strong release by a band that knows what it's doing.
Good album, but not on par with the debut of BLAZE.
The "in between two good ones" album. Some really great tracks, but also some duds.
This one's definitely a step up from Silicon Messiah overall IMO. Above both of Blaze's Maiden albums, the Iron Maiden self-titled album, and Fear Of The Dark in my book.
Tenth Dimension remains my favourite album from Blaze, just edging out the debut for now. I have a thing for concept albums, and I think this one is done very well. The production is a little less dry compared to Silicon, which I feel is an improvement. Unfortunately, the band would start falling apart during the supporting tour, which definitely is a shame, as they shared an amazing chemistry, but I'm glad we got this gem.

Overall:
5. Meant To Be
6. A Thousand Years
7. Ghost In The Machine
8. Born As A Stranger

9. Surrounded By Sadness
11. Blood And Belief

12. Calling You Home
13. Silicon Messiah
14. The Tenth Dimension
15. Leap Of Faith

18. Endure And Survive
19. Speed Of Light
20. Dark Energy 256
21. Time To Dare
22. Eating Lies
23. Ten Seconds
25. The Truth Revealed
26. Regret
27. The Brave
28. Blood
29. What Will Come
30. Already Won
31. Samurai
32. A Work Of Anger
33. Voices From The Past
34. City Of Bones
35. Independence
37. Life And Death
38. Alive

39. Identity
41. Life Goes On
43. While You Were Gone
45. Will To Win

46. Smile Back At Death
47. Prayers Of Light
49. God Of Speed
50. Solar Wind
51. 18 Days
52. Evolution
53. The Hunger

54. Kill And Destroy
56. 1633

57. Human
59. Dawn Of The Dead Son
60. Redeemer
61. Immortal One
62. Human Eyes
63. The First True Sign

65. Stars Are Burning
66. Madness And Sorrow
68. The Launch
69. Fight Back
70. End Dream
71. Robot
72. Remember
74. Destroyer
76. Nothing Will Stop Me
77. Land Of The Blind

78. Faceless
79. Serpent Hearted Man
80. Stealing Time
81. Are You Here
84. Blackmailer
85. Russian Holiday
86. Crack In The System
87. The Path & The Way
88. Hollow Head

89. Difficult

91. Motherfuckers R Us
92. Beginning
93. Hatred
94. Dimebag
95. Fate

96. The Truth Is One
97. Forgotten Future
98. Eating Children
99. Fighter
100. Shall We Begin
101. One More Step
102. Judge Me
103. The Black Country
104. The King Of Metal

Albums:
Silicon Messiah 9/10
Endure And Survive 8/10
#7: Tenth Dimension 12/12 (7.04/10 avg.)

Last edited:
I think a lot of that has to do with "Forgotten Future" and "The Truth Revealed" being included as part of the whole thing.
I don't know if you remember this, but before I talked about how Escape Velocity isn't better than 50% of Blaze's discography, I talked about how TTR isn't better than 75% of Blaze's discography.

Stealing Time owns the title for "second worst song" on the album (unsurprisingly, it's actually a top Blaze song).

Anyways, I have close to zero doubt EV won...

4. Together We Can Move The Sun
Average Score: 8.57/10
Endure And Survive 9/10

I've been very open about my love of this masterpiece, so as you can imagine, tallying up the results and finding out that the epic closer to Endure And Survive had been voted the fourth best song out of Blaze's career... I was over the moon. I love this song. From the duet to the solo to Blaze's passionate vocal performance - the best in his career - it's just perfect through and through. The quiet outro is pretty cool too. Love this song, thank you so much guys for putting it so high.

Comments:
This song. This. Fucking. Song. Is perfect. Perfect. How perfect? This is easily the best song Blaze has ever released.
This one has some issues, but I think the strengths outweigh the weaknesses.
This one has grown on me a lot. Initially I felt the built-up took too long, but I've come to appreciate it more. Still think the chorus could've been a bit stronger, and the acoustic part before the ominous-sounding outro drags a bit.
Great song. Blaze sounds pretty amazing, and the solo is outstanding. It does kind of drag a bit towards the end, though.

Votes:
10 - 1
9 - 4
8 - 0
7 - 2
6 - 0
5 - 0
4 - 0
3 - 0
2 - 0
1 - 0

Overall:
5. Meant To Be
6. A Thousand Years
7. Ghost In The Machine
8. Born As A Stranger

9. Surrounded By Sadness
11. Blood And Belief

12. Calling You Home
13. Silicon Messiah
14. The Tenth Dimension
15. Leap Of Faith

18. Endure And Survive
19. Speed Of Light
20. Dark Energy 256
21. Time To Dare
22. Eating Lies
23. Ten Seconds
25. The Truth Revealed
26. Regret
27. The Brave
28. Blood
29. What Will Come
30. Already Won
31. Samurai
32. A Work Of Anger
33. Voices From The Past
34. City Of Bones
35. Independence
37. Life And Death
38. Alive

39. Identity
41. Life Goes On
43. While You Were Gone
45. Will To Win

46. Smile Back At Death
47. Prayers Of Light
49. God Of Speed
50. Solar Wind
51. 18 Days
52. Evolution
53. The Hunger

54. Kill And Destroy
56. 1633

57. Human
59. Dawn Of The Dead Son
60. Redeemer
61. Immortal One
62. Human Eyes
63. The First True Sign

65. Stars Are Burning
66. Madness And Sorrow
68. The Launch
69. Fight Back
70. End Dream
71. Robot
72. Remember
74. Destroyer
76. Nothing Will Stop Me
77. Land Of The Blind

78. Faceless
79. Serpent Hearted Man
80. Stealing Time
81. Are You Here
84. Blackmailer
85. Russian Holiday
86. Crack In The System
87. The Path & The Way
88. Hollow Head

89. Difficult

91. Motherfuckers R Us
92. Beginning
93. Hatred
94. Dimebag
95. Fate

96. The Truth Is One
97. Forgotten Future
98. Eating Children
99. Fighter
100. Shall We Begin
101. One More Step
102. Judge Me
103. The Black Country
104. The King Of Metal

Albums:
Silicon Messiah 9/10
Endure And Survive 9/10

3. Escape Velocity
Average Score: 8.71/10
Endure And Survive 10/10

So the question of the hour is: how in the fuck of fucks did "Escape Velocity" make not only the Top 10, but the Top 3 as well? The answer, as best as I can see, is that with fewer voters and none that really gave it a lower rating, this song managed to beat out better songs with more detractors. Certainly, I like the song, but is it really Top 3 worthy? I guess most people agreed that it's solid and that's what propelled it so far. Oh well, at least the Top 2 songs are worthy of being where they are.

Which thus leaves us with a final question... will "Eagle Spirit" or "Stare At The Sun" be crowned the best of the best from Blaze's solo career? Two epics, only one winner... let's see what happens.

Comments:
A very energetic, happy-feely-kinda song that fits in well with a nice enthusiastic chorus.
There are some weaknesses here, but the verse is solid and the chorus is great.
A riff that's pretty Maiden-ish, well-constructed verses, a beyond amazing chorus and a great middle part with a short-but-sweet solo...
This song picks up right where the first one left off. The chorus is a major highlight here.
I have close to zero doubt EV won.
It makes the least sense, so it seems the most fitting outcome.

Votes:
10 - 3
9 - 1
8 - 2
7 - 0
6 - 1
5 - 0
4 - 0
3 - 0
2 - 0
1 - 0

#2: Endure And Survive
Average Score: 7.39/10

th

The second best Blaze album, going by average scores, is the second installment in the Infinite Entanglement trilogy. Endure And Survive is pretty well liked overall, with a great array of strong songs (and some absolute masterworks). Personally I don't like it as much as the first album in the trilogy, but it's a very solid affair nonetheless and certainly proof of Blaze's ability to craft quality albums that fit into his epic sci-fi storyline that's been the crux of his career over the last few years.

Rockers like "Endure And Survive" and "Escape Velocity" are great examples of his ability to grab listeners, but there are also some more emotional affairs here, like "Eating Lies" and "Remember". And then of course the epic closer "Together We Can Move The Sun", which is still my favorite Blaze song out of everything he's done. So good. Overall, it's a strong album and not terribly surprising to see make it this high.

Comments:
Good songs, overall a nice record. Where Blaze is now in his career, you couldn't hope for a better album.
I liked Infinite Entanglement, but this is better, both song wise and production wise. Gone is that exaggerated 2-4 khz harshness.
I think it is a solid album. Good songs. Solid production. I would prefer a bit more guitar volume. The sound is definitely more balanced that The Book of Souls.
There really isn't a bad song on either [Infinite Entanglement or Endure And Survive], which at this stage in his career is astounding.
Part II isn't quite as good as Part I, but it's still a strong album that helps sell the Infinite Entanglement theme quite well. A worthy sequel.
This one's more uneven than Infinite Entanglement, with higher highs and lower lows. WTF is up with Blaze and shitty phrasing on these albums?
Songwriting quality is quite similar to that on Infinite Entanglement (somewhat formulaic in places), but the album is better produced. Good, but in my humble opinion still below the peaks reached earlier in his solo career.
A strong album indeed.

Overall:
3. Escape Velocity

5. Meant To Be
6. A Thousand Years
7. Ghost In The Machine
8. Born As A Stranger

9. Surrounded By Sadness
11. Blood And Belief

12. Calling You Home
13. Silicon Messiah
14. The Tenth Dimension
15. Leap Of Faith

18. Endure And Survive
19. Speed Of Light
20. Dark Energy 256
21. Time To Dare
22. Eating Lies
23. Ten Seconds
25. The Truth Revealed
26. Regret
27. The Brave
28. Blood
29. What Will Come
30. Already Won
31. Samurai
32. A Work Of Anger
33. Voices From The Past
34. City Of Bones
35. Independence
37. Life And Death
38. Alive

39. Identity
41. Life Goes On
43. While You Were Gone
45. Will To Win

46. Smile Back At Death
47. Prayers Of Light
49. God Of Speed
50. Solar Wind
51. 18 Days
52. Evolution
53. The Hunger

54. Kill And Destroy
56. 1633

57. Human
59. Dawn Of The Dead Son
60. Redeemer
61. Immortal One
62. Human Eyes
63. The First True Sign

65. Stars Are Burning
66. Madness And Sorrow
68. The Launch
69. Fight Back
70. End Dream
71. Robot
72. Remember
74. Destroyer
76. Nothing Will Stop Me
77. Land Of The Blind

78. Faceless
79. Serpent Hearted Man
80. Stealing Time
81. Are You Here
84. Blackmailer
85. Russian Holiday
86. Crack In The System
87. The Path & The Way
88. Hollow Head

89. Difficult

91. Motherfuckers R Us
92. Beginning
93. Hatred
94. Dimebag
95. Fate

96. The Truth Is One
97. Forgotten Future
98. Eating Children
99. Fighter
100. Shall We Begin
101. One More Step
102. Judge Me
103. The Black Country
104. The King Of Metal

Albums:
Silicon Messiah 9/10
#2: Endure And Survive 10/10 (7.39/10 avg.)

So the question of the hour is: how in the fuck of fucks did "Escape Velocity" make not only the Top 10, but the Top 3 as well?
Probably because it’s one of his best songs, with the best chorus of any of his songs.

Oh well, at least the Top 2 songs are worthy of being where they are.
Not even remotely close, IMO. The top 2 are middling songs that have no business being in the top 10, much less the very top of the rankings. I don’t know what you folks are smoking. :huh:

Back