Blaze Bayley

I can imagine Blaze writing a song for his... next.... studio... albummm!!! about his battle with COVID.

With a bit more serious note, I wish all the best for Blaze... too bad he has to cancel shows, as they're probably quite a significant part of his income, even if his album(s) and merchandise has sold relatively well during these tough times.

You fight
You stand and fight
Fight for your life
Stand and fight, stand and fight, for your lifeeeeeee

As Live as it gets is such a great live record. I wish he'd managed to record the show for a DVD

Nah, it’s truth in advertising — if you want a Blaze live album to sound any good, being partially recorded in the studio is as live as it gets.
And the same goes for other singers performing material originally recorded by Blaze! Could be a great idea to do it like Sneap and Blaze, and record some vocal parts in the studio for future releases, judging from the recording above...

Last edited:
Could be a great idea to do it like Sneap and Blaze, and record some vocal parts in the studio for future releases, judging from the recording above...
Video unavailable. I’m going to guess it’s a cherry-picked bad performance of Bruce singing a Blaze song.

Nah, it’s truth in advertising — if you want a Blaze live album to sound any good, being partially recorded in the studio is as live as it gets.

giphy.gif

And the same goes for other singers performing material originally recorded by Blaze! Could be a great idea to do it like Sneap and Blaze, and record some vocal parts in the studio for future releases, judging from the recording above...

It's a hit and miss in terms of Bruce singing Blaze songs. I don't think he did a very good job on Man on the Edge or Futureal, but he's regularly great on Sign of the Cross, Lord of the Flies on DOTR was alright, and most recordings of The Clansman are good too. A

I will say this as someone who really loves Blaze, who thinks The X Factor is the best Maiden album, who worships Silicon Messiah like gospel and who regularly enjoys bootlegs of the TXF and VXI tours - there are some Bruce songs Blaze just can't sing. The Trooper is one, The Evil That Men Do is another, if you consider that the recording that made it on the Futureal single is the best take they could get. The biggest mistake Maiden made with Blaze was the way the VXI tour was put together. It was too grueling a tour for a set so challenging for him.

Out of all those tracks, SOTC and Man on the Edge have compatible phrasing to what Dickinson usually does. I think he sounds great there.

It's about involvment anyway, there's nothing technical that Blaze did in Maiden that can't be done by Bruce. Yes, Blaze can probably sing more consistently in a very low register but Maiden never did such a song with anyone.

You can actually hear (and see) that he's not really into Futureal or Lord of the Flies.

I like Blaze doing his own songs more than with Bruce. Not that Bruce really sings any Blaze songs anyway besides Lord of the Flies, Futureal, Clansman, and Sign of the Cross.

Out of all those tracks, SOTC and Man on the Edge have compatible phrasing to what Dickinson usually does. I think he sounds great there.

Yeah, I think that Bruce gives songs like SOTC and The Clansman that epic, dynamic and theatrical edge that Blaze quite couldn't get at the time, as good as he sounds doing those tracks. Bruce is, among many other things, outstanding vocalist when it comes to delivery of that kind of lyrics. The way he puts weight on certain lines and such is just (generally) quite amazing. The Clansman and SOTC sounded very intense for majority of the LOTB tour and the outrageous RIR 2001 versions are bit of a live classics for a reason.

That being said, Blaze also does very good job with those tracks!

Bruce might add the theater, but Blaze helped mold the darker vibes necessary for the album versions. I think it’s cool that we’ve gotten to hear the songs done by both of them; same with the Di’Anno material.

Bruce might add the theater, but Blaze helped mold the darker vibes necessary for the album versions. I think it’s cool that we’ve gotten to hear the songs done by both of them; same with the Di’Anno material.

I agree about that! I think a proper producer capable of providing some "vocal guidance" would have helped Blaze a lot to sort of "maximize" the power of his deliveyr, but I agree that he gives a good layer to those songs as it is. The acoustic version of SOTC he did with Thomas Zwijsen is quite cool, for that matter!

Back